Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2002 3:07:33 PM EDT
going to san diego soon with the family.whats there to do besides sea world and lego land??

Btw this is our second planned trip to san Diego.Our first trip was planned to planned to leave on 9/11/01. We all know whta happened that day.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.cpp.usmc.mil/cpao/comrel/[/url]

[8D]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Zoo.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife and a went to CA a couple of years ago.  The San Diego Zoo is excellent, and definitely worth the time.  However, it does requires an entire day to do it justice.  Check the website for advance purchase of tickets.

If you get up to Laguna Beach, Las Brisas is a nice place to have lunch.  The view can't be beat. The foods good too!  
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Go down to the beaches at Coronado and watch the BUD/S candidates try not to die while expanding their horizons.

HooooYAH!
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#5]
May I suggest go to see the museums around downtown San Diego. They a baseball(I didn't go there) if you like sports, there is also a science,& flight museum

Also take in the S.D. Wild Animal Park(min. one day) and lots of walking. The S.D. Zoo and Wild Animal Park belong to the same private non-profit organization. It is like hiking in a wilderness area and seeing animals in its natural seting, without all of the inconviences of actually being in the wilderness. If you like hiking you will thoughly enjoy this. If you have a young family, i.e. baby stroller-types, remember to bring your stroller. There are many drinking fountains on the paths, but you may want to bring your own water.

HAVE FUN!
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Take a tour of MCRD.
Enjoy the weather.
Have some good chow.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I forget the name of the big park in SD, but there is an aeronautical museum, a natural history museum, and a number of others.  All a very good.  Excellent zoo-- check out the venemous snakes. [shock]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#8]
TJ...! [):)]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#9]
go visit 32nd Street !!  Naval Base San Diego.
might get a tour of some of the warships!
now that, is a TOUR !!
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Coronado. Have lunch at the Coronado Hotel, you will not regret it. the view and the food is awesome.  

La Jolla. Check out the cliffs during sunset. This might be good for a quality time with the wife.

Race track.

Take the trolley downtown.

Mission Beach is awesome. Rent some jet skis and cruise around the bay.

Go dow to Tijuana, Mexico for some shopping.

Avoid southern San Diego.

If you have time, take the Amtrak to San Clemente and check out the mission

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Avoid southern San Diego.
View Quote

Funny/Scarry thing happened there. Took the GF to Diego for the day. Had a great time. We walked, shopped, had lunch off the port, and saw a topless hottie pass by on a private boat. The incident occurred while leaving. While trying to find the freeway on ramp to leave, we passed a park with a big event going on. It was early evening, so I asked her if she wanted to stop for a while. She said no. Thank god. As we proceeded to drive past, she noticed there were very few womenz present. It soon became obvious that it was a gay event. I proceeded to drive faster. I found the on ramp but got caught at a stop light. After a great day with the GF the last things I saw before heading home were countless gay guys (no lesbians), a transvestite/sexual, and GayMart. On green, I shot out of there like a bat out of h#!! and didn't let off the gas until we were 5-10 miles down the freeway. GF thought it was funny as heck. I was not amused. Later I told my womenz friend in Diego (who I couldn't visit that trip for obvious reasons)what happened. Once she stopped laughing, she told me that we had passed through a known gay community. They need to post signs for tourists. You don't want to accidentally take 3-4 generations of family through there on accident.    
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 3:02:19 AM EDT
[#12]
American Shooting Center.

South Bay Rod and Gun Club.

Forest Service Land in Ramona and Palomar.

Miguels Cantana in Coronado is 1,000 times better than the Hotel Del.

Link Posted: 4/19/2002 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#13]
AZ gunner sounds like he made a wrong turn into HILCREST!!!!!! ahhhhhh !! but really nothing is going too happen too you their just a bunch of queers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Bwaaaaaa-hahaha!

az-gunner must have stumbled into town on the day of the annual Gay Pride Parade.

Wash-Ar15 - Drop me an email if you'd like to meet for a drink or something.  I live in San Diego.

BTW I have some discount coupons and two FREE PASSES that are good for the Zoo or the fabulous Wild Animal Park which is about 45 minutes out of town.  Either one is worth the time if you like critters.  I've been an annual member for about 20 years.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#15]
California...if he don't want them I do...I will be arriving on sat 27...with my girlfriend...our plans---Scripps Aquarium-sat-goth club sat night-Zoo Sunday---work monday morning---Bear creek mountain--monday evening---tuesday work and fly back---
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Cool, hound.  I'll wait to hear from Wash-Ar15 first.

I'd be glad to meet you for a cold one either way.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Wash-Ar15,

I sent an email to the address in your profile.  Please reply by Wednesday at noon, or hound gets the Zoo passes.

CA Kid

btt
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't go to TJ with the family, only by yourself or with a couple of buddies.  I always take the trolley down to the border and walk across, don't even think about driving.

Gaslight District.  Several good brewpubs, mostly nighttime stuff but some family-type restaurants and so forth too.

Mission Beach, there is a great pizza place near the roller coaster that sells primo giant slices.  Also lots of scenery around that area.

Balboa Park, all the museums and whatnot the other guy mentioned.

Anthony's Fish Grotto on the waterfront is great if you are a seafood fan.  The ships down there, "Berkeley" and "Star of India," are worth a look.

S.D. is a great place, it's like all the good stuff in L.A. without all the accompanying B.S.  If it wasn't in Kalifornia it would be even better.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Why is there 100 folks telling you to tour MCRD?
101 now...

Also, no TJ with the kids.

The beaches are nice but not wonderful.

A drive would be instructive for the kids. Start in downtown, drive over the hills, past the smog line, over the top, and down to the desert. Just don't do it at rush hour.

Get a triple a book, too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for all the great suggestions.Thanks for the gracious offer of tickets California kid.I bought a package for the family.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the military bases!!!

BTW who know these best place to get sushi down there

AR15.COM PEOPLE ARE THE BEST!!!

Thanks

Keith

I hope my plans are'nt interuppted this time (Sigh)
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#21]
If you haven't already been to Sea World, I recommend it. Shamu the whale is the best.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Try dimsum. Emerald's restaurant at the corner of Convoy and Aero Drive in Kearny Mesa is the closest to being back in Kowloon. Dimsum is only served during the lunch hour. The north /south strip of Convoy is full of Asian style restaurants. Italian, Lorna's at the corner of Governor Dr. and Genesee Ave.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top