Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2010 1:37:14 PM EDT
In 2010, the number one U.S. export to China is "scrap and trash".  Yes, you read the correctly.  The number one thing that China buys from us is our garbage.  According to author Clyde Prestowitz, China's number one export to the U.S. is computer equipment (nearly $50 billion) while our number one export to them is waste paper and scrap metal (approximately $8 billion).  When it comes to world trade, China is literally wiping the floor with the United States.  In August, the U.S. trade deficit with China set a new one month record of $28 billion dollars.

Granted this is a biased blog, but the facts at least from author Clyde Presowitz are not.
Top Export
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Been that way for years, 5 years ago out largest export to them was used cardboard , They recycle it , fill it with crap and sell it to us again
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm, seems like we've been down this road before. Wasn't Japan buying most of our scrap prior to WWII?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
They were buying all the scrap steel that wasn't nailed down before the recession, I suppose they're still at it.

There were a couple incidents of recycled cardboard coming back from China in amusing ways- I recall a chess board that had apparently been made of Barely Legal covers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought our #1 export to China was empty shipping containers
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw a show where entire towns have E-junk (electronic junk) everywhere cause the entire town is stripping the stuff down to smaller chunks to sell as scrap for money.

Piles and piles of the stuff.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Fk'um.

Maybe some day (I really doubt it) Americans will get their heads out of their asses and quit buying that Chicom shit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Fk'um.

Maybe some day (I really doubt it) Americans will get their heads out of their asses and quit buying that Chicom shit.

I hope you're right, but I also doubt it.  We like our cheap crap.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I fail to see how this is a problem.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#9]
wow

scrap metal is "trash"
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This.  The Chinese PAY us to take our garbage/scrap/recyclables, and this is somehow a problem?  

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  The Chinese PAY us to take our garbage/scrap/recyclables, and this is somehow a problem?  

Exactly. We're giving them trash and we get computers. I'm struggling to see why this is anything but a win for us.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Considering some of the stuff I've seen folks throw away?  Probably raises thier standard of living, quite a bit.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only when they are buying as much copper as they can causing the price to go nuts

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This. The Chinese PAY us to take our garbage/scrap/recyclables, and this is somehow a problem?

Exactly. We're giving them trash and we get computers. I'm struggling to see why this is anything but a win for us.

Would you rather have our trash staying here because no one wants to buy it?

If I have a pile of rusting steel sitting around does it do me and my neighborhood more good to sell it to the Chinese, or take it to the dump?

ETA: Yes, I know there are domestic consumers of scrap steel. But if they offer me $50/ton, and the Chinese offer me $150/ton, which price do you think I will take?

And don't tell me none of you would take the higher price, because in real life I can guarantee 99% of you would.

ETA2:  And this is not a hypothetical situation, either.  Earlier this year I sold some scrap steel in SLC, most of which I bet went to Nucor Steel's plant in Plymouth, Utah.  I got $75/ton.

When I was up at my cabin in Northern Idaho I took a load of scrap to a dealer at the port of Lewiston –– which loads ships bound for China –– and I got $160/ton.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Hmm, seems like we've been down this road before. Wasn't Japan buying most of our scrap prior to WWII?

Yep.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Ontario's #1 export to Michigan is also trash.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#17]
When inflation arises, and the dollar crashes, the Chinese-owned US bonds will be trash.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I thought our #1 export to China was empty shipping containers

They may not have much useful in them, but they're apparently not empty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top