Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2002 7:56:26 AM EDT
My buddies and I got together for the finale of Combat Missions. Some of my buddies are admirers of Soviet weaponry.
Well, as some of you know, Byers IMO was robbed because of a malfunctioning AR. As this was happening, my AK buddy stated that this wouldn't have happened if he use a reliable AK. To make matters worse, after the mission, it seem the show backed tracked and made it look like Byers was at fault. Byers is a Navy SEAL for christ sakes. He's probably handled thousands of AR's.
The old arguments started to come out again. "Thank god this was a game or Byers would of been dead with a round in the chamber." Blah, blah, blah... There was a near riot in my living room. My girlfriend, all 107 lbs of her, had to get between a couple of my really big friends.
So, would Byers have won if he used an AK? Byers, was by far, the most physically fit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:02:36 AM EDT
[#1]
No way.  Not after the armorer gives him a bad mag, and bends the mag well on the AK.  It was rigged.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Only thing that would have help'd him would have been to have the snap to just dump the rounds in his pocket toss the crappy mag and single load for the rest of the stage. Believe he could have won w/ a single shot AR. [b]Reckon that would have been LEGAL to do[/b]?

Mike
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Same old BS.  If the AK had a bad mag, yes he would have lost.  Tell your AK buddies that if they prefer AKs and don't like ARs, that's fine, more for us.  When they are at 300m shooting at us and missing, we will be picking them off one by one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:03:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Byers would have won if he was using a USGI mag, IMO.  I believe the crappy plastic clear mags they were using caused the problems.  The line of bullshit the mustached "weapons expert" was spewing really pissed me off.  "He didn't seat the mag properly and then damaged the rifle beyond repair."  I wanna know at what point in the exercise Byers did anything to that M4 to damage it beyond repair.  I wouldn't have walked off the set quitely I know that much.  With 250,000 at stake I would have demanded to rerun the course with a good mag.  If I were the other two guys I would have wanted to rerun it too, I don't think I could win like that.  I know they were using simmunitions but the equipment should work properly.  I didn't see anything Byers did wrong that could have caused the rifle to malfunction like it did.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#5]
well, he didn't have a AK so i think a better question is how would this situation been truer to real life situations, since that seems to be your comparison.

first, he would have been using a functional rifle with real ammo and a tried and true USGI mag.

second, he would have had mutliple mags.  if the first didn't work, he'd go to the second.

third,  he wouldn't be playing for a quarter of a million dollars and wouldn't be so antsy and panicky over a failure to seat the mag properly and the resulting misfire.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My girlfriend, all 107 lbs of her, had to get between a couple of my really big friends.
View Quote

Fighting over a TV show?/ Yer friends were drunk agains, weren't they??

Or there's a worse possibility.....

Maybe they LIKED having your girlfrind in between them. I'd recommend you keep an eye on this situation.

[:D]

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My girlfriend, all 107 lbs of her, had to get between a couple of my really big friends.
View Quote

Fighting over a TV show?/ Yer friends were drunk agains, weren't they??

Or there's a worse possibility.....

Maybe they LIKED having your girlfrind in between them. I'd recommend you keep an eye on this situation.

[:D]

View Quote

LOL!! Actually, my buddies and I got together to watch the Lakers/Kings game. I have picture in picture on my big screen and we switched back and forth between the game and the show. And yes, when we get together, we usually consume large amounts of alcohol. [beer]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:55:38 AM EDT
[#8]
personally , i think the thing was rigged in the name of "cultural diversity" (hate that fucking word)
and what was with the effing crap mags?
i knew it was rigged when i saw that the rifles and the crap clear mags were color coded, that told me right off that the fix was in.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I have just one question. If I bang my AR on the ground like Byers did will my gun be damaged beyond repair. I personally don't think so. But I would like to know. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have just one question. If I bang my AR on the ground like Byers did will my gun be damaged beyond repair. I personally don't think so. But I would like to know. Thanks
View Quote

I bet there are a lot of servicemen who will attest that it doesn't.  I think the producers of the show got that old SWAT guy to make up some BS to cover their error.  Don't tell me Byers doesn't know how to handle a AR15/M16.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#11]
They were using Simunitions Uppers and ammo which apparently require the use of Simunitions clear plastic magazines to prevent the use of live ammunition in the weapon.  There wasn't anything wrong with the weapon when he test-fired it and he accepted the weapon.  Who knows what he did after leaving the test-fire line.  Any way you look at it, unless the weapon required the Simunitions mag to be inserted to fire, Byers could have popped a round out of the mag, single loaded it and fired single shot.

Too much pressure.  He fell back on immediate action drills which may not have been appropriate for those Simunitions conversion kits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top