Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2010 7:08:18 AM EDT
American Restorations

Might be pretty good.

I like watching restorations and things involving craftsmanship.

Wonder how good the show will be?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:09:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
American Restorations

Might be pretty good.

Could be cool, if it is it will probably be immediately canceled.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Saw that.  Good ol Rick Dale.

Does some really good work, it'll be good for a season.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought this was going to be about Chumlee.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds good to me.  My favorite parts of Pawn Stars are seeing old firearms and guitars appraised and watching them pull in a car that needs work and seeing what Rick Dale comes up with.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got the DVR set.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There is a God and He is merciful.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

American Restorations

Might be pretty good.

Rick is an amazing restoration artist, I'm really looking forward to this show.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:34:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a God and He is merciful.

And Praise be to him for this

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I suggested this as a good spinoff when they first brought him on to Pawn Stars. Glad to see it happened ( I'm sure I had no influence on this)

Could be good.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:35:43 AM EDT
[#10]
There is "auction Kings" that looks alot like pawn stars from the prevews.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:36:48 AM EDT
[#11]
"Let me call a guy I know"

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Givem a few episodes and they will start yelling about a deadline to finish a project......
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Lol, I had a feeling that that guy or the guy who restored the boat for them will get his own show

Both of those guys had good personalities for TV and did good work.

I'm not a huge fan of reality TV because it usually focuses on the BS drama of the people, but History Channel seems to do a pretty good job of just enough drama to make you interested in the characters combined w/ actual historical facts about items w/ Pawn Stars and Pickers
Speed
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:41:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

American Restorations

Might be pretty good.

Rick is an amazing restoration artist, I'm really looking forward to this show.

Now that I know about it, it sounds pretty cool!  He is definitely a great artist.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Givem a few episodes and they will start yelling about a deadline to finish a project......

I WANT MORE CHROME ON IT!
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm not a huge fan of reality TV because it usually focuses on the BS drama of the people, but History Channel seems to do a pretty good job of just enough drama to make you interested in the characters combined w/ actual historical facts about items w/ Pawn Stars and Pickers

I agree on this when referring to Pawn Stars and American Pickers, but those other History channel shows are starting to suck ass.

Shows I think are stupid:  Logging, swamp logging, Trucking, Ice trucking, extreme trucking, monster quest, and all that other, non-history-related BS

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Did anybody notice that the Coke machine the Pawn Star guys dropped off with Rick Dale and the one they got back were two different machines?  He's a fake!
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Watching a Guy restore an old Cusman trike scooter & a vintage Gasolene pump , no thanx been there done those ...
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Did anybody notice that the Coke machine the Pawn Star guys dropped off with Rick Dale and the one they got back were two different machines?  He's a fake!

Yeah. I could tell.

The one they gave him was old and rusty and nasty.

The one he gave back looked brand new.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I like restoriing stuff and that guy does some really awesome work. I'll watch it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

"My idear is to stick my size 12 boot up your #$@% !"
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#22]
If they want me to watch this show:
#1 Limit the drama.  I get drama at work –– I sure as hell don't need to watch it on T.V.
#2 Artificial deadlines are bullshit.  See Item #1
#3 Focus on the actual work.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Pawn shops dont buy cars and spend money for restoration

they arent a used car lot

that show is so phoney, who brings a car to a pawn shop? seems 90% of the stuff brought in is made up
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#24]
that dude chromes everything

but i like him :)
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If they want me to watch this show:

#1 Limit the drama.  I get drama at work –– I sure as hell don't need to watch it on T.V.

#2 Artificial deadlines are bullshit.  See Item #1

#3 Focus on the actual work.
Dear Sir,

Please find enclosed $0.87 for a one-year subscription to your fine newsletter.

Best regards,

DzlBenz

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#26]
i saw craftmanship and immediately thought this old house and the new yankee workshop

I miss watching those with my old man
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#27]
One thing that will either make it or break it for me is if they start that 'it's gotta be done by yesterday' deadline crap like in American Chopper.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

One thing that will either make it or break it for me is if they start that 'it's gotta be done by yesterday' deadline crap like in American Chopper.

When my clients come to me with impossible deadlines, I refer them to someone else.

I understand that in the TV world, they've got a production budget for, say, 13 episodes that need to be shot in about 4 weeks. The deadlines that get worked into the series are not always artificial, but the drama involved is almost always manufactured. It's very possible to fit 13 weeks' worth of content into a 4-week principal photography shooting schedule, if you've got enough pre-production time to get things going, and do a lot of B-roll and second-unit shooting up front. You can always do the time-shifting in the edit bay, and not make it look too hokey. Mythbusters does a very good job of handling this work, as does Dirty Jobs.

So, if I was the new producer of American Restorations, here's how I'd do it. Say that this week's episode is a jukebox. The thing comes in in about 75% condition, but needs some parts replaced, some parts fabricated, a good cleaning and some cosmetic paint work.

Pre-production week 1: B-roll of the jukebox arriving and initial inspection. One camera/sound guy and one PA to hold the hotbox.

Pre-production week 2: B-roll of guy ordering parts, cleaning, taking the thing apart. Same crew.

Pre-production week 3: B-roll of guy going to machine shop to get parts made. Second unit crew of camera and PA.

Pre-production week 4: Leave the fucking guy alone to get some goddamn work done.

Pre-production week 5: See above.

Pre-production week 6: B-roll of replacement parts arriving, picking up special fabrication parts. Second-unit crew.

Pre-production week 7: Phone conference with producer to evaluate progress.

Pre-production week 8: Have item completed, dry-fit and test run. Disassemble to fake putting it together during principal photography. Start whacking together the B-roll stuff into 5- to 8-second clips.

Pre-production week 9: Mobilize full production crew. End of pre-production.

Production week 1: Shoot exteriors, set up for head shots.

Production week 2: Shoot "fake" assembly. Shoot head shots, reaction shots, overheads. Line produce EVERYTHING!

Production week 3: Whack everything together.

Production week 4: Re-shoots, de-mobilize.

Note that for each week, you're doing the same activity for all 13 episodes. Lots of Teamster work during production weeks, as every project has to be moved in and out of the shop to give the illusion of only one project going on at a time. Lots of wardrobe changes, too, so that the hosts aren't wearing the same shirt every week. Long hours. This is where you need professional hard-ass TV people.

I could do it.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#30]
showtime bump
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

You obviously didn't pay attention to the show! He specifically said he added different features to the door.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Saw it last night.

Meh...

It would've been more interesting to see them taking things apart and clean/fix/restore them.  Except for the kid who got yelled at for sandblasting aluminum with sand and distorting a part (drama!) it's pretty much MAGIC PRESTO! here is your newly restored frige.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top