Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2002 5:06:18 PM EDT
I have never bought a gun at a show and was wondering how you do the transfer if you are at the show? and do you pay the owner of the gun and then just hope he gives you the gun in 10 days?
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Pay six bucks admission fee, wander around, find a gun that tickles your fancy, negotiate a price, ignore all bullshit stories, fork over the money, fill out "da yello form thingie", show your driver's license, have the dealer call the CBI on his cellphone, wait til you're cleared, get the gun, walk away.

PS: Avoid the strange fellers in the shiny shoes that want to buy your newly purchased guns and offer more than you have paid for.

PPS: If you're having a bad feeling about a possible deal, walk away, but don't make a fuss.

Edited to add: Your mileage may vary of course, above description is for the state of Colorado. Be aware of local law that might prohibit weapons in your city that are otherwise perfectly legal in your state.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Kar, I think it's safe to say (with his reference to getting the gun "in 10 days") that our friend here is unfortunate enough to be a California resident.

Greg, I believe a gun show transaction in the golden state is treated like any other transaction--i.e. the transfer has to go through a licensed dealer, and the hwole DROS thing applies.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am [:(]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
WOW you guys can go into a store and actually walk out with a gun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Good grief!  It sounds like a communist country!  Papers, please.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Viva the Republic!
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#7]
i've bought 2 in the last month, out of state mind you..and both were just like getting one from a store.  look at gun, sign paper, pass nics, pay the guy and leave with gun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#8]
will there be FFL's working at the show or is it your problem too find one? thats pretty lame that there is BATF agents trying to get you too buy illegal guns, but thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i've bought 2 in the last month, out of state mind you..and both were just like getting one from a store.  look at gun, sign paper, pass nics, pay the guy and leave with gun.
View Quote

Handguns or long guns?  Non-residents are not supposed to be able to purchase handguns.  You've got to be in your own state of residence to do that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I just want to buy a longgun a sks rifle.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#11]
longguns.  in total i have bought 3 firearms at gunshows.  an ak, an AR lower, and a yugo m48. all out of state.  a friend was going to get a handgun for me and then transfer it later but his nics check was delayed.  fu_in nics pisses me off.  i've never been delayed though.  so far this year i'm at almost 3 new guns, the 3d is on it's way still.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just want to buy a longgun a sks rifle.
View Quote

There is usually a FFL at the Gun Shows where the NICS is then done.  You then wait your 10 days and either pick up your rifles at the NICS dealer or the dealer that sold it to you.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
thats pretty lame that there is BATF agents trying to get you too buy illegal guns, but thanks for the heads up.
View Quote

Not only that. As I wrote..

[i]PS: Avoid the strange fellers in the shiny shoes that want to buy your newly purchased guns and offer more than you have paid for.
[/i]

That's another common sting. You buy a gun for $400, some guy walks up on you in the aisles and ooohs and aaahs all over it and offers you 700.....you accept the offer, get the money from him, hand him the gun...and whooops, you made a profit by buying and selling a gun, you are suddenly dealing in guns without having a license...follow me, Comrade Citizen.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 3:33:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Some private party sales are legal in California.  C&R rifles and shotguns that are over fifty years old can be sold without going through a dealer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Let's assume for simplicity you decide to buy a firearm (any type) from a dealer at a gun show in Californistan.  I have done so several times.  It's no big deal.

The seller will take your money, give you a receipt, and walk you and the rifle over to another dealer who lives in your area.  The second dealer will act as a transfer agent.  He or she will have you fill out the 4473, and answer the Big 4 Questions, then initiate the DoJ background check by phone.  He or she will charge you a fee for the service.  Raes II in El Cajon charges $12 I believe.

After the 10 days is up, you can go to the transfer agent's facility and pick up the firearm.

Buying from a private party would be slightly more complicated, but essentially a dealer will act as an agent for the seller, and collect a fee for the service.  From your perspective you are always buying from a dealer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#18]
WHOAAAaaaaaaa.........!!! help me here !!!!!

are you Commiefornianz saying there is no gun sales or deals between private citizens ?????????

soooooooo !! in other words from what i have read here, my son who lives in San Diego, who is expecting to "inherit" my gun collection wyth several AR15s........., can NOT have them ???????

how cud you people allow this to happen ?? can you elect a new Gov. who will recind those idiotic laws ?????

Link Posted: 4/20/2002 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Troy, how do you manage to not go insane over there?!?
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Depending on where you are and local laws things can vary quite a bit.  Where it's legal, there are such things as "private collectors" who sell their guns.  These guys are not licensed dealers and can legally sell to anyone (of age) without any paperwork.  Some of them will ask to see your drivers license to see that you are of age and to document who they sold to in case the gun turns up at a crime scene a few hours later.

Licensed delaers at the shows vary quite a bit.  Some will do the background check, etc with no money down.  Some require a $10 deposit, some half down, some paid in full, before they will even allow you to fill out the paperwork and do the check.  It's really just their way of making sure you are serious about the sale and not just wasting their time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I can get a handgun same day, in NY even
go to the store pay the money get a receipt, drive to the county court house, get the gun's serial number added to my license, go back to gun store.
the only 'waiting period' is how long it takes to drive to the court house

of course if the governments (local state and fed) of this country would follow the Constitution we could walk in and walk out, no paperwork at all

Quoted:
WOW you guys can go into a store and actually walk out with a gun.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#23]
SKS in CA, the liberals are looking for you.

[peep]
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#24]
1911greg,

The show promoters know which exhibitors at the show can do the DROS. Make a deal for the gun and the exhibitor will take you and the gun over to meet with the guy who can do the DROS. The DROS guy will charge the DROS fee and a handling fee for keeping the gun for the manditory 10 days. When the 10 days are up, go to the DROS guy's place of bussiness and pick up your gun.

There were several SKSs at the Glendale CA show when I left a few minutes ago.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#25]
WOW  you guys only pay 6 bucks!! The last show here was 10 and claudes show is now 11.  thats on top of 3 for parking.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That's another common sting. You buy a gun for $400, some guy walks up on you in the aisles and ooohs and aaahs all over it and offers you 700.....you accept the offer, get the money from him, hand him the gun...and whooops, you made a profit by buying and selling a gun, you are suddenly dealing in guns without having a license...follow me, Comrade Citizen.
View Quote

Perfectly legal.  Theres no law against making a profit in a private sale.  If however you then go buy another gun and do the same thing you might run into problems as you are now acting as a dealer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top