Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2002 9:33:58 PM EDT
Ok, I was at work today, when a customer that I have never seen before (we have LOTS of regulars) is lurking by the DVD's.  I go ask if there is anything I can to to help him, and he asks if we can get pre-owned VHS movies.

I politely told him that VHS movies were quickly being phased out for DVD's and that they were about the same price.  He then tells me that he will never own a DVD player because they can be made to send out ultrasound waves to disrupt brain synapses.  

Almost too stunned to say anything, I blurt out "that's impossible!".  I then go through about 10 minutes of LASER technology and explain to him that adding ultrasound to the light waves in the laser beam is not possible.  

I then start to play a little and tell him that is biggest danger is a wide burst of ultrasound waves in a public place.  His eyes widened, and he asked me how would he stop that from affecting him.  

I told him that using a white noise generator or a device to cancel out the ultrasound waves.  We talk for ten more minutes on where he can get the stuff to build a Walkman sized unit to wear all the time.  

The last thing I told him as he walked away is too NEVER buy this stuff with anything but cash, cause all the items are being tracked by various governmental agencies.  

His last words to me were "good thinking!".  He left, and it took me almost 20 minutes to regain enough composure to go back to work and tell all my co-workers what had happened.  I think we need to start stocking Tin Foil!
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#1]
The paragraph is dead.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Geeeez...some people. ...I lost all my synap along time ago...nothing to worry about. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]
That better?  Sorry for trying to use proper English.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#6]
And you laughed at this man? He tried to save your life! You deserve to be put in a smaller pod than the rest of us.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, that is alot better, and a great story also...funny as hell.  Did you suggest he buy tin foil??

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 Did you suggest he buy tin foil??

Sgtar15
View Quote

Actually, it was an integral part of the ultrasound canceler!
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 11:58:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I must complain about fillling people up with BS.

I work at the RatShack (hey, I am in school and do not want a real job) and because of people like you my co-workers and I have to either lie to people (and sell them some POS) to get them out of the store or explain to them that they are stupid.

You would be surprised how many stupid people come into the Shack wanting things that do not exist. And it is all because of people like you.

Bastard (just in fun)
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 12:10:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 1:19:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:50:38 AM EDT
[#12]
You should have told him about this site:

[url]http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hey BlackDog714, Is this the guy ?

[img]www.visi.com/~thebus/pics/tin-foil-man-body.jpg[/img]
View Quote

MMMMM, He was older than that, maybe it was this guys dad!  Its got to run in the family!
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, that is alot better, and a great story also...funny as hell.  Did you suggest he buy tin foil??

Sgtar15
View Quote

Your efforts to improve Blackdog's grammar might be better directed towards improving your spelling, sgtar.  Is spelling also dead?  Take it easy!
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Tell him something that will get him killed. No, I don't care how mean that is. Ya'know, something along the lines of...to save yourself from the gov't, you have to eat large quantities of arsenic (or something more believable). Then submit him for a Darwin Award.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Should have said,

[i]"All your base are belong to us"[/i] and [i]"Pac Chewie Ump"[/i]

... then walked away briskly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#17]
The white-noise generator is not stopping the ultrasound bursts from giving me crazy thoughts.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I then go through about 10 minutes of LASER technology and explain to him that adding ultrasound to the light waves in the laser beam is not possible.
View Quote

My company specializes in modulating 800MHz and 1900MHz radio signals on to 1310nm laser light.  The technology for this is actually rather simple.

I would think that you could modulate a laser with any source, including audible, sub-audible and ultra-audible sound frequencies.

That guy's still a nut.  [%|]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:45:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks like Dr Smith from the old Lost In Space reruns.

"Oh the pain Will Robinson.."
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:03:56 AM EDT
[#20]
One day Nanga Parbat will own my soul.  Of this I am certain.  One day Nanga Parbat will be that which destroys me.  Just not today.

I don't need a tin foil hat.  I have an ice axe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top