Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2010 4:37:15 PM EDT
I get between 100 and 200 trick or treaters to my door for Halloween.  The majority are usually accompanied by their parents who wait by the foot of the driveway as their children run up to each door and say 'Trick or Treat'.  I happen to like that and think that it shows good, responsible parenting.  I actually look forward to the trick or treaters.

Since election day is only 2 days after Halloween, suppose I printed up a nice little 'flyer' with my 'recommendations' for the ballot.  Something like "Please vote for the following candidates:" and hand them out to each of the children and ask them to give it to their parents as they grab a handful of candy.  Surely, there are some potential adverse reactions that could come from doing something like this, but on the other hand, there may be some people who haven't voted yet and still haven't decided.  Sometimes, a friendly neighbor making a recommendation is all that is needed to get someone to make a choice.

So how bad of an idea is this?

ETA:  I see how this is a good way to ruin a fun holiday for the kids.  I will probably refrain from doing this after reading some of the posts.  And this is why I posted this in the first place - because I wanted to get some perspective on the idea.  Thanks for the input nonetheless.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Expect to get tricked.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn't work for me our election makes no difference (RINO Repub or Blue Dog Dem)

I don't think it could hurt

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#3]
"Oh you look scary! What are you? An innercity democrat! Oh my goodness!"

or

"Happy Halloween, vote republican!"
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Your gna get kicked in the nuts
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#5]
maybe just give them some candy and dress like Frankenstein or something?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, if you want to turn a fun time for parents with their kids into an annoying political thing, sure.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I told my wife I was going to go as the Incredible Hulk after marriage. Shave my head in m,ale pattern baldness, stick out my gut, and paint myself green.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#8]
In before the bag of flaming poo
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Get fortune cookies with the political choices inside.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe I would be forced to tp your house on principle. That would be EXTREMELY annoying to get political pamphlets, especially when tric-or-treating.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I think it's a low-class cheap shot to try to use people spending quality time with their kids partaking in a holiday tradition to throw political rhetoric in their faces.

Is nothing sacred? If you're going to be a creepy republican curmudgeon, just put a bowl full of peanut-butter-cracker packs or some other lame-ass treat on your porch and a sign that says "take one" if the alternative is deliberately being a jerk.

In short, you asked "How bad of an idea is this?" and I respond: the worst idea anyone has ever had.

I don't mean any of this to be an indictment against you, or to represent any ill-feeling I feel toward you, it's just that this whole idea you've put forward really turns my stomach.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#12]
What would you think if a Democrat handed your kid some political stuff with his skittles?

Think about it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Expect to see all of the flyers flying up and down the street you live on for a few days after Halloween.

Because as soon as the kids take their candy, are handed the flyer and turn the corner from your house....the flyer will be thrown on the ground.

It's Halloween. Stop being one of those bozo's that tries to make everything political.

What's next? You going to wrap everyone's presents in political wrapping paper and have a round table discussion about everyone's political affiliation during Thanksgiving?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I believe I would be forced to tp your house on principle. That would be EXTREMELY annoying to get political pamphlets, especially when tric-or-treating.

I have to agree.  Kinda schisty, but hey "ain't no such thing as free candy."
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#15]
How about you keep politics out of a childrens holiday.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#16]
dont do it..
Halloween is for the kids. Dont ruin it..

If you want to do something for your party call them and they will set you up with something to do..
Or just be friendly and walk around your neighborhood and talk to people..
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Terrible idea.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#18]
How do remove egg from your front door?
You should Google this.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Only one step above handing out "why halloween is evil" chick tracts.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I can't recommend it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Let em get a handful of candy.

Tell em to give half to the kid behind em, cause thats what Obama and them Dems want them to do.

Then tell em that if they want to keep more candy next year have mommy and daddy vote republican
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#22]
IMHO  Kids care about the candy, I would leave them out of it. Some parents may take offense to your politcal influence and may not be too happy using their kid as a messenger. IMHO Pass out candy and leave the political stuff for another day.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

So how bad of an idea is this?

Look at the bright side....
You'll probably end up with at least a years worth of free toilet paper.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok, thanks for putting it into perspective guys (and gals).  I see the point about not 'ruining' Halloween for the kids, even though I don't think it would.  I certainly might annoy some of the parents and whatnot, but I can see why refraining from doing this is probably the better choice.  

For the record, if it happened to me (where I was the parent on the receiving end of such propaganda), it wouldn't bother me at all.  Sure, I would know where my neighbor stands on such issues, but if my kid(s) are going up and getting free candy from a house and they bring me back a piece of paper with this stuff on it, I feel it's perfectly fair - even if I don't agree with what it say.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Bad idea.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#26]
You're about as awesome as the guy that was going to make a political donation for his coworker's wedding just to piss him off.

If you choose to politicize Halloween, don't act all butthurt and shocked when it blows up in your face.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ok, thanks for putting it into perspective guys (and gals).  I see the point about not 'ruining' Halloween for the kids, even though I don't think it would.  I certainly might annoy some of the parents and whatnot, but I can see why refraining from doing this is probably the better choice.  

For the record, if it happened to me (where I was the parent on the receiving end of such propaganda), it wouldn't bother me at all.  Sure, I would know where my neighbor stands on such issues, but if my kid(s) are going up and getting free candy from a house and they bring me back a piece of paper with this stuff on it, I feel it's perfectly fair - even if I don't agree with what it say.

Look at the other side of the coin. Lets say you are taking your kids trick or treating and some lefty moon bat gives your kid some flyer that says support Obama or Pelosi or Ried whatever. I would be willing to bet there are some on here that wouldn't be too happy about it. Some would probably have some interesting ideas of how to fuck with this person. One thing I learned a long time ago, you don't discuss or argue with is politics and religion. Why even risk the chance of getting into an arguement with some left wing douche. Or having your property messed with or vandilized.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's reserved for the people who hand out apples, and the teachers who hand out pencils
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Time and a place for everything.  Politics probably shouldn't come into play on a holiday for the kiddos.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#30]
This is probably the stupidest idea I've come across in the last year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top