Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2002 3:21:45 PM EDT
Hi, I am picking colleges right now and the 3 front runners are Kettering University/GMI, The University of Washington (seattle) and Cornell. (assuming I don't get and accademy nomination) I was wondering what the laws are in those states. Specificly:

A.) Is it legal to own and AR-15 and other 'black' rifles

B.) Are full-autos leagle

C.) Is there anythting else weird or unfortunate about the gun laws in thses states.

Also if there is anyone that has went to or is going to one of those schools I would love to hear your opinion.

Thanx in advance

[Editted for errors]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
black rifles legal? Hell yes!! just check out my safe

Class 3/full auto. No way.Ore/Idaho Ok

Shall issue carry permit state.

No weird law except no concealed carry in bars and schools and a few other restricted places.

UW is a great school.Class of 88.

Good luck
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
NY,,,  

black rifles ..................OK, BUT the aw ban has been made perminant.

full auto ..............not only no but hell no...

ccw ................. IF YOU ARE GOOD AT THE SUCK UP ROUTINE (OR KNOW SOMEBODY) ONLY>>>
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Cornell is in Cortland county and there is ccw there I think.  If you look over at Glocktalk.com there is a guy there called Ithaca_deerslayer (Ithaca basically = Cornell) who knows about the ccw laws in that county.  I think he has one (a ccw) I'll go poke around over there.

Anyway Cornell is a very prestigous ivy league school.  Their engineering and medical schools are among the best in the nation.  They are very selective and also vey expensive unless you go to the ag school.

Most of NYS isn't that bad and Ithaca is far away enough from NYC to be OK.  One warning though, because of a few colleges in a small region, the Ithaca area is a haven for liberal hippy types.

Edit:  Here try this to get you started, you can search by his user ID and find all kinds of stuff about NTS laws.  [url]glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=f96a9b855930587e7c2b42991aa80553&threadid=69165[/url]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hi, I am picking colleges right now and the 2 front runners are Kettering University/GMI, The University of Washington (seattle) and Cornell.
View Quote

Unfortunately, UW requires you to be able to count to three (3 = 2+1), so it is probably out of the question. [:D]

So far, the only laws I have run into in WA are:
1) no full auto.
2) suppressors are legal to own but not to fire through.
3) handguns purchased from a dealer get reported to the State Police
4) you have to get a card to CCW "legally"

I'm not sure about DDs, AOWs, or other Class III stuff.  Generally speaking, it is the gun-friendliest state I have lived in.

UW itself is in a reasonably decent part of town -- unlike most colleges.  You can't carry on campus due to the administration's anti-gun policies (not a matter of state law, but of university policy), but the area isn't particularly dangerous.

New York has statewide hangun registration and licensing.  Just to get a pistol permit (to OWN one, not to carry!) will take six months.  Someone posted today that he has been waiting for two months just to get a new pistol added to his existing permit.  CCW is at the discretion of local law enforcement (I think county sherrif, not sure), so it would depend on where you live (and probably also on how much you donate to his "campaign fund").  You may or may not have to worry about "assault weapon" laws;  I don't know what their rules say.

No idea about Michigan.  Flint was an economically-depressed cesspool last I heard -- go watch that Michael Moore "documentary" titled "Roger and Me".  It's near Detroit, which is also pretty bad.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out nraila.org,click on the research tab.They have gun laws for every state,a lot of info in there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#6]
No idea about Michigan. Flint was an economically-depressed cesspool last I heard -- go watch that Michael Moore "documentary" titled "Roger and Me". It's near Detroit, which is also pretty bad.
View Quote

I'm about 3.5 miles north of Detroit city limits. Nice neighborhood, high property values. But there are parts of Detroit you don't want to be at any time of day. Flint can be as bad as the worst parts of Detroit.

Why did Armed_Scientist ask about Michigan? Didn't see any major MI colleges listed.

As for gun laws: shall-issue concealed carry (very recent) and all handguns must be registered. No Class 3, but no specific bans on semi-auto (black) rifles.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No idea about Michigan. Flint was an economically-depressed cesspool last I heard -- go watch that Michael Moore "documentary" titled "Roger and Me". It's near Detroit, which is also pretty bad.
View Quote

I'm about 3.5 miles north of Detroit city limits. Nice neighborhood, high property values. But there are parts of Detroit you don't want to be at any time of day. Flint can be as bad as the worst parts of Detroit.

Why did Armed_Scientist ask about Michigan? Didn't see any major MI colleges listed.

As for gun laws: shall-issue concealed carry (very recent) and all handguns must be registered. No Class 3, but no specific bans on semi-auto (black) rifles.
View Quote

Yes you can have a Calss 3 in MI.  Maybe not Wayne county.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Michigan

All semi-autos and high caps are legal.  DNR ranges are single load only, so you have to join a club to enjoy a semi.

C&R machineguns and SBRs are allowed if you have a C&R FFL.

Shall issue CCW law as of July 1st 2001.  Depending on where you live it can take anywhere from 2 to 8 months for the permit to get processed.

All pistols must be registed within 30 days of moving to the state.  Any new pistols would require a permit to purchase and then must be registered.  A permit to purchase will exmpt you from a NICS check.

A CCW permits count as a permit to purchase; however, it does not exempt you from a NICs check.  Figure the logic out in that.

We just got another law passed that made it legal to transport a pistol without a CCW permit.  Before that law if you had an SUV you needed to CCW permit, which you couldn't get because the law hadn't been changed, to transport a pistol.  This is due to the law stating it must be transported in a trunk.

Michigan has gun shows constantly all over the state.  They also have a very active competative shooting environment.

Stay away from Detroit and Flint if possible.  Michigan is a beautiful state outside of these areas.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#10]
From what you guys are saying about Flint, I think that's one I'll turn down. That's too bad because Kettering is suppose to be a very prestigus( hey I'm a science geek, I'm not supposed to be able to spell) engineering college. I'm going to vist there before I decided but I don't want to livc in a bad part of town (poor people are dangerous [:D])

Right now Cornell is on the top of the list of schools that I've gotten into, but I havn't been there yet so I'm waiting to make up my mind.

U of W has an excelent reputation for areospace engineering, but alas it's a state school, so I have to take that into consideration. On the plus side it's in Seattle very close to alot of the employers that I would likley be working with after graduation. (Pratt and Whitney, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, etc etc...)
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Expanding on what the other Michiganders have posted.

In MI and firearm with an OAL of under 30 is a "handgun" and subject to the same licensing and registration provisions.

Michigan is a very long gun friendly state. But their Handgun laws are pretty oppressive.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
UW itself is in a reasonably decent part of town -- unlike most colleges.  You can't carry on campus due to the administration's anti-gun policies (not a matter of state law, but of university policy), but the area isn't particularly dangerous.
View Quote

Carry on UW property is a most definite no-no, and the vindictive liberals that run it WILL prosecute you to the fullest extent they are allowed.  They were not even allowing off-duty Seattle police to carry on their property for a time, even though officers are required by law to do so.  (I'm not sure if this is still the case, but was a problem until very recently.)

I disagree somewhat about the neighborhood.  Inside the university proper and during the day is usually just fine.  The U District, however, is not a place to walk around at night by yourself.  There is a significant problem with street youth, EXTREMELY aggressive panhandlers, drug dealers, etc.  Many of the businesses in the area are dying off because customers simply refuse to put up with it anymore, and the SPD could hardly pour more resources into the area than they already have.  It may not be especially bad compared to other college towns, but it is certainly not a nice part of town.

It was my time spent in the University District that finally motivated me to get my CPL, FWIW.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

The U District, however, is not a place to walk around at night by yourself.  There is a significant problem with street youth, EXTREMELY aggressive panhandlers, drug dealers, etc.  Many of the businesses in the area are dying off because customers simply refuse to put up with it anymore, and the SPD could hardly pour more resources into the area than they already have.  It may not be especially bad compared to other college towns, but it is certainly not a nice part of town.
View Quote

I guess it's relative.  The universities I went to in the Boston area were in areas that were much worse than the U District.  Same with others I saw when visiting old high-school friends.  Also, having a Glock in my pocket when I'm in the U District probably makes me feel safer. [:D]

I've spent a fair bit of time in the U District (a friend used to manage an apartment complex there), though, and I never saw any more problems than in downtown, Admiral, Fremont, or Wallingford.  Almost got mugged by Pike Place once, and that's supposed to be the "safe tourist haven".  Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Expanding on what the other Michiganders have posted.

Michigan is a very long gun friendly state.
View Quote

As well they should be considering Michigan is the only state whose state flag has a rifle in it (being carried by a pioneer).

[url]http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/flags/mi_flag.htm [/url]

I like the part of the write up that says: '..the man's friendly greeting from the peninsula..'.  Kind of flies in the face of the popular myth that anybody who owns a gun is a pissed off lunatic.

As far as CCW, I hear Ingham County is the WORST as far as processing time (due to the fact that the County Prosecutor is a big ANTI-CCW advocate) and Macomb County is the best.

More info about Michigan gun laws can be found here. [url]http://www.mcrgo.org/[/url]

Just my .02 worth
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

New York has statewide hangun registration and licensing.  Just to get a pistol permit (to OWN one, not to carry!) will take six months.  Someone posted today that he has been waiting for two months just to get a new pistol added to his existing permit.  CCW is at the discretion of local law enforcement (I think county sherrif, not sure), so it would depend on where you live (and probably also on how much you donate to his "campaign fund").  You may or may not have to worry about "assault weapon" laws;  I don't know what their rules say.

View Quote

No offense but any mention of NYS handgun laws should include a disclaimer because they vary so widely.  This above info is not 100% correct.  For example my permit is through Oswego county.  It took me 2.5 months to get and all they issue is carry concealed.  Further if I buy a gun I can get the purchase coupon and pick it up the same day (i may have to drive back and forth a bit).  Additionally there are often Oswego and Onondoga County clerks at local gunshows so that you can buy a pistol and walk out with it.  Oswego is one of the more gun friendly counties but there are others.  I do believe that Cortland county isn't too bad either.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Something else to consider, is where do you plan on living?  On campus, off campus?  

Unless you plan on getting an off campus place if you're at Cornell (I'd doubt it), then you are unlikely to get anything!  Being under 21, you also will not be permitted to get a pistol, unless you live with someone (who owns the place) that will allow you to keep a pistol in the house/apartment.  

Shop for your school based on the school.  You'll probably not stick around the Cornell area anyway, there's nothing there after you graduate!

As far as the nomination goes, what academy are you applying to?  If West Point is it and you don't get the nomination, you can always go to MAPS if your grades are high enough. MAPS is the place for prior service soldiers and civilians with no nomination or athletes who need grade boosting.

GOOD LUCK!
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Isn't the U district where recently a guy was shot to death in his car and another died after being hit in the back of the head with a skateboard? Sounds friendly to me. There seems to be a lot ot fruits and freaks in the area, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Something else to consider, is where do you plan on living?  On campus, off campus?  

Unless you plan on getting an off campus place if you're at Cornell (I'd doubt it), then you are unlikely to get anything!  Being under 21, you also will not be permitted to get a pistol, unless you live with someone (who owns the place) that will allow you to keep a pistol in the house/apartment.  

Shop for your school based on the school.  You'll probably not stick around the Cornell area anyway, there's nothing there after you graduate!

As far as the nomination goes, what academy are you applying to?  If West Point is it and you don't get the nomination, you can always go to MAPS if your grades are high enough. MAPS is the place for prior service soldiers and civilians with no nomination or athletes who need grade boosting.

GOOD LUCK!
View Quote

What's MAPS?

I've applied to the USAFA and Annapolis. My congressmen and senators don't start doing interveiws for a while so I really don't know either way on that.

My situation is weird because I'm graduating early and have basicly a year to myself, so I have wayyyy too much time to mull all of this over....making desicions that affect your life suks!
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Michigan allows machineguns, short barreled rifles and silencers if the are Curio & Relics and you are a C&R licensee.  Try finding an affordable SBR,SBS or Silencer.  Don’t forget that if your rifle measures under 30 inches when FOLDED, it is a pistol.  If it is under 26 inches FOLDED, then it is a short barreled rifle and is illegal unless it is a C&R.  This means that the Uzi carbine needs to have an 18 inch barrel instead of the common 16 inch barrel to be legal.  It is illegal to have guns with you in the car unless you are on your way to hunt with a valid license during season or you must be on your way to a club that you are a member of.  The gun laws suck and usually you won’t get any flak if you are a decent guy about having an empty gun in your truck.  This does mean that they can screw with you if they want to though.  Now that pistol permits are shall-issue, it is best to get one to make sure that you are legal.  It is surprising that a state which relies so much on tourist and the outdoors would let city people make such stupid laws.   I would not worry so much about Flint as it is not all bad, just most of it.  The good news is that you are halfway up north to the woods.  Oh and most gun shows in the Metro Detroit area suck bigtime.  The same dealers with the same stuff, no private sales at the shows.  I would rather be here than Califonia, New York City, or any of the states with Hi-Cap magazine bans.  Just my .02

Link Posted: 4/19/2002 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Isn't the U district where recently a guy was shot to death in his car and another died after being hit in the back of the head with a skateboard? Sounds friendly to me. There seems to be a lot ot fruits and freaks in the area, that's for sure.
View Quote

"recently" shot to death?  A friend of mine heard the shots and called 911, and that was at least three or four years ago, because it was BEFORE he graduated.  Skateboard thing, yeah -- too bad the deceased (did you notice how his family didn't mention his prior felony assault conviction to the media? the skateboarders' lawyer did) got out of his car and started assaulting the skateboarders, instead of backing up two feet and then driving around them (as I had to do just yesterday with some dumb bimbo who stopped in front of me and wouldn't budge).

Let's put it this way:  The U District isn't Flint, MI.  The U District isn't MLK/Rainier Avenue.  The U District isn't "White" Center.  The U District also isn't Mercer Island or Hunts Point, but neither are the rents.

So I guess it depends on what your definition of "isn't" is. [:p]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#21]
In Michigan:

A Yes
B No
C Yes, we still have our anti-black handgun 'safety inspection' law, which means you have to take each handgun, when you enter the state or buy, to the police for approval. They can't turn down blacks anymore for having cheap guns, but it is still a PITA.
Further, you can't CCW in the dorm or classroom.

Good stuff about Flint: lots of ranges within an hours drive. the Birch run shows are within 30  minutes.
The wilds and lots of great stuff are within one hour or less.

Bad stuff about Flint: It is one huge ghetto. all cops and firefighters are laid off or will be, crime is insane, the government and county courts are past regular corruption, the state is thinking of taking over the city even though the leaders are black (yes, it is that bad)
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey Armed Scientist, come to Cornell. I'm going to Cornell this september too, and so are a bunch of people from my school. What school did you get into? I'm going to Engineering for operations research major.

BTW, they arent' as anal about guns upstate than they are here in the city. NYS is largely conservative, it's just the city that's liberal. I've had friend's who shot class IIIs upstate.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"recently" shot to death?  A friend of mine heard the shots and called 911, and that was at least three or four years ago, because it was BEFORE he graduated.
View Quote

Hmmm.... Looks a little more recent than 3-4 years ago. It's just the police shooting armed and dangerous crazies, though.

[url=http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=shot07m0&date=20020107&query=U-district+shooting]Armed man fatally shot by officer in U District[/url]

[url=http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=shooting23m&date=20020223&query=U-district+shooting]Black groups call for federal probe into U District shooting [/url]

Yup, sounds like pretty darn friendly place to me.

Skateboard thing, yeah -- too bad the deceased (did you notice how his family didn't mention his prior felony assault conviction to the media? the skateboarders' lawyer did) got out of his car and started assaulting the skateboarders, instead of backing up two feet and then driving around them (as I had to do just yesterday with some dumb bimbo who stopped in front of me and wouldn't budge).
View Quote

Classic blame the victim ploy.

[url=http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=skateboard18m&date=20020418&query=U-district+murder]Man, 22, charged in U District slaying [/url]

Sounds like a couple of little neighborhood saints to me.

Let's put it this way:  The U District isn't Flint, MI.  The U District isn't MLK/Rainier Avenue.  The U District isn't "White" Center.  The U District also isn't Mercer Island or Hunts Point, but neither are the rents.
View Quote

It isn't among the safer neighborhoods in the region, either.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've had friend's who shot class IIIs upstate.
View Quote

shot class 3?  maby, they are around and i have seen them, but, it is a NYS law that c-3 are illegal except for military, police, and feds..

not saying it didn't happen, but just saying it aint legal. you may have a fed c-3 licence but in NYS you still cant use it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hey Armed Scientist, come to Cornell. I'm going to Cornell this september too, and so are a bunch of people from my school. What school did you get into? I'm going to Engineering for operations research major.

BTW, they arent' as anal about guns upstate than they are here in the city. NYS is largely conservative, it's just the city that's liberal. I've had friend's who shot class IIIs upstate.
View Quote

I got into the three I list along with a few others that I have decided against for one reason or another. The only wild card is the academy, still waiting to here from them.

I think Cornell is the front runner, but stil not sure, I'm touring there next month, my parents decided that I should see the differnet campuses before I decide.

I'm going to major (and eventually get a PhD) in physics or areonautical egnineering, not sure which yet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Carry on UW property is a most definite no-no, and the vindictive liberals that run it WILL prosecute you to the fullest extent they are allowed.  They were not even allowing off-duty Seattle police to carry on their property for a time, even though officers are required by law to do so.  (I'm not sure if this is still the case, but was a problem until very recently.)
View Quote

There is a Washington Administrative Code (WAC) against carrying on campus, which means you can get fined and asked to leave, but it's not a criminal offense.  As a side note I kept a handgun and rifle in my dorm, Hansee Hall, for a year and never had a problem.  Just don't advertise the fact that you have anything in your room.

You can join the Washington Arms Collecters for $25 a year and get into all their gunshows for free.  They have them about twice a month, and are pretty good.  There are also two indoor ranges/gunstores in Bellevue which you can ride the bus to from campus.

Vulch - UW Class of 2000
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"recently" shot to death?  A friend of mine heard the shots and called 911, and that was at least three or four years ago, because it was BEFORE he graduated.
View Quote

Hmmm.... Looks a little more recent than 3-4 years ago. It's just the police shooting armed and dangerous crazies, though.

[url=http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=shot07m0&date=20020107&query=U-district+shooting]Armed man fatally shot by officer in U District[/url]

[url=http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=shooting23m&date=20020223&query=U-district+shooting]Black groups call for federal probe into U District shooting [/url]
View Quote

Oh, *THAT* one.  Big deal.  Good riddance.  Don't get high and point a BB pistol at the cops.  'Nuff said.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top