Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/27/2010 6:36:52 AM EDT
How many of you guys keep you gun loaded at night . i keep mine on the night stand with the mag in it but nothing in the chamber. thats my preference. what are yalls and why?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:38:51 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO nothing is more useless than an unloaded weapon.  may as well have a rock.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:39:45 AM EDT
[#2]
i have 2 loaded in bedroom..  both with round in chamber ..  and a shotgun loaded in another room, also with one in chamber
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:40:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Always have one in the pipe. I think you gonna get raped here.

ETA not only one chambered at night but also one chambered when cc.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#4]
if someone breaks into your house do you think they will wait for you to chamber a round?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:41:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Condition one at all times, everywhere in the house.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm with you, OP.  Loaded and chambered is a little too accessible if I have a bad dream or freak out or something.  Loaded unchambered seems fine.

More than a few gun owners have woken up with their hand on a chambered weapon.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:43:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't take the gas out of the car at night either.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:43:47 AM EDT
[#8]
One in the chamber.

If the store owner in this video had one in the pipe the attacker wouldnt have been able to take two slashes against the other customer. He is racking it while the guy is charging then tring to slice the other guy. He could have pointed and shot him before the attacker got near the other customer.

VIDEO
EDIT: Watching again he could have pulled the gun asthe guy rounded the counter, but he doesnt because he has to rack it.

AR has a mag in it, and the bolt is locked back with dust cover closed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:44:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm with you, OP.  Loaded and chambered is a little too accessible if I have a bad dream or freak out or something.  Loaded unchambered seems fine.

Do you often wake up with your gun in your hand pointing at things in the middle of the night?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Loaded revolver on every floor 24/7.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#11]
AR and shotgun loaded and chambered, and the safeties engaged.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I keep everything unloaded - at the wife's demand - but I have mags at the ready for everything in the house.  My bedroom is upstairs so I'll have a few seconds after the door gets kicked in the middle of the night to load and begin clearing the house...I hope.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:45:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I keep my CCW gun (g19) loaded on my bedside table in a cheap holster. I don't want to fumble the gun or accidentally get the trigger at 3:19 AM when I'm groggy. The holster holds the gun so I can get a good grip on it.

I keep my carbine mag loaded, 30rd P-mag with 30rds in it, empty chamber, safety on. I practice charging the rifle from this setup. I always have the safety on when not actively shooting.

I've got other security measures in place in my home that allow me to chamber a round in the AR if it comes to that. The G19 is handy (loaded) if something is needed more immediately. This combination has worked for me for years.

The carbine has a white light on it as well as a CompM2. The G19 has night sights and a hand held white light for it as well. Good enough for me.

ETA: have 2 girls under the age of 5. They sleep across the hall in their bedroom.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#14]
18.5" 870 with 4+1 is on the desk next to me. Getting a mag extension soon.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:46:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I keep everything unloaded - at the wife's demand - but I have mags at the ready for everything in the house.  My bedroom is upstairs so I'll have a few seconds after the door gets kicked in the middle of the night to load and begin clearing the house...I hope.

Would she mind a loaded revolver?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Glock 17 with one in the pipe on my night stand and an 870 with one in the pipe in the corner. I don't have kids though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Im a light sleeper, bedrooms in the back, its dark, doors are locked.. Plenty of time to pull the slide back. If I was a clerk behind a cash register there would be a chambered side by side up under the counter already aimed in the right direction.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:47:45 AM EDT
[#18]
My Glock 19 is wherever I am inside the house.  Loaded with 15 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber, most often in its holster.  At night it resides in my nightstand's top drawer un-holstered.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I have my carry gun on my nightstand, condition 1, and a 1911 and Glock 20 in a gun vault.  If something happens very suddenly I can grab my carry gun.  If I hear something I can grab the 10mm and barricade myself.

An unloaded gun is useless to me.  I've slept with a loaded gun next to me for 5 years.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:50:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How many of you guys keep you gun loaded at night . i keep mine on the night stand with the mag in it but nothing in the chamber. thats my preference. what are yalls and why?

Fail.  It's not ready for use.  If you are worried about kids or something (which is valid) then  not having a round in the chamber is not going to stop a kid from misusing the gun.   If you are not wriied about kids or anauthorized access then why is there no round in the chamber?  

Guns do not just go off or something with a round in the chamer.  They go off if you press the trigger.    If you are worried about kids or unauthorized access fair enough, then use a pistol safe or some other solution.  But empty chamber is not the answer.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:51:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I have multiple loaded guns in my room at night.

...guess I'm weird like that.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:51:30 AM EDT
[#22]
No kids in the apt.  I keep a few weapons with loaded chambers and topped off magz scattered around in strategic places.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:52:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One in the chamber.

If the store owner in this video had one in the pipe the attacker wouldnt have been able to take two slashes against the other customer. He is racking it while the guy is charging then tring to slice the other guy. He could have pointed and shot him before the attacker got near the other customer.

VIDEO
EDIT: Watching again he could have pulled the gun asthe guy rounded the counter, but he doesnt because he has to rack it.

AR has a mag in it, and the bolt is locked back with dust cover closed.

Store owner at a wide open to the public stop-n-rob Vs. Home defense in a locked/secured home.

I wouldn't draw to many parallels other than don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Personally, if I was working in a stop-n-rob, my handgun would be on me, holstered, concealed, and loaded in mag/chamber plus at least one extra mag. And a long gun of some type would be nice but probably wouldn't be allowed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:53:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you often wake up with your gun in your hand pointing at things in the middle of the night?

I never have, but I've never had an AD either and I still verify loaded status before dry firing.

On the other hand, I'm not a fat insecure internet wizard with no idea of how to difficult it is to gain entry to my bedroom detected but reach and disarm me before I can chamber a round.

(My nightstand gun is on my nightstand rather than in it.  It's also unholstered.  I'd probably leave it chambered if it was holstered or required opening a door to reach.)
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:53:29 AM EDT
[#25]
One in the pipe always

Anything else is a paperweight!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:53:47 AM EDT
[#26]
full mag and one in the chamber 24x7...at another mag at no more than an arms legnth
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#27]
30 rds 77 gr SMKs in a 6920 with light next to the bed, M & P 9 with four mags in the dresser drawer, M&Pc downstairs and a J Frame in my front pocket of my jeans laying on the floor.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:58:56 AM EDT
[#28]
On my person, one in the pipe always.  Not on my person (i.e. nightstand, etc.) full mag empty chamber.  If a squad of ninjas or SEALs decide to take my house I'm fucked anyway.  Pretty much anything else I have time to chamber a round.  The mrs. travels with a revolver that's always ready to go (I just wish I could get her to practice more).  My kids (hopefully) know better than to mess with any weapon they find, but I can't make that guarantee with their friends, neighbor kids, or whoever else might be in my house when I may or may not be there.  My mom's CCW is always ready to go (and she shot top score in her class in her late 60s, which is bad ass... she's definitely not an old lady you want to mess with).
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Condition one at all times, everywhere in the house.

that

both myself and the wife - both sides of the bed

I'll quantify that with - mine is a G23 - I keep it in the holster (will not keep a round chambered without the trigger covered)

hers is a Ruger LCP - same deal - chambered if it's in the holster - same deal no trigger cover / no round in chamber

both weapons's safeties are their trigger - that's the reason for doing so. anything with a manual safety is fine to keep loaded and out of a holster.

there are times I have bad dreams - haven't woken up with it in my hand yet though

and I live in an apartment - it isn't much time between when  I hear them coming in the front door and when they're in a position where they can hurt me or my wife -  I'm not taking the chance on racking the slide - they also don't need to hear me until I'M ready for them to

also not a fat internet commando

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#30]
1911 in condition 1
Ar15 in M4(gery) in condition 1
870 with full tube, but nothing in the chamber.  I want to watch them soil themselves when I rack the slide
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Other than my hunting guns and a few .22 plinkers I keep every firearm I have loaded.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:01:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure...she's gotten REALLY weird about the guns over the last few years.  It's really disheartening because when we got married she knew I was a little off center and was ok with it.  But now, she has gotten all banoonoos over empty guns and gun locks and making sure the kids can't get to them.  What she really needs to be concerned with is being in the kitchen and making me some goddammed sammiches.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:01:42 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have multiple loaded guns in my room at night.

...guess I'm weird like that.

So do I.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:01:47 AM EDT
[#34]
I live in a nice neighborhood and have a good security system; I don't have to keep mine loaded all times.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#35]
The only time I can remember my glock being unloaded is when I change magazines or clean it.

Chambered. Always. Because shit happens, and shit won't wait for you to chamber a round.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:02:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#37]
always loaded.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#38]
loaded not chambered
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I live in a nice neighborhood and have a good security system; I don't have to keep mine loaded all times.

Kidding yourself you are.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:03:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Locked and loaded, always.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#41]
G19 w/ TLR 1, condition 1 at all times.

At night the TLR1 sleeps on the rail, weapon and light are holstered and within arms reach
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure...she's gotten REALLY weird about the guns over the last few years.  It's really disheartening because when we got married she knew I was a little off center and was ok with it.  But now, she has gotten all banoonoos over empty guns and gun locks and making sure the kids can't get to them.  What she really needs to be concerned with is being in the kitchen and making me some goddammed sammiches.

I can understand the "kids" part.  Not entirely irrational IMHO.

ETA:  I'm thirty years past the little kids stage.....so I oftentimes forget about that concern with some women.  It is understandable although I always kept one loaded and out of reach.  The wife didn't like it but...................
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:04:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Rule #1:  ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded.  

So, if you treat 'em that way, why not just keep 'em loaded?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#44]

Come on in my house at night and we'll find out.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#45]
G20 10MM with a streamlight in a quick safe mounted discreetly. Round in the chamber for me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#46]
just inside the bedroom door.

i sleep with this duct tapped to my right hand:
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:06:20 AM EDT
[#47]
If you keep yours chambered, be careful where it points.  It'll probably cook off in the event of a house fire.

Ammo cooking off in a magazine won't hurt much.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#48]
The more I fiddle with it, the more chance there is of something going wrong. I keep mine condition1 at all times rather than add another step to my drill, but I don't sleep-shoot, so I'm not worried about that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Always locked and loaded here. I live in the heart of Los Angeles and hear gun fire all the time. It sucks here but my wife and I are out in 7-8 months.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:08:47 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

If you keep yours chambered, be careful where it points.  It'll probably cook off in the event of a house fire.

Ammo cooking off in a magazine won't hurt much.

if there's a fire it's going with me

if i'm not getting out- I don't really care where it's pointing
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top