Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2010 3:43:29 AM EDT

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8326353/

Mom says 'fake pot' nearly killed children

Posted: September 21

Updated: 6:32 p.m. Sunday

A Lillington mother says her two teenage children almost died Monday
evening after smoking an incense that mirrors the effects of marijuana.

Kaylee Jones, 17, and her 14-year-old stepbrother bought the synthetic herb, called K2, at a gas station in Harnett County.

Shortly after smoking it, their mother, Vallory Koski said, they were rushed to a local hospital with high pulse rates.

Doctors told Koski the teens nearly went into cardiac arrest.

"Her
heart rate got up to 178 beats (per minute) when it should be 100, and
my stepson's got up to 162," Koski said. "They almost died last night
because of this legal synthetic marijuana."

The substance, readily available and legal in North Carolina, is sold under many different names as an aromatherapy incense.

<snip>

Thanks for using up valuable hospital, and other health resources you fucktards!

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:48:41 AM EDT
[#1]
They wanted body altering substances, and got it.  They fail.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:49:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Here it is called Spice. City by City, they are banning it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:51:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

same here.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:58:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Good thing she is not trying to stop her kids from using drugs, just banning this one.  I think we would be better off without that whole family.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:00:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Never heard of a cardiac arrest from reefer, good thing they outlawed that!

This new stuff is way better for you.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:01:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Good thing she is not trying to stop her kids from using drugs, just banning this one.  I think we would be better off without that whole family.

What's funny is that this sounds more like Ephedrine overdose than Spice to me.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:01:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I was about to say that we finally found an instance where pot almost killed somebody, but it was a false alarm.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:17:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Reminds me of  THIS
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:21:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:22:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Darwin almost won.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:23:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like they had fun.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:31:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We are seeing this stuff on a regular basis now.

For our pot smokers, does it really get you high like weed?

My understanding is, (and no, I don't smoke pot, but I have many friends who do) is that this stuff can indeed get you high very much like weed. It is supposed to be super-potent because it essentially a nice smelling herb (that does little or nothing) with a chemical compound applied to it.

One of my buddies says that this stuff is very very strong and should be used in very small doses for inexperienced users, otherwise you end up with someone who is going to freak out. You know, like a 17 and 14 year old. The little shits had panic attacks.

BTW, all these things have a notice on the package that says "not for human consumption" and "see a doctor immediately if ingested." Anyway, the stuff is very expensive, and marketed and sold as incense.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:33:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Stupid teenagers getting too high and having a freakout.  They'd have been fine if they'd just waited it out, but nooooooooooo.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:43:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It's supposed to be a synthetic clone.

Thing is, the shit is made in Chinese labs, so who the fuck knows what ends up in it?

Or how much chemical ends up in one bag versus another.

I think it's pretty unwise to dick around with this sort of thing, it's not like you can't get marijuana itself for half the price

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#15]
YOU"RE BUGGIN" OUT MAN!!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:56:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thing is, the shit is made in Chinese labs, so who the fuck knows what ends up in it?

I think it's pretty unwise to dick around with this sort of thing, it's not like you can't get marijuana itself for half the price

The problem is two fold:

1) Stupid people thinking if a little is good, alot must be better. On their first try they injest too much and freak out, go to the er, and all these reports come out even though NO ONE has directly died from injesting this stuff. How many more people (especially teens) die every year from alcohol poisoning and related problems?

2) People are smoking this stuff because it doesn't show up on drug tests and marijuana does. Kinda like how some on parole for weed go to using harder drugs because they get out of the system faster.

Daniel
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:00:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I'm not a doper. I have smoked pot before.

And yes, I have tried the synthetic stuff. It gives you a similar high to marijuana. Slows your talking down, makes you lazy and lethargic.

From the research I have done, it's not a "synthetic clone" exactly. What you do is take an assortment of fancy looking/smelling herbs, and apply a substance called "JHW-017" or something like that. It's just a white powdery crystalline substance. There are many different JHW molecules that react with the cannaboid receptors in the body and the stuff you buy can have any combination of those JHWs.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

There was an extensive article about it in my college's student newspaper recently (even though I graduated in 2001 I get it emailed to me because they have great articles about the sports programs).

Marijuana contains a number of canniboids, of which THC is just one.  They all have psychoactive effects to some extent.  Apparently Spice (there are many varieties) contains some of them and CAN have similar effects, depending on the canniboids present.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Chemicals from China!  Let's smoke it!
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:23:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

same here.

It must flow!

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#21]
nelson_ha-ha.tif
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Did I make it in before DIXIE?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:05:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Smoked quite a bit of pot in high school, but I'll pass on trying that imitation shit. Part of the appeal of pot is the lack of things like overdose, hangovers and fucking cardiac arrest. The few friends that I have that smoke, all smoke pot-none of them seem very keen on the fake stuff.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:06:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yip.  He'll be along shortly, to tell us it has had no affect on him in broken English with a plethora of misspelled words.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Idiots, why smoke anything. Oral fixations are nasty.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:11:11 AM EDT
[#27]
so we wage a war against marijuana only to have a more dangerous and legal substitute replace it?   win
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
so we wage a war against marijuana only to have a more dangerous and legal substitute replace it?   win

I think thats win too.

I love Natural Selection, only if we could find a way to make it a bit more deadly.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Why is that guy still around?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No kidding.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

What could possibly go wrong?

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Play stupid games...
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding is, (and no, I don't smoke pot, but I have many friends who do) is that this stuff can indeed get you high very much like weed. It is supposed to be super-potent because it essentially a nice smelling herb (that does little or nothing) with a chemical compound applied to it.

One of my buddies says that this stuff is very very strong and should be used in very small doses for inexperienced users, otherwise you end up with someone who is going to freak out. You know, like a 17 and 14 year old. The little shits had panic attacks.

BTW, all these things have a notice on the package that says "not for human consumption" and "see a doctor immediately if ingested." Anyway, the stuff is very expensive, and marketed and sold as incense.

Most likely they just got scared. Also, they probably smoked way too much, but that is hard to know when you don't know how much jwh they put on it. You are best off avoiding the crappy herb stuff and just buying pure jwh-018. 1 gram of jwh is enough for about 500 doses for a single person which is much cheaper than weed.

It has a very intense, synthetic high. I can't say I liked it at all.  My heart felt like it was gonna pound out of my chest, but certain strains of weed will do that too. I'm not a big fan of body highs and that is what jwh mainly does. Though I did something like double a normal dosage. (4mg) That is two tiny hits with virtually no smoke.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Why couldn't they just stick with the real deal?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

because its illegal
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Just because it's "legal" doesn't mean it can't/won't harm you. My nephew got his shit rocked by this stuff (Space.) Good kid out with his friend celebrating his 18Th BD,decided he wanted to feel the effects of Marijuana so since Space was legal he wouldn't be breaking any laws.  (Aww the thought process of the teen-aged male)

Basically, he went into convulsions,super V-tac, spiked core temperature,went into a mind fuck hallucination that he can just barely now speak about.  His buddies did call the ambulance and got him to the ER. He was close to death as he came in he was an ashen grey color with white lips. Those who are first responders know that look.

After all was said and done the plant matter that was sprayed with that fertilizer (yes FERTILIZER––> JWH-018) had a large showing of gypsum weed aka loco weed  (a hallucinogenic itself) Since they market it as incense and not for Human consumption. They can use what ever plant material they choose, and then coat it with this fertilizer.

He would of been better off smoking some pot instead of that shit...

The next stuff that is going to cause harm are these 12% by volume,caffeinated and chemically added liquor drinks that are rapidly becoming very popular amongst the teen party crowd.. A brand called Loko is showing up here.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

because its illegal

Well the gubment does know best...
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm trying hard to be sympathetic. It's not happening.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yip.  He'll be along shortly, to tell us it has had no affect on him in broken English with a plethora of misspelled words.

He's probably busy dosing up on some colloidal silver.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Never heard of a cardiac arrest from reefer, good thing they outlawed that!

This new stuff is way better for you.

[/Thread]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Idiots, why smoke anything. Oral fixations are nasty.

Ultimate AR15 irony, hate weed, love tobacco.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Wow

I had no idea that was available.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#46]
what a giant croc of shit
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Sometimes the gene pool gets a gov't bailout.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Ain't no way this shit is good for you. Also bet these young tykes would have been fine in about 5 more minutes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Is 172 a high heart rate, if 100 is a normal heart rate?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ain't no way this shit is good for you. Also bet these young tykes would have been fine in about 5 more minutes.

Hasn't been shown (yet) to be bad for you.  I've bought and used K2 on 3 different occasions. I enjoy it personally.  The high is similar to weed, but it doesn't last as long, and I don't feel all tired and shit after I come down.  

Having said that...I did get "The Fear(C)" from it once.  My preferred method of use is to empty out part of a cigarette and refill with K2.  Well, in my infinite wisdom, some is good, more is better...yeah...smoked about 3/4 of a cig worth of K2 and got "The Fear(C)".  It sucked for like 20 minutes, but I knew it would pass, and tried to enjoy the hallucinations I got.

Also, I'm pretty sure supra-ventricular tachycardia (which it sounds like these kids had) can not cause cardiac arrest.  Unless, that is, my cardiologist lied to me.  I get random episodes of SV tach (started well before I ever used K2), my heart rate gets to around 190 when it happens, and have been assured it's not life-threatening, just an annoyance.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top