Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2010 6:36:11 AM EDT
I'd like them to be compact, somewhat rugged and under $200. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Honestly I've never had good luck with Bino's, and mostly got into carrying a monocular when I was still active duty. You can pick up nice monoculars on the cheap, and Vortex makes one that I think is in your price range.

Also, Monoculars are lighter and easier to carry.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Steiner Military Marine 8 x 30.  Right at $200.  Rubber armored,  reasonably compact, good glass.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#3]
leupold yosemite 8x  for $99.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:03:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Honestly I've never had good luck with Bino's, and mostly got into carrying a monocular when I was still active duty. You can pick up nice monoculars on the cheap, and Vortex makes one that I think is in your price range.

Good advice right there.

This is what resides in my BOB. Light weight and cheap, also provides a good field of vision.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:05:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good advice right there.

This is what resides in my BOB. Light weight and cheap, also provides a good field of vision.

Oh, and to add on to this, get one of those little flexy-legged camera tripods you see for sale at best-buy. They use the same mounting hardware as cameras and spotting scopes. This lets you stick your monocular to railings or on top of your pack as a feild expediant spotters scope, and they only weight a couple ounces if you get a plastic one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I looked through some small folding Stiener Predator binoculars that IIRC the owner said were around that price; they were pretty impressive for their size.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:07:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Steiner Military Marine 8 x 30.  Right at $200.  Rubber armored,  reasonably compact, good glass.

Thanks, I didn't think I could get German glass in my price range
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:10:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good advice right there.

Oh, and to add on to this, get one of those little flexy-legged camera tripods you see for sale at best-buy. They use the same mounting hardware as cameras and spotting scopes. This lets you stick your monocular to railings or on top of your pack as a feild expediant spotters scope, and they only weight a couple ounces if you get a plastic one.

This is a really interesting concept. Vortex has a 8x36 with a ranging reticle for $120. I am going to look into this.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:12:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:17:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Aren't binoculars better for depth perception over monoculars? I was wondering the same thing the OP asked and I haven't considered monoculars.  Seems like a good choice as it would take up less space and weigh less.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:18:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I didn't think I could get German glass in my price range

Steiner may be German.......but don't confuse them with real German glass........
I'd look into Nikon in your price range
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Aren't binoculars better for depth perception over monoculars? I was wondering the same thing the OP asked and I haven't considered monoculars.  Seems like a good choice as it would take up less space and weigh less.

More like one has it, one doesn't.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Thanks for the free bump, bro...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top