Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2002 10:45:52 AM EDT
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1934000/1934286.stm

Does anyone else find it disturbing or do I need to take off my tin foil hat?  Does this mean that the 1878 law prohibiting american forces from domestic law emforcement is now voild?  
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Republican or Democrat; laws and constitutions don't mean shit to them. Why are we surprised? Remember Ruby Ridge and Waco?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Why would this violate the Posse Commitatus law?  They would be there to oppose foreign attackers, not aid in law enforcement.  I think we are far past the point of considering foreign terrorists to be a law enforcement problem.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The United States Defence Department is to create a new Northern Command aimed at defending America's home soil.
NorthCom will be responsible for the continental United States and Alaska, as well as Canada, Mexico and portions of the Caribbean, said General Richard Myers, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff.
View Quote

gee, i hope canada and mexico dont mind.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#6]
AS long as they act in the interest of defending against external threats, I am all for it.  In fact, I think that it ought to be the largest of the commands.  Screw all this other humanitarian crap that we commit the military to.  

I think you have a legitimate concern though.  Good intentions can often go awry.

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
NorthCom will be responsible for the continental United States and Alaska, as well as Canada, Mexico and portions of the Caribbean, said General Richard Myers, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff.
View Quote

gee, i hope canada and mexico dont mind.
View Quote

(said in my burliest "ugly American" voice)

I couldn't give a rat's hind quarters WHAT Canaduh and Mexicrap thinks. But if we're gonna be covering their rat's six, we &@*^ well better bill them for services rendered.

As was said, IF they stick to national defense and OUT of local law enforcment, I don't have a problem here.

What all our involvments in WW2, Viet Nam, Korea, Israel/Lebanon/Palestine, Grenada, Bosnia, Somalia, Nicaragua etc etc etc have caused us to forget is that FIRST AND FOREMOST the US military exists [b]PRIMARILY TO DEFEND THE USA.
[/b]

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Bill little ole us??

Not on your life...

Just remember where the missles will be crashing when you start knocking them out of the sky!!

Hmmmm better take another look at that roof of mine!
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#9]
well its probably nothing...i just get nervous when i think about the military being deployed internally for any reason.  it strikes me as a slippery slope sort of issue, and despite the good intentions i'm not crazy about the presidence this sets for the future.  it just seems like this is way to open-ended (not a well defined set of circumstances which would warrant this sort of action).  
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bill little ole us??

Not on your life...

Just remember where the missles will be crashing when you start knocking them out of the sky!!

Hmmmm better take another look at that roof of mine!
View Quote

Well, I prolly shouldn't tell you this, but....

DoD has me secretly working on modifying those remote cotrols for radio controlled cars, to get them to just steer the missiles to somewhere above North Dakota.

[}:D]

Cheaper than patriot missiles to knock 'em down. Consider it a freebie.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I suppose the whole idea behind an army [b]is[/b] to defend America. It would be no different than during the Rev. War when Washington led the Continental Army against the British.

It's been so long since we had an enemy force on our soil that I naturally am skeptical about this new direction. Especially with the new training the services have been engaging in (urban combat, "riot" control, etc.).

Edited because I am stupid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top