Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2002 8:16:10 AM EDT
I'm writing a letter to the editor of our local paper about how guns save lives, not take them, etc. There is a small chance that I could see it printed, but there is a chance. What I need from you is some ideas of things to write. I can't have every argument for us, because it should only be about 300 words. Thanks for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#1]
You might start with the idea that in a defensive shooting scenario, the goal isn't to kill the aggressor, it's to stop the threat.  I've been successful many times using this argument against the, "handguns only have one purpose: to kill." crowd.

I can also have my pistol ready for action to defend myself and my family a lot quicker than they can dial 911 on their cellphone.  And I don't have to wait 5 minutes or more for my pistol to arrive. (Not a slam at cops.  They can't be everywhere when needed, that's just a fact.)

When criminals know that their intended victim may be armed (because they live in a shall-issue state), they tend to shift their activities to crimes that require less "interpersonal" contact.  And just the possibility of an armed victim can cause this shift.  No shots need be fired.  Two lives are saved:  the intended victim, and the slimebag criminal.

That's just a couple of ideas.  I'm sure you'll get more.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#2]
On the NRA website I found a buttload of statistics about guns saving lives. I don't remember where it is on the website.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top