Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2002 3:04:03 PM EDT
I presently have a home up for rent.on one or the applications submitted the credit check returned the number as issued in another name.
the person is employed.

from what I can conclude this person is a possible illegal alien using someones number.

would it be legal to rent to this person???
would you?

I have rented to people of this etnicity before and have found they to be good risk and pay rent on time.

Opinions please
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Legal...probably not.

Would I...depends.

The main problem is that by renting to an unregistered immigrant you are running a risk. If the fuck up the place, fail to pay rent, etc...there isn't much you can do. If they do alot of damage, you will not get one red cent since they will simply be deported.

If you are willing to risk it...I would say go ahead.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I've rented to illegal mexicans before. They always paid on time and in cash. They take good care of your place and pay ontime because they know you can turn them in at anytime. They're worth the risk in my opinion.
CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, if this person wants to gain some advantage by defrauding or otherwise abusing you, how much would they have to lose if they are not legal to begin with? Less than the next (legal) guy. Having lived with this ethnicity as well, I can tell you that the ethnicity is not the issue, and  you have already discovered that this person is willing to commit fraud.  And since the INS is stepping up enforcement efforts, and you can already be held to a standard of " would a reasonable person know" (you obviously do) you may have more at stake than you are considering.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I've worked as a property manager in the past, and I still help a couple of friends with their rental properties.  I agree with what CAPITALIST wrote.  All of the illegals I've dealt with understood the value of a dollar, appreciated what they were renting, and paid their rent on time and in cash.  From what I've seen, I'd much rather rent to a Mexican of dubious citizenship than a white person.  I don't mean that as a racist statement, but that has simply been my experience.z
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a security deposit, and first and last month's rent, in CASH. Then, call the INS.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a security deposit, and first and last month's rent, in CASH. Then, call the INS.
View Quote

LMAO!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Pros: Pay rent on time, too frightened to complain about stuff to you or housing agencies, too unsophisticated to milk the system like professional bad tenants of other ethnicities.

Cons: Tend to have extended families that will stay for extended periods of time, problems with teenage children -- male or female (gangs, drug dealing), not as concerned about keeping the apartment sanitary.

The biggest worry for me would be the presence of teenage children.  Also, I would sooner rent to an illegal alien who was up front about not having a SSN than one who gave me someone else's for the credit check.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 11:45:48 PM EDT
[#8]
www.americanpatrol.com/REFERENCE/AidAbetUnlawfulSec8USC1324.html
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 3:02:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Stokes your sig is acting up again!  Its up to you dude if the place is a no problem to rent then just do what you feel is right. I have to take care of rental property right across from the starky building right next to the owens field in norman,about 800 ft from where mossawie and his pod were living. This is Oklahoma home of engineering. These are kids that can go to school ,come home and play Jimie Hendrex or play stevie ray vaunge but can't light the pilot for the furnace.  So i just light that pilot and sing some sweet home alabamma!    No but you don't have to rent to anybody you have a bad feeling towards and sometimes the worst renters will turn out to be your best.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 5:19:08 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

My thoughts exactly  [}:D]
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 5:27:18 AM EDT
[#12]
dont know/no.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:04:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Illegal immigration is ONE of the factors in the destruction of our nation. I would NOT rent to them. Amazes me how many here would....
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Zoom and Capitalist hit the nail on the head.
GOOD LUCK
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:14:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Two words - SECURITY DEPOSIT.

I think if it were a family, you're running a lower risk, but it increases the risk that the whole village would end up in the house.  

I would rent to one, but only if he stipulated in the lease that only he would be living there. (Maybe creating a provision for a girlfriend or something.)  Get 3 months rent up front considering eviction procedings can take a while.  Other than that, what's the guy's demeanor, his cleanliness?  If he's a nice guy and he'll pay, then rent to him!

ETHICALLY, as a REAL US citizen is where I find a problem.  You're an enabler, but the argument can and would be made that if you didn't rent to him, someone else would.  Atleast you have some control over him though, maybe you could add in that he does all landscaping! [;)]
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#16]
hell no
tell them to come here legally
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I help my wife maintain her family's apartment complex of 13 units.  We rent to low-income people all of the time. Whether illegal or not. We don't do credit checks, but she does check to be sure that the prospective renter(s) qualify in terms of income, i.e with pay stubs and calling the employer to find out how long this person has been employed etc.

OT: Some friendly advice, another friend also has some apartments and once rented one of his units to some people on Section 8. Biggest mistake he ever made. Every one tiny problem because a federal offense. It took my friend 2 years to get rid of these people.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Most illegals here in Ok are involved in the drug trade at some level. Ok forfeiture laws also allow for the state to confiscate an owners property if he is renting a room/house to someone and the renter is arrested for a serious drug offense.

WA laws probably differ, but I wouldn't do it...
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#19]
A hospital can't ask imigration status.  I can't think of any law that would say you are responsible for your renters imigration status.  Plus what was stated before, you'll have a hell of a lot harder time getting rid of a pain in the ass legal resident as compared to an illegal one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#20]
no com prende'. Take the dinaro. Mucho deposito. Illegals are the only one who seem to find work with out a problemo.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd turn them in.

Link Posted: 4/20/2002 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Not that anything would happen were I to do so.

Link Posted: 4/20/2002 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Nothing pisses me off more than illegal aliens If this person has enough money to rent an apartment then he probably has enough money to come into this country legally! I dont get some of you guys Suddenly capitalism is the greatist thing and the only thing that matters is that your the one pocketing the cash??? A while back there was the big controversy with dell not selling a comp to the guy who was a gun dealer they then tryed makeing it right (IMO) but people bitched and complained because dell wouldnt take sides on the gun issue there fore this or that person said they wouldnt buy anything from this because they were an oportunist. To me this isnt any differnt the only thing differnt is who gets the cash fact is you may be doing something illegal. people bitch and complain about illegals comeing into this country but how can you blame them when the people here are willing to harbor them they wouldnt be here if they knew damn well that they were unwelcome and if it came up that such a person was found to be illegal would be turned in no questions asked. on top of that thgis guy already commited a crime by giving you someone elses SSN (maby mine who knows)???
and your still considering it? you are an oppotunist and apparently money comes before morals in your book
Flame away
OregonShooter
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Well said OregonShooter.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Thank for the comments.They are appreiciated.
This is the a low down of the people that came to look at my home.

Quite a few section 8 people.usually a woman of a certain race with 3-6 children and a boyfreind that I know will be moving in also.
No thank you

Caucasion folks that are two types.
#1. Couple that walks in and walks out without asking questions. These are the people looking for mercedes at hyundai prices.
#2.Young adult that are roommating together/bad risk

Spanish speaking people legal/illegal don't know.Ask a lot of question and are ready to fill out apps and have money.

Who would you chose???

My home is in a blue collar neighborhood so the more affulent ones don't show up.

BTW I have decided against renting to the questionable applicant.

These are my personal experience's and in no way making blanket statement on any particular ethnicity.

I thank you again for your advice.

Link Posted: 4/21/2002 12:29:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nothing pisses me off more than illegal aliens If this person has enough money to rent an apartment then he probably has enough money to come into this country legally! OregonShooter
View Quote

Not true.  I have a fairly wealthy friend that is of Britsh citizenship living in Singapore.  He would love to come live here but is unable to.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 1:52:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing pisses me off more than illegal aliens If this person has enough money to rent an apartment then he probably has enough money to come into this country legally! OregonShooter
View Quote

Not true.  I have a fairly wealthy friend that is of Britsh citizenship living in Singapore.  He would love to come live here but is unable to.
View Quote

We, here in the U.S.A. are truly blessed.

The U.S. INS tries to be sure that all immigrants have the necessary financial means to live in the U.S., but in addition to money, there is also a quota. It used to be about 10 years, from the day you apply to the day you set foot in the U.S. to immigrate legally to the U.S.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quite a few section 8 people.usually a woman of a certain race with 3-6 children and a boyfreind that I know will be moving in also.
No thank you

#1. Couple that walks in and walks out without asking questions. These are the people looking for mercedes at hyundai prices.

Spanish speaking people legal/illegal don't know.Ask a lot of question and are ready to fill out apps and have money.

Who would you chose???
View Quote

If they're willing to rent, caucasian group number 1. seems to be the least risky. Can you get into legal trouble for renting to illegals?
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Unfortunately caucasion #1 is looking for a home that rents for 2 thousand for 1 thousand.

I would love to rent to them if they bothered to fill out the application.

Link Posted: 4/21/2002 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No thank you

Who would you chose???

My home is in a blue collar neighborhood so the more affulent ones don't show up.

BTW I have decided against renting to the questionable applicant.

These are my personal experience's and in no way making blanket statement on any particular ethnicity.

I thank you again for your advice.

View Quote

That was the exact same situation I had on the last house I tryed to rent. I went with the illegals. I had gotton a good refernce from thier previous landlord which I knew. Thats why I went with them.
CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I have not read any reply before responding to your question.

Verify or discount your suspicions.
If the renter is illegal? Deny him and inform him you will be calling the authorities.

If to your satisfaction, you feel confidant that he is legal, provided you exercised due diligence, take the money and enjoy a profit.

My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Illegal?..YOU are the problem!

All the rights American want to defend these illegals could care less. They get instant aid by making you feel you can gain with no pain (and they pay in CASH and are CLEAN) what a cop out.

Get a conscience and a country.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I dont think there is a quota anymore though I may be wrong

renting sucks you get people that tear crap up and wont move out. but i guess thats the game you gotta play untill you find a reliable renter. I once lived in a little rentle complex (really like a naborhood in the middle of the country) It was a nice place by the river we were told by the landlord that we were the only ones at the place who payed there rent! he said he felt to bad for them to kick them out unless they were tearing stuff up he said most payed occasionally. but it pays to be a good renter every complaint we had was promply delt with we also got newe carpet and numerous other upgrades without asking. All I have to say is if you can find someone who proves to be reliable and honest let them know you appreciate it by doing things to the place for them. that way you dont have to do this again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top