Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2002 2:31:48 PM EDT
I've got my tax return back and I'm having some evil thoughts. [;)]

I could spend around $1350 for a new "loaded" standard M1A - I've wanted one for awhile.  

However, I can't help but wonder what kind of AR15 (for service rifle comp) I could get for that same price, or less.  I've got an AR already - its my favorite but its just a plain AR15 I built from a J&T kit.  I'm aware of the CMP AR15 rifles, but the range here doesn't qualify for the program.  

A few places I've heard about are Accuracy Speaks, CLE, and Fulton Armory to name a few.  Apparently, they require the customer to send in his/her lower receiver and they build the rifle up from there.  There are also the manufacturers who sell complete rifles whole (Colt, DPMS, Bushmaster, etc.) which are possibilities too.

Anyone here into service rifles have any suggestions on which way to go?  Thanks...
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The AR is a wonderful service rifle. I used to use an M1A but converted to 'mouse gunning' a few years ago and have never looked back. I've been using a DCM AR from Bushmaster for two years now and it shoots real well out of the box. You will find that, with practice, you can actually outshoot your gun. It has since been modified.. Free floating handguards, Obermeyer hand made barrel, Compass Lake-Milazzo two stage trigger, 1/4 moa nat'l match sights. Now she's a tack driver. Go with a stock DCM from Bushy, Colt, Accuracy Speaks, or Fulton Armory and you'll be all set.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had uppers from Compass Lake (CLE), AccuracySpeaks, and White Oak Precison.  The best buy for the money is the one from White Oak.  Post a question over on the comp forum for "gasgunner" or look in the comp FAQ/Link section for his website.  Another option might be to ask the Moderator of the comp forum to build you one.  Mr. Tippie has quite a reputation in the world of highpower.

HTH.....SRM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top