Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/27/2010 1:31:06 AM EDT
I heard a meowing outside my apartment its freezing outside so I let this cat in. Pretty sure its a girl its purring like crazy and its got a big belly too. Is it just in heat? Preggers? I gave it some deli meat and milk (no tuna). Doesn't have a collar seems really clean and friendly for a stray cat not afraid to be picked up or anything, What do? I kinda hate cats but I dont want her to freeze to death but I dont want a piss reeking apartment mines already smelly enough as is. its pretty big and its kind of a snarling purr almost looks like a bobcat or something (i dont know anything about cats btw). seems to have made herself at home though any advice for a makeshift litter bed etc? We let it back outside it left on its own but then meowed till we let it back in.

pic

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:36:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Cardboard box with some towels in it, if you think she's pregnant.

Setting up a litter pan for her would be prudent.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:40:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This.  And congrats on your new cat(s).

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:40:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yeah I figured a cardboard box would make a good bed with some old t shirts or somthing.

what should I put in the litterbox though I dont have anything crumble up paper?

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:41:55 AM EDT
[#4]
She's very pretty!!

Tear up some newspapers/paper in a box if you don't have a store open or close..
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:42:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Rip up/shred some newspaper for the time being, until you can get some kitty litter

And ditto on the congrats on your new kitty  (they're actually a lot of fun)
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:47:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Rip up/shred some newspaper for the time being, until you can get some kitty litter

And ditto on the congrats on your new kitty  (they're actually a lot of fun)

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:49:41 AM EDT
[#7]
That is very nice of you!!!

Good lookin cat too.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:06:08 AM EDT
[#8]
forgot to mention still has claws but very friendly. How do you tell if its an outdoor cat. It doesn't mind being picked up but its hunting all over my apartment trying to open doors etc I guess they all do that though. I just want to make sure im helping a stray and not holding someones cat hostage.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:09:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I got a cardboard box and put an old sweatshirt in it. But now apparently it wants to come in the bedroom its already taking charge around here!!! anyways im going to try to go to sleep updates tomorrow or tonight if it wakes me up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:11:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
forgot to mention still has claws but very friendly. How do you tell if its an outdoor cat. It doesn't mind being picked up but its hunting all over my apartment trying to open doors etc I guess they all do that though. I just want to make sure im helping a stray and not holding someones cat hostage.

Bottom of her paws look pretty clean, and her pads don't look very beat up.  Between that and the fact that she seems to want to be inside and around you, I'm betting she's not an outdoor cat.  

That said, if she's stuck outside and it's cold, you're helping out regardless.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:11:45 AM EDT
[#11]
You've just been adopted.
Its ok.  Happens to the best of us.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:11:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nesting instinct. She's about to deliver. Prepare for the "Miracle of Life" to become part of  YOUR life.

she's someone's pet. They'll be missing her. Put up signs and let the local vets know about her. Also the local shelter, so her owner can find her.

Quoted:
I got a cardboard box and put an old sweatshirt in it. But now apparently it wants to come in the bedroom its already taking charge around here!!! anyways im going to try to go to sleep updates tomorrow or tonight if it wakes me up.

Dude, if you've never had a psycho female in  your life, prepare for one now. She's already taking over (as you have noted).  And she's going to have a litter, probably in less than 1 week.

its hunting all over my apartment trying to open doors etc

Cats like to have their kittens in a 'cave-like' environment, where they feel safe from intrusion.That's why she behaves this way.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:14:16 AM EDT
[#13]
She likes you! You have a new kitteh!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:15:03 AM EDT
[#14]
It's not going to freeze.  I have stray cats in my neighborhood and ice storms haven't even taken those fuckers out.  The only thing that has are rubber tires.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:16:51 AM EDT
[#15]
From here on out.. I dub thee  RolandBozzKill.

Quoted:
It's not going to freeze.  I have stray cats in my neighborhood and ice storms haven't even taken those fuckers out.  The only thing that has are rubber tires.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:18:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Look on the bright side. Cats don't know about divorce lawyers, and can't figure out how to make you pay child support. They are cute and cuddly instead.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:19:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Take he to the vet ASAP, get her the shots she needs.  They make great pets.  Once she has this litter, get her fixed.

A litter box, a scratching post, water and food bowls, cat food, and a few toys and she will be all set.

She is a pretty cat, congrats.

and cobains journal will fuck your head up, that guy was crazy as the come.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:30:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Look on the bright side. Cats don't know about divorce lawyers, and can't figure out how to make you pay child support. They are cute and cuddly instead.

All true.  I lost my cats in the divorce.  

I was talking to the ex a few months pre "D Day" and asked her if I could come visit teh cats.  She said if I was coming to visit, she wanted me to be coming to see her.  "But I miss the cats".   End of conversation.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:02:07 AM EDT
[#19]
check local newspaper, shelter for lost and found ads, someone might have lost it.   When you take it to the vet they can see if it's been chipped.  Get a litter box asap
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:03:55 AM EDT
[#20]
That's a pretty possum
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:10:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
From here on out.. I dub thee  RolandBozzKill.

Quoted:

Too funny. Buzzkill. Oh my stars.

OP that's a lovely kitty there. She looks well fed at any rate unless it's a pregnancy I'm seeing from the angle of the pic. Ditto on the advice to flood the neighborhood withnotices. Local vets too- my vet knows our dog on sight. Gpood luck- if she DOES have kittens you'll need to post pics.  :)
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:22:57 AM EDT
[#22]
That cats a keeper for sure.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:27:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Mine will do as you described, feeling out the borders of new environments and such, and she's fixed.  

She's a pretty new friend you got though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:34:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:34:38 AM EDT
[#25]
That's not a "stray".  That's a "wandered off".

"Stray" cats are beat up, thin, have sores on their feet or have been in fights, and are almost always dirty as they have spent time in a garage or under cars.  They'll stink, and have parasites.

You should put in a bigger effort to find out who's cat it is.  Chance are it's someone in an apartment nearby that had a window open or something.  It won't know where it is supposed to go, even if it's only 50 feet if it's not an outside cat.  Being pregnant (if it is, did you palpate it yet and actually feel bodies in there?  you should be able to feel them) it will have odd behavior and that could be how it got out.

Also, you'll now have 3 - 10 cats in your house and be faced with a few of the kittens dying for no particular reason, two types of food, cleaning up messes, possible vet bills. From your posts, it doesn't seem like you have thought this through very well.

Try to get it back to the owner, and then ask for one or two of the kittens.  They'll be happy to let you I suspect.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:50:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I second or third the motion to find out whom she belongs. Though I have seen my share of strays who were fairly healthy but they are normally never that friendly. It's possible she was someone's "outside" cat, as in they were feeding the strays, and she had enough and went looking for a good place to stay. In my experience cats that show up looking for a home make the best pets.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:33:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Awww.... You've been adopted by a kitty!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:40:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You've just been adopted.

Its ok.  Happens to the best of us.

I concur with Sherrick and approve this message.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:54:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Pretty much how we got our cat. Came home at 11 at night in freezing weather and snow, and this cat ran up and started meowing. Didn't want it to be stuck in the cold, so I brought it in...and we still have her today.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:59:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

That's not a "stray".  That's a "wandered off".

"Stray" cats are beat up, thin, have sores on their feet or have been in fights, and are almost always dirty as they have spent time in a garage or under cars.  They'll stink, and have parasites.

You should put in a bigger effort to find out who's cat it is.  Chance are it's someone in an apartment nearby that had a window open or something.  It won't know where it is supposed to go, even if it's only 50 feet if it's not an outside cat.  Being pregnant (if it is, did you palpate it yet and actually feel bodies in there?  you should be able to feel them) it will have odd behavior and that could be how it got out.

Also, you'll now have 3 - 10 cats in your house and be faced with a few of the kittens dying for no particular reason, two types of food, cleaning up messes, possible vet bills. From your posts, it doesn't seem like you have thought this through very well.

Try to get it back to the owner, and then ask for one or two of the kittens.  They'll be happy to let you I suspect.

Thats my plan is to find an owner I also remembered why im not big into cats my allergies are acting up lol.

I've been up all night this cats been keeping me awake im going to take it to a shelter and see what they think of it and im going to put up signs around town. But yeah if it is preggers hopefully I can get a kittey!!! Also I noticed that its claws are really long they almost go all the way around i dont know if thats anything important. But trust me as a college student taking care of another living thing is the last priority so i would much rather like to find her owner than keep it. Although she is a beautiful cat. Also she does sound really nasal in her purring and breathing maybe sick?

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:02:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Good looking animal. Always a possibility of hookworms or tapeworms though. Get the cat checked out soon.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:05:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Cute cat.

Might have belonged to a neighbor who was evicted and decided to leave kitty behind. No real advice to give (never owned a cat), but good for you for helping out a critter in need.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:05:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Good looking animal. Always a possibility of hookworms or tapeworms though. Get the cat checked out soon.
Oh dont worry ive been up all night second the shelter opens we are there

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:15:01 AM EDT
[#34]
The claws are odd... Cats scratch on things to peel back and shed their claws, otherwise they keep growing just like you describe.  I'd take a wild-ass shot in the dark and say that this kitty may be abandoned, hasn't had her usual carpet or scratching post to work on, and her claws grew out before she figured out an alternate solution.

She's obviously of good size and temperament and is comfortable inside and friendly... Not a feral stray for sure.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:15:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Maybe put up some fliers with pictures of the cat.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:17:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:19:42 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The claws are odd... Cats scratch on things to peel back and shed their claws, otherwise they keep growing just like you describe.  I'd take a wild-ass shot in the dark and say that this kitty may be abandoned, hasn't had her usual carpet or scratching post to work on, and her claws grew out before she figured out an alternate solution.

She's obviously of good size and temperament and is comfortable inside and friendly... Not a feral stray for sure.

She is definitely trying to make up for lost scratch post time by scratching up all my shit thats for sure so I think your theory could be a good possibility

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:20:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh dont worry ive been up all night second the shelter opens we are there

If you decide to leave her at the shelter, may want to try and make sure it is a no-kill shelter. Otherwise...they generally don't care whether she's pregnant or not. They'll give her about a week to get adopted, then put her down kittens and all. My wife volunteered for awhile doing spay and neutering for a shelter, and she quit when they brought in a dog that was literally days from giving birth to get spayed. They pulled the puppies and just tossed them in the dumpster.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:22:09 AM EDT
[#39]
also she kept trying to get into my cupboards and closets so i finally gave in and let her go in one of the cupboards and shes hiding wayyy back in one now so is this normal for cats to do or is she most likely preggers because of this?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:26:05 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

and cobains journal will fuck your head up, that guy was crazy as the come.

oh yeah I bought that when i was like 16 and an angry teenager still a good read while taking a dump.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:26:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Scratching post before she shreds your stuff up. Dude you are doing a great thing. Karma comes around so keep doing right by this. Cats take a while to warm up to you but once they do they are amazing pets. Get a lint roller for the hair, some fresh step litter (cheap, effective) and you will be all right. Get one of those covered litter boxes so she doesnt fling cat litter all over the place. More pics!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:27:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
also she kept trying to get into my cupboards and closets so i finally gave in and let her go in one of the cupboards and shes hiding wayyy back in one now so is this normal for cats to do or is she most likely preggers because of this?

Sounds like she's preggers and looking for a secluded place to give birth.  Put a cardboard box in the closet and cut a cat-sized hole in it.  Line the interior with old clothes.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:27:56 AM EDT
[#43]
OP you may want to change your pic as your name/address is showing in the UPS box behind kitty's head.  I'd send you an IM but I am surfing from ARL and I cannot send PMs.

Cute cat and good on you for taking care of a expectant kitty mommy.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:30:24 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

OP you may want to change your pic as your name/address is showing in the UPS box behind kitty's head.  I'd send you an IM but I am surfing from ARL and I cannot send PMs.

Cute cat and good on you for taking care of a expectant kitty mommy.  

meh whatever thats actually what my larue bcg came in. Good eye though

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:36:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

She is definitely trying to make up for lost scratch post time by scratching up all my shit thats for sure so I think your theory could be a good possibility

If you decide to hold on to her, you can clip them yourself or have a vet do it.  First time at least, I'd let the vet  They don't generally enjoy it, and there's a possibility of hitting the vein and making a godawful mess.

I'd second the above info about the shelter, cats generally don't do too well at them one way or the other, but I understand that you gotta do what you gotta do.  The way I am about cats though, she'd own me by now
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:39:24 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you decide to hold on to her, you can clip them yourself or have a vet do it.  First time at least, I'd let the vet  They don't generally enjoy it, and there's a possibility of hitting the vein and making a godawful mess.

I'd second the above info about the shelter, cats generally don't do too well at them one way or the other, but I understand that you gotta do what you gotta do.  The way I am about cats though, she'd own me by now
Im gonna take it to a shelter find out if shes pregnant has an owner etc then based on that Ill decide what to do with her.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:39:59 AM EDT
[#47]
That's not a stray.  The cat belongs to someone, believe me.

Put it back out and it will find its way back home.

Place a makeshift collar for the owners telling them they need to have some ID on the cat.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:44:50 AM EDT
[#48]
If you live near a college someone might have been living in a dorm and got rid of it before getting caught. When I was at FSU that happened a lot.

If you do decide to keep take her to the vet to get checked asap. Looks like a cool cat.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#49]
OMG OP she is beautiful..

I hope everything works out.  Keep us updated on how she is etc..
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:49:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Take that picture to the local cops. The cat is obviously accustomed to people, so the people that kept her are probably wondering where she is.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top