Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2010 5:51:57 AM EDT
Huh? Bloomberg Proposes Slashing Gun Permit Fees
Lawsuit Fears Prompt Pro-Gun Control Mayor To Take New Tact

October 26, 2010 5:16 PM

NEW YORK (1010 WINS/CBS 2) – Concern that the Supreme Court threw out the gun laws in Chicago and Washington has prompted a plan by Mayor Michael Bloomberg to slash the cost of obtaining a pistol permit.

Bloomberg said the aim is to ensure that no one could challenge the tough New York gun laws on the books as being too restrictive, 1010 WINS’ Senior Correspondent Stan Brooks reported.

“We want to be in compliance with the law…so that we don’t want to lose the ability to have reasonable controls. If we have controls that the courts have ruled too onerous or too unfair, we could lose the whole thing,” Bloomberg said.

Bloomberg’s plan entails cutting the price of a gun permit from $340 to between $25 and $110.

But according to CBS 2′s Derrick Dennis, some New Yorkers are nervous.

“Bad idea, because we don’t need anymore guns on the streets,” one person said.

“I don’t think so. I don’t think so. Too many people will have guns,” another said.

Charles Hu showed Dennis his gun and his permit. He’s licensed in New York, the manager of the Jovina Gun Shop in Little Italy. He said there’s no getting around the city’s lengthy gun application, but $25?

“Yeah, that’s too low, too low. Twenty, 30 years ago it was more than that,” Hu said.

Tough on crime, and pro-gun control, but pushing to cut the cost of gun permits seems to go against Bloomberg’s own core values, but he said it still won’t be easy to get one.

“The restrictions and requirements that we have, we want to make absolutely sure, are in compliance with our understanding of what the law was,” Bloomberg said.

The mayor’s concern is a 2008 Supreme Court ruling that struck down parts of the National Gun Control Law (WTF????? ) for being too restrictive, discriminatory, violating a person’s constitutional right to bear arms. But City Councilman Erik Dilan said reducing fees out of fear of a lawsuit is ridiculous.

“If a New Yorker were to sue the water board tomorrow, I don’t think the city would rush to reduce water rates. So I just think we’re sending the wrong message here,” Dilan said.

The idea is just a proposal now but one the mayor said if the city doesn’t take steps on, the federal government will.

Reducing the cost of gun permits requires approval from the City Council. Several members are said to be opposed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Cutting the price on something they don't approve doesn't change a thing
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:57:20 AM EDT
[#2]
His attempt to lower the price in order to some how avoid a court loss shows just how little he understands the fight to preserve the 2nd amendment.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:58:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They still gonna get raped in court.  They truly just don't get it.  I'll enjoy watching their pain as their crime utopia comes crashing down.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:59:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

they are approving a new type of permit since heller.
it's a premises permit that lets you have the handguns (if i heard right) but only lets you go to the range twice and obviously never ever carry the gun anywhere.
obviously designed around heller's protection of a handgun in the home, .
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:01:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This.  Unless you're wealthy AND connected, it's nearly impossible to get a permit from what I've been told.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:01:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:02:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they are approving a new type of permit since heller.

it's a premises permit that lets you have the handguns (if i heard right) but only lets you go to the range twice and obviously never ever carry the gun anywhere.

obviously designed around heller's protection of a handgun in the home, .
surprisingly that's actually better than DC or Chicago where it is still just about impossible to obtain a gun legally much less take it to the range.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:03:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Won't mean shit unless the law changes it to "shall issue"

eta: wtf can only shoot it at a range twice?  I hope that's just hearsay B.S.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:07:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I look forward to the much gnashing of teeth and wailing once they get curb stomped by the USSC and are informed that they are being total asshats and that what they thought they could control...yeah, not so much anymore.

Fuck Bloomberg, the epitome of a RINO-tard.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:15:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Charles Hu showed Dennis his gun and his permit. He’s licensed in New York, the manager of the Jovina Gun Shop in Little Italy. He said there’s no getting around the city’s lengthy gun application, but $25?

“Yeah, that’s too low, too low. Twenty, 30 years ago it was more than that,” Hu said.

I mean, I'm all for the constitution and freedom and all, but that is too inexpensive.  Constitutional rights should be much more expensive than $25.  A few decades ago Constitutional Rights were more than $25....  What are they thinking making basic human freedoms so accessible?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:21:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Basically that prick just admitted that they had set the costs for permits high. I won't speculate the reasoning behind that but it's reasonable to assume that lower income people aren't entitled to the same rights and should be discriminated against, right? Fuxck him in the neck.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:31:42 AM EDT
[#12]
As of right now, NYC only issues "premise" permits (unless you are one of a select few with "need" for a carry permit). You have to pay $340 for the application fee, plus $99 for the fingerprint fee. It takes 5 or 6 trips to 1 police plaza, and a few days off work for these visits. Wait time takes around 3 months to a year, depending on any road blocks.

You have to fill out all kinds of paperwork, list all arrests and traffic violations, present court papers/dispositions if necessary, present a notarized lease with your name on it, present notarized utility bills within the past 90 days with your name on it (as if you want to lie about where you live) list every residence you have every had, I believe you need references of your moral character, letters from anyone you live with saying that they approve of you owning a handgun, you must provide your own 2x2 photos, passport or birth certificate, etc. etc. Part time residents can not apply for a handgun license, and any "upstate" new york handgun license/carry license are not valid in NYC.

One you get the license, NYC "allows" you to take the gun to a range, but only a range IN NYC (there is only really 1 range in NYC) which costs around $400 a year). You can NOT take your gun out of the city for target practice. Ever. Unless you permanently move.

This is all illegal anyway, because a NY premise license does not allow the transport of the gun ANYWHERE, except to a gunsmith for repairs...but NYC knows that if they issue "TARGET" license to their residents, then they can actually concealed carry them (Because a target license is really a carry license in NY STATE).

NYC better get slapped in the supreme court. SOON.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#13]
The 2008 SCOTUS ruling struck down "parts of the National Gun Control Law"?  Huh? And in 2008??    Who writes these things?    
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:39:47 AM EDT
[#14]
IIRC, the nyc premises permit makes it illegal to leave the premises with a gun at any time, but special authorization is given to go to 'authorized' ranges.

this fixed a basic tenet in all of NY's licenses in that violating the terms of the license (the licenses that us common folk can get are all carry permits but restricted to a certain purpose e.g. range or business) was only a fine and not a felony.  now, in NYC, it's a felony.

In NYC now, it's not just "carrying outside the terms of your license, so we'll take it away and fine you".

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:49:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
IIRC, the nyc premises permit makes it illegal to leave the premises with a gun at any time, but special authorization is given to go to 'authorized' ranges.

this fixed a basic tenet in all of NY's licenses in that violating the terms of the license (the licenses that us common folk can get are all carry permits but restricted to a certain purpose e.g. range or business) was only a fine and not a felony.  now, in NYC, it's a felony.

In NYC now, it's not just "carrying outside the terms of your license, so we'll take it away and fine you".

There is no set punishment in NY state law for violating the terms of an (albeit illegally) restricted NYS carry license. A judge could revoke the license (which they can do any time they want to anyway), but I am unaware of any fines for carrying concealed with a "target/hunting carry" license.

I am grateful that I have a lifetime unrestricted NY concealed carry license, but I know that NYC needs to be slapped. HARD.

Too little, too late, Bloomberg. You better get steam rolled in court.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:51:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'd love to be one of those rich folks in NYC (like Spielberg, only conservative and freedom loving) and build a gun range inside my ginormous Park Avenue condo. I'm sure you couldn't get away with it, but then you could at least practice and the weapon wouldn't be leaving the premises.

Of course, I know even libs like Spielberg own guns, they just ain't for the little people owning them (gangbangers seem to have no problem owning either)
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:54:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no set punishment in NY state law for violating the terms of an (albeit illegally) restricted NYS carry license. A judge (or the licensing authority here on LI) could revoke the license (which they can do any time they want to anyway), but I am unaware of any fines for carrying concealed with a "target/hunting carry" license.

I am grateful that I have a lifetime unrestricted NY concealed carry license, but I know that NYC needs to be slapped. HARD.

exactly, but NYC changed that with the newer permits.
it is felony there to carry out of class.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:05:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

First post.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#19]
"Charles Hu showed Dennis his gun and his permit. He’s licensed in New York, the manager of the Jovina Gun Shop in Little Italy. He said there’s no getting around the city’s lengthy gun application, but $25?

“Yeah, that’s too low, too low. Twenty, 30 years ago it was more than that,” Hu said."

Serious WTF there!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
"Charles Hu showed Dennis his gun and his permit. He’s licensed in New York, the manager of the Jovina Gun Shop in Little Italy. He said there’s no getting around the city’s lengthy gun application, but $25?

“Yeah, that’s too low, too low. Twenty, 30 years ago it was more than that,” Hu said."

Serious WTF there!

I've talked to that guy Charles Hu a bunch of times. He's an idiot. He's a real jerk to anyone unless they are cops. "No, that for cop onry. Cop onry." Sells cheap ass charles daly shotguns for $450 too. (worth less than half that). They don't do transfers either.

The idiots that work at NY Iron Works, the only other gun store in NYC, are morons too. Everything they sell is "Onry for cops. Cops Onry. Cops Onry." They also don't do transfers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They still gonna get raped in court.  They truly just don't get it.  I'll enjoy watching their pain as their crime utopia comes crashing down.

If you think that is going to make them cry, wait until Cumo get elected and taxes and spends the state into the toilet.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Bad Driver? In Debt? Proposed NYC Law Would Ban You From Owning a Gun
By Diane Macedo
Published October 26, 2010 | FoxNews.com
 Print  Email  Share  Comments (762)  Text Size  

AP
New York hasn't even passed proposed amendments to the city's gun restrictions, but the proposal is already facing legal scrutiny.
New York City residents who want to own a gun may soon be denied permits if they are litterbugs, if they are bad drivers, or if they have fallen behind on a few bills.

Under proposed revisions to the police department's handgun, rifle and shotgun permit procedures, the NYPD can reject gun license applicants for a number of reasons, including:

See FOX NEWS. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/23/nyc-proposal-renders-bad-drivers-debtors-unfit-guns/?test=latestnews
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:31:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bad Driver? In Debt? Proposed NYC Law Would Ban You From Owning a Gun
By Diane Macedo
Published October 26, 2010 | FoxNews.com
 Print  Email  Share  Comments (762)  Text Size  

AP
New York hasn't even passed proposed amendments to the city's gun restrictions, but the proposal is already facing legal scrutiny.
New York City residents who want to own a gun may soon be denied permits if they are litterbugs, if they are bad drivers, or if they have fallen behind on a few bills.

Under proposed revisions to the police department's handgun, rifle and shotgun permit procedures, the NYPD can reject gun license applicants for a number of reasons, including:

See FOX NEWS. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/23/nyc-proposal-renders-bad-drivers-debtors-unfit-guns/?test=latestnews

Exactly

Sure we will drop the prices....but if you have ever so much as jaywalked you aint getting a permit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Huh? Bloomberg Proposes Slashing Gun Permit Fees

Lawsuit Fears Prompt Pro-Gun Control Mayor To Take New Tact

October 26, 2010 5:16 PM

NEW YORK (1010 WINS/CBS 2) – Concern that the Supreme Court threw out the gun laws in Chicago and Washington has prompted a plan by Mayor Michael Bloomberg to slash the cost of obtaining a pistol permit.

"Yeah, that’s too low, too low. Twenty, 30 years ago it was more than that,” Hu said.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top