Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2002 11:17:51 AM EDT
I was just reading that there will be a five planet line up on the western horizon starting this weekend, through the beginning of June. Supposedly, you will be able to see it with the naked eye. Exactly what can you expect to see with the naked eye? How about with binoculars or (gun content) a spotting scope?
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#1]
The planets will line up in a straight line.

Best night was the 17th, they all line up with the moon.

You aren't necessarily going to see anything special with a scope, except a bigger bright spot in the sky.  All of the planets are visible with the unaided eye.

Later in May, three of the planets will form a triangle.

the_reject
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Later in May, three of the planets will form a triangle.

the_reject
View Quote

How'd he know that? [:\]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#3]
the_reject is correct !!

leave the scopes, bi-nox & other optical devices in the house, looking west about a 1/2 hr. after sunset, arnd April 30 you will see a cluster of Saturn, Mars, Venus & Mercury one star will be in the cluster & it is Aldebaran, Jupiter will be above & slightly left of the cluster.....

for the next several nights, one can still see Venus, Mars, Saturn & Jupiter & Moon in alignment, altho Moon will be further away every night........

for those who enjoy a night out, maybe stargazing, look for satelites & "flares", i live in S. Arizona & i spend most of my tyme out doors.., when outside at night i am armed to the teeth wyth info from this place: http://www.heavens-above.com/  , just type in your coordinates & you will get updated info on all passing satelites, "flares" (they are exciting to watch !!) & almost any space activity at that moment or for a 7 day prediction.......

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top