Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2002 4:24:42 PM EDT
... Pretty young, I can only guess at the cause of death.

[url]http://www.erie.net/%7eholliday/BIOLAYN.HTM[/url]

[img]http://www.erie.net/%7eholliday/AICL.GIF[/img]
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#1]
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I guess now he really is the man in the box.

BWHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I am so depressed... [V]
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Another tragic loss. What an incredibly talented musician he was. I feel empty.........
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
TV news last night was reporting that it was a heroin overdose.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/04/20/staley.dead/index.html[/url]

Well, at least he didn't join the "27 club"
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#6]
The Needle And The Damage Done.

ARH
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#7]
'Tis a shame...that band put out some good music.  Now both front men are dead.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#8]
What is the "27 club"?

ARH
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Man what a bummer. Layne put out some outstanding music with AIC.

I guess sucess killed him, make a million bucks, lock yourself up in a nasty little apartment and shoot heroin all day.
Seems like a waste. check that, It Is a waste.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Layne Staley's talent will be missed.    
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#11]
ARH- The "27 Club" refers to the age of 27 when several rock stars died, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, maybe more.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, herione OD. One less dumbass rocker in the gene pool.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks attereb92.

ARH
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

YES
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

YES
View Quote

Good. I thought it was just me.  Anyone that sticks narcotics in their veins shouldn't really be that suprised that they just might die.  This same person shouldn't be suprised that I don't spend a lot of time wringing my hands over the "lost genius".
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
'Tis a shame...that band put out some good music.  Now both front men are dead.
View Quote

Who was the other front man?
{edited to add}
There was a rumor going around when their last video was released that he had lost an arm due to shooting up so much. Any truth to that?
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I believe Kurt Cobain was 27 when he died as well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#18]

"Real Thing

I messed around as a little boy
I grew up, made the blade my new toy
Friends said boy with what you screwin' around I said Don't concern yourselves and just
Gimme another blast
Yeah

Under the hill, with just a few notches on my belt
Taake it away, don't want no more
Even if you say just one more
I won't leave you alone

I grew up, went into rehab
You know the doctors never did me no good
They said son you're gonna be a new man
I said thank you very much and
Can I borrow fifty bucks?

'Cause I'm goin' down the steps on a white lne
Goin' down the steps on a white line
Goin' down the steps on a white line
Straight to nowhere"

[:(]

Link Posted: 4/20/2002 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Layne had a great voice & he & the band will be missed but honestly the real creative force behind the band,Jerry Cantrell, the lead guitarist & songwriter lives on & he continues to make music.

Link Posted: 4/20/2002 11:50:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

YES
View Quote

... Fuck you both
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#21]
[size=6]WHO? Never heard of him.[/size=6]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 1:25:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Make no mistake. For each and every individual spirit that these motherfuckers condemn to enslavement and death, someone will be there to speak for them.

In spite of the fact that my musical tastes lean more toward Prince, Hip Hop, good r&b, Meshell Ndegeocello, and Keb' Mo'-- the fact that there are organized, conscious forces that create SO many tortured spirits through drugs, alcohol, and other means enrages me to no end.

For every spirit and voice that the anti-life, anti-freedom, anti-love motherfuckers kill or enslave, there will be those of us who carry, bear, and avenge their spirits one thousand fold.

The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust

Link Posted: 4/21/2002 1:54:12 AM EDT
[#23]
The death of Layne Staley is truly a loss, but I agree with others that ultimately he did it to himself.  I consider it to be no different than if he'd put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger.  Drugs, especially heroin, are a cruel bitch of a master.  I've seen first hand what heroin and cocaine can do to people, and sometimes death isn't the worst thing that can happen to you.  Metallica's "Master of Puppets" comes to mind.

I hope he was right with God, and my prayers go out to his friends and family.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 3:19:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[size=6]WHO? Never heard of him.[/size=6]
View Quote

This guy...

[img]http://members.aol.com/amass97/aic/rslayne.gif[/img]

[url]http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/AliceInChains/sounds/AliceInChains/HeavenBesideYou.wav[/url]

[url]http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/AliceInChains/sounds/Facelift/ManInTheBox.wav[/url]
View Quote

I guess maybe I should have said I don't care!
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 4:09:06 AM EDT
[#25]
It's ironic that so many are saying that he'll be so greatly missed, because that's simply not the case...  

Just think about this... If it was actually missed by anyone, he wouldn't have been found decomposed!
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 6:14:39 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

And you're telling us this because...? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 6:20:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I think AIC was a great band (I have all of their albums). Actually, I am kind of surprised he lived this long - he had a very serious problem with depression.

Tyler

Lyrics from the song "Dirt", from the album "Dirt"
=========
I Have Never Felt Such Frustration
Or Lack Of Self Control
I Want You To Kill Me
And Dig Me Under, I Wanna Live No More

One Who Doesn't Care Is One Who Shouldn't Be
I've Tried To Hide Myself From What Is
Wrong For Me, For Me

I Want To Taste Dirty, A Stinging Pistol
In My Mouth, On My Tongue
I Want You To Scrape Me From The Walls
And Go Crazy Like You've Made Me

You, You Are So Special
You Have The Talent To
Make Me Feel Like Dirt
And You, You Use Your
Talent To Dig Me Under
And Cover Me With Dirt
=======

Tyler
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Sharpshooter, I hope someone has such nice things to say about you when you leave this earth.  I weep for Layne and his family.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

YES
View Quote

Good. I thought it was just me.  Anyone that sticks narcotics in their veins shouldn't really be that suprised that they just might die.  This same person shouldn't be suprised that I don't spend a lot of time wringing my hands over the "lost genius".
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

YES
View Quote

View Quote

Agreed
View Quote

You know...  Noone said that they were suprised.  They expressed greif and loss, but not suprise.  Everyone that liked AIC knew about Layne's addiction and they are all certainly adult enough to understand what happens when someone is addicted to smack.  It takes a real needle-dick to take the time to pop in here and REMIND us all of what happens to people that are addicted to heroin.  THANKS FOR THE F*CKING REMINDER.  I TREASURE YOUR VALUABLE INPUT.  STFU and leave your judgements somewhere else.  Talk about a lack of tact and class...

AntiUSSA - I guess if people really missed hendrix's music, he wouldn't have waited hours for medical attention he needed to keep him alive eh?  I guess noone really gave a crap about his music either.  I could draw other parallels, but I'll stop there in hopes that you get my point.

For those of you with taste and tact - Dirt is in my CD player right now.  Terrible waste.  For the guy that mentioned Jerry Cantrell, I disagree.  While Cantrell was a major part of the band, his solo project blew goats when compared to AIC.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

YES
View Quote

View Quote

Agreed
View Quote

You know...  Noone said that they were suprised.  They expressed greif and loss, but not suprise.  Everyone that liked AIC knew about Layne's addiction and they are all certainly adult enough to understand what happens when someone is addicted to smack.  It takes a real needle-dick to take the time to pop in here and REMIND us all of what happens to people that are addicted to heroin.  THANKS FOR THE F*CKING REMINDER.  I TREASURE YOUR VALUABLE INPUT.  STFU and leave your judgements somewhere else.  Talk about a lack of tact and class...

AntiUSSA - I guess if people really missed hendrix's music, he wouldn't have waited hours for medical attention he needed to keep him alive eh?  I guess noone really gave a crap about his music either.  I could draw other parallels, but I'll stop there in hopes that you get my point.

For those of you with taste and tact - Dirt is in my CD player right now.  Terrible waste.  For the guy that mentioned Jerry Cantrell, I disagree.  While Cantrell was a major part of the band, his solo project blew goats when compared to AIC.
View Quote

... Thank you, very well said [b]Gr8Scott[/b].

I to am listening to AIC today, loudly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Gr8Scott
Quoted:

View Quote

AMEN!!! You tell'em Gr8Scott. Listening to 'Jar of Flies' as we speak...
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
... Thank you, very well said [b]Gr8Scott[/b].

I to am listening to AIC today, loudly.
View Quote

Good on ya man.  I wonder how many more rocket scientists will stop in and explain to us that heroin use is dangerous...
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interesting way of not caring--read the topic, post "Who?" in a really large, obnoxious font, then check back later so you can tell everyone how little you care.

Why did you even bother posting the first time, much less the second?
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
For the guy that mentioned Jerry Cantrell, I disagree.  While Cantrell was a major part of the band, his solo project blew goats when compared to AIC.
View Quote

Hey,  I wasn't dissing Layne,  I said he was a great singer & it's sad that he was never able to overcome his addictions but IMHO at least Jerry Cantrell is still around because i think he's a talented songwriter & musician too.

Your point is valid though in the sense often a band is greater than the sum of it's members.
 Loose a key member in part of the creative process & it's never the same.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't find it sad this dork is dead.

I do find it sad that some of you take it so to heart. You "weep" for him?

Man you guys need to get a freaken life.

He IS just a musician. I understand how heartbroken you are that he won't release another CD and all, but I think you'll be just fine because of it.

It's not like it was some kind of accident or something, he was a shithead who killed himself.

I'm amazed at how sad you are all by this relatively trivial matter. I shudder to think how a real tragedy would "bum you out".

You should form a support group or something.

Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Geez some of youz guys are pretty harsh.

This guy is dead.  I liked his music.  I am sorry he's dead.  Not all weepy maybe, but hey, too bad he's dead.  Even though he did it to himself.

BTW, ever seen the pix of Layne when he was in an '80s heavy metal band?  Music aside, it makes ya wonder how much of his "alternative persona" was real and how much was show biz.  But it still is good music.

And I read somewhere that way back when, Jerry Cantrell missed a gig once.  Why?  Because he was out hunting and forgot what day the gig was.

Anyway, I am sorry Layne is dead, RIP.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Oh yeah, and even though I liked AIC, Layne had too many tunes in which he's wallowing in the self-imposed "drama" of his addiction.  Wotta fool.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

He IS just a musician. I understand how heartbroken you are that he won't release another CD and all, but I think you'll be just fine because of it.

It's not like it was some kind of accident or something, he was a shithead who killed himself.

I'm amazed at how sad you are all by this relatively trivial matter. I shudder to think how a real tragedy would "bum you out".

View Quote

LMFAO..... typical!

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like AIC and I consider their earlier works to be absolute genius.  When a genius dies, people are going to be sad when they think about the loss of potential.  If Stephen Hawkings died today, you would be hearing lamentations from every scientist, physics student, and teacher in the world.  He is a very ill man and he could die by making the smallest mistake, so it shouldn't suprise anyone when it happens.  Yet I think it would make absolutely no difference to those people that admire his work and his genius.  Maybe Layne Staley wasn't the Stephen Hawkings of the music world and maybe he was.  Regardless, he was good enough to make music that I enjoyed.  I guess it isn't ok in your book to feel sad when you hear about the death of someone who created something you really enjoyed a lot, but it is in mine.  I guess it isn't ok to feel sad about the death of Briancav either, given that I have never met him and he was tragically flawed.  I did feel sad because I enjoyed reading his posts and I think it was a terrible waste when he killed himself.  He was bright and funny and he could be around right now poking fun at me for feeling sad about the death of Layne Staley or he could be sad like me.  Instead he is just gone and he won't be feeling anything.  Brian's death was a terrible waste just like Layne Staley.  If you don't understand that, fine.  I don't really see the need to explain this any further.

CNATRA - I hope you didn't read my response as a flame.  I knew that you weren't attacking LS and I was simply responding with what I truly remembered about the Boggy Depot CD.  I know that the tone earlier on in the post was pretty harsh and the blowing goats comment wasn't helpful, and I apologise for that.  I bought that CD and I was so disappointed with it that I gave it away.  Cantrell is talented and I think he could produce some great work, but he needs some sort of backbone to help him keep things straight.  Maybe I'm spoiled and I couldn't get used to Jerry with no Layne mixed in.  I prefer the contrast of deep manic lows and soaring lush harmonies that older AIC delivered.  Boggy Depot seemed to be all lows and no lush harmonies to me.  Sort of like being caged up in a basement somewhere with no light.  Regardless, if you dig Jerry I certainly respect that and I commend your choice of musicians.  He is indeed a man of extreme talent.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I guess now he really is the man in the box.
View Quote

Yeah...  and Down in a Hole, too!

I knew he wouldn't make it through the year, though.  Sad, cuz AiC were awesome.

the_reject
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#44]
When a genius dies, people are going to be sad when they think about the loss of potential. If Stephen Hawkings died today, you would be hearing lamentations from every scientist, physics student, and teacher in the world. He is a very ill man and he could die by making the smallest mistake, so it shouldn't suprise anyone when it happens. Yet I think it would make absolutely no difference to those people that admire his work and his genius. Maybe Layne Staley wasn't the Stephen Hawkings of the music world and maybe he was.
View Quote

Yo, don't be dissin' MC Hawking, sucka! [:D]

[img]http://www.mchawking.com/images/pics/rage_1.jpg[/img]

[url]http://www.mchawking.com/index.html[/url]

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Renamed.
I got Hawaiian Punch coming out my nose. U bastard. Funny cheit. Sucka!
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#46]
I needed a little comic relief.  Thanks Renamed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Although I have always liked Alice In Chains, I have no sympathy for someone who kills himself taking narcotics.

The song Rooster is the patron song for all belt fed machine gunners. [50] [heavy]

"Walking tall machinegun man, they spit on me and my homeland." Rooster by Alice In Chains

I like that remix version by MCHawkings starring Carl Sagan, Mars The God Of War. And who can forget the duet between Hawkings and Sagan Billions and Billions of Stardust Circle Your Anus.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm partial to the collaboration between MC Hawking and Spike Lee, "Don't A Menace In The Galaxy While Drinking Your Romulan Ale In The Dyson's Sphere".  Did anyone catch that movie?
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#49]
This sucks.  I really enjoyed their music.  

layne had an awesome voice and it complemented the music
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top