Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2002 8:53:39 AM EDT
It turns out that some oil companies import a lot of Middle Eastern oil & others do not import any. I thought it might be interesting for Americans to know which oil companies are the best to buy their gas from.

The top 5 companies importing Middle Eastern oil (for the period 9/1/00-8/31/01):  By the way, 86% of all Middle Eastern oil comes from Saudi Arabia & Iraq.

1- Shell 205,742,000 barrels of oil
2- Chevron/Texaco 144,332,000
3- Exxon/Mobil 130,082,000
4- Marathon 117,740,000
5- BP Amoco 62,231,000

(at $30/barrel, these imports amount to about $18 billion. That's a lot
of money.)

------------------------------------------
Here are some large companies that do not import much Middle Eastern oil:

1- Citgo = 0 barrels of oil
2- Sunoco = 0 barrels of oil
3- Conoco = 0 barrels of oil
4- Sinclair = 0 barrels of oil
5- Phillips = 0 barrels of oil

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy & can
be easily documented. Refineries located in the US are required to state
where they get their oil & how much they are importing. They report on a
monthly basis.

Keep this list in your car; share it with friends. Stop paying for
terrorism.

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It turns out that some oil companies import a lot of Middle Eastern oil & others do not import any. I thought it might be interesting for Americans to know which oil companies are the best to buy their gas from.

The top 5 companies importing Middle Eastern oil (for the period 9/1/00-8/31/01):  By the way, 86% of all Middle Eastern oil comes from Saudi Arabia & Iraq.
View Quote

I thought it was illegal for any American company to do business with Iraq?  Is this under oil for food?  Also, is BP Amoco considered an American company?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#2]
The refinery?  Yes.  That would explain why they are accountable.  I was surprised to see which companies were on the "evil" list.  It won't really be much of an inconvenience to buy my gas somewhere else.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Citgo has been one of my favorites anyway.  I don't know why, they just have.  Thanks for the info.

I'm still curious about the Iraq thing though.  Even if they don't sell the gas in the US, I thought they still couldn't buy Iraqi oil.  Anyone?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't matter where you buy your oil, petroleum can and is "laundered" on the wholesale market.  Unless there is no pipeline to and from a refinery, the feedstock and product are at the mercy of the terminal and pipeline operators.

Many large cities get their gasoline, diesel and jet fuel from ONE pipeline operator who is connected to only a few refineries.  You might be buying at a Chevron but are pumping gasoline from a BP refinery that was fed with Shell crude.

Best bet?  Just use less!  
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Citgo has been one of my favorites anyway.  I don't know why, they just have.  Thanks for the info.

I'm still curious about the Iraq thing though.  Even if they don't sell the gas in the US, I thought they still couldn't buy Iraqi oil.  Anyone?
View Quote

Alrighty then.  Who the F is Citgo?  Nothing more than the commercial branch of PDVSA, the STATE OWNED petroleum company of Venezuela.  A VOTING member of OPEC.  No wonder they don't import Arab oil but that just slightly better since they can cut production to bolster prices and maximuize profits.

Evil bastards.  Every single one of them.  WE (the ROW oil companies) explored, produced and set up refineries.  When all was going at a full head of steam, a military coup ran the foreign oil companies out and the state took over.  Of course that was almost 30 years ago so you young punks don't remember.  Yes, ALL of Latin American oil is state controlled.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like it's time for me to buy a donkey.  I hate cars anyway.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't remember any South-Americans flying two big ass planes into the WTC on Sept. 11th, do you?  
 And those other two planes- was Juan Valdez on either of those?  I don't think so.  If you must support any of these foreign oil-producing bastards, (which the majority of us MUST in order to drive a car) then DON'T support the greater of the two evils.  

Piss on Arab oil- and piss on those who buy anything from these unjustly enriched, towel-headed, America hating/killing cocksuckers.    
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#8]
SPAM
SPAM SPAM
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Boomholzer- You're one ignorant sombitch if you think this is spam- some people (like those of us who pay attention) take this stuff very seriously.  
Perhaps folks like you need another wake-up call...
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Good luck Dissapator,

Posted the same thing a week ago.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=108364[/url]

If you read the replies people here were downright hostile to the notion that they cross the street to buy gas from someone different, even if it means indirectly providing funds for state supported terrorism and continuing a unnecessary association with the Middle East as a oil supplier.

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#11]
To add more domestic fuel to the fire:

[url]http://www.snopes2.com/inboxer/outrage/nogas.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
To add more domestic fuel to the fire:

[url]http://www.snopes2.com/inboxer/outrage/nogas.htm[/url]
View Quote

Urban Legands is wrong on this one, if you couldn't track it why would the DOE construct this page?
[url]http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/data/summary.html[/url]. Or if you want to spend a lot of time with your calulator, there are the monthly import returns here [url]http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/cli.html[/url] Granted, there is laundering of smuggled Iraqi oil in excess of what is allowed in the oil for food deal, and we have had a terrible time figuring out how to stop it- but that is also a very small amount of oil, far more meaningful to the Iraqis than to us.

But also Urban Legends also indirectly supports the argument about boycotting US gasolene suppliers that get oil from the Middle East when they point out that the Middle East is one of the US's smallest oil suppliers. Its simple, if they were the biggest, we couldn't AFFORD to embargo them! Because they are amongst the smallest we can replace them without significant disjoining of our own economy.

The point is that most of the countries, including Saudi Arabia, would not be able to handle a short term decline in income as little as 5-10% a month. If you do that, they HAVE to stop sending money to terrorists, cause they need it at home, and then you send a message about who really has control of the market. They would be reluctant to cross us again.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good luck Dissapator,

Posted the same thing a week ago.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=108364[/url]

If you read the replies people here were downright hostile to the notion that they cross the street to buy gas from someone different, even if it means indirectly providing funds for state supported terrorism and continuing a unnecessary association with the Middle East as a oil supplier.

View Quote

Ain't that the truth, and most sheep would rather believe that it's the pot smokers paying the terrorist rather than just about everybody that buys gas.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Boomholzer- You're one ignorant sombitch if you think this is spam- some people (like those of us who pay attention) take this stuff very seriously.  
View Quote

COMPANY VOLUME
(THOUSANDS OF BARRELS)
MOTIVA ENTERPRISES LLC  201415  
VALERO MKTG & SUPPLY CO 146760
CHEVRON CORP  140463  
MARATHON ASHLAND PETRO LLC 109433
EXXON CO USA  103290  
AMOCO OIL CO  42401  
KOCH PETRO GROUP LP  28388  
MOBIL OIL CORP  25133  
TOSCOPETRO  21241  
ARCO PROD CO  18950  
[b]CITGO PETRO CORP  16593[/b]  
FINA OIL & CHEM CO  15034  
PREMCOR REFG GROUP INC THE  13768  
LION OIL CO  12291  
TPI PETRO INC  11103  
COASTAL CORP THE  9644  
[b]PHILLIPS PETRO CO  9549 [/b]
MURPHY OIL USA INC  6594  
PORT ARTHUR COKER CO  6321  
EQUIVA TRADG CO  5492  
HUNT CRUDE OIL SUPPLY CO  4883  
BAYOIL USA INC  3510  
ULTRAMAR INC  2741  
LYONDELL CITGO REFG LP  1919  
DIAMOND SHAMROCK REFG & MKTG  1828  
[b]CONOCO INC  1572[/b]  
ORION RFNG CORP  1404  
[b]PHILLIPS 66 CO  1078[/b]  
TESORO HAWAII CORP  619  
BP OIL SUPPLY CO  500  
TESORO PETRO CORP  299  
US OIL & REFG CO  99  
SHELL OIL CO  69  
VITOL S A INC 50  
Persian Gulf includes = Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and United Arab Emirates.  

[b]
[:O]Some of the good guys are in the bad list.

And when these patriotic companies that non-ignorant Americans are supposed to patronize see a sudden increase in gasoline demand they will compensate for the increased demand by importing more oil from???

From where ever they can get it, including from the "terrorists".[/b]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Now I stayed out of the mud on this one before,
But do you guys really believe that the money that you pay for a gallon of gas goes to terrorists? Is the scope of world politics that murky to you? How about 10 million dollars directly to Bin Laden and company, how about 134 million to the bin laden construction company for construction in Saudi Arabia, how about 30 million to the "rebels" in Afghanistan,10 million dollars to the Taliban? Can you really think that your measly 6 cents or so that actually gets back to Iraq is paying for terrorists.....red herring----just like the drug thing...propaganda and nothing but. It's called the War on terrorism and it is brought to you by your gov't---they are here to help....
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I do recall Mexico being the first to nationalize their oil. I forgot under whose administration this happened, but the president didn't provide any help to the American companies who were earlier encouraged to invest in Mexico. The problem is, we have to deal with the middle east, they're our safety valve. We're never going to be completely independent, we have to import oil. It's just a matter of from where. Note that Iran nationalized their oil in the 50s and Russia in the revolution, so Saudi Arabia and Kuwait have been our best friends in this respect for more than 50 years. We can buy our oil from elsewhere, but Saudi Arabia still has the cheapest cost structure, meaning they can sell their oil the cheapest and still turn a profit. So in a squeeze the world still have to turn to them.

Maybe we should just get used to the fact that once in a while we're gonna lose a few people to terrorists. But most of us are safe (they can only kill so many of us at a time), and they can't do anything about it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#17]
We're never going to be
completely independent, we have to import oil.
I guess none of you guys have worked or have families that worked in the industry....Let me take you on a trip to South Texas and show the rigs that ain't working because of "environmental concerns" and flat-out greed...
Texas could provide all its own oil...the rest of you might have to walk.....
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

COMPANY VOLUME
(THOUSANDS OF BARRELS)
MOTIVA ENTERPRISES LLC  201415  
VALERO MKTG & SUPPLY CO 146760
CHEVRON CORP  140463  
MARATHON ASHLAND PETRO LLC 109433
EXXON CO USA  103290  
AMOCO OIL CO  42401  
KOCH PETRO GROUP LP  28388  
MOBIL OIL CORP  25133  
TOSCOPETRO  21241  
ARCO PROD CO  18950  
[b]CITGO PETRO CORP  16593[/b]  
FINA OIL & CHEM CO  15034  
PREMCOR REFG GROUP INC THE  13768  
LION OIL CO  12291  
TPI PETRO INC  11103  
COASTAL CORP THE  9644  
[b]PHILLIPS PETRO CO  9549 [/b]
MURPHY OIL USA INC  6594  
PORT ARTHUR COKER CO  6321  
EQUIVA TRADG CO  5492  
HUNT CRUDE OIL SUPPLY CO  4883  
BAYOIL USA INC  3510  
ULTRAMAR INC  2741  
LYONDELL CITGO REFG LP  1919  
DIAMOND SHAMROCK REFG & MKTG  1828  
[b]CONOCO INC  1572[/b]  
ORION RFNG CORP  1404  
[b]PHILLIPS 66 CO  1078[/b]  
TESORO HAWAII CORP  619  
BP OIL SUPPLY CO  500  
TESORO PETRO CORP  299  
US OIL & REFG CO  99  
SHELL OIL CO  69  
VITOL S A INC 50  
Persian Gulf includes = Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and United Arab Emirates.  

[b]
[:O]Some of the good guys are in the bad list.

And when these patriotic companies that non-ignorant Americans are supposed to patronize see a sudden increase in gasoline demand they will compensate for the increased demand by importing more oil from???

From where ever they can get it, including from the "terrorists".[/b]
View Quote

No Boom, do the math, CITCO buys 1/9th the oil from the middle east than Chevron does for example.

Buy from the bottom of the list, make sure that they KNOW why you are buying from them and they will change where they buy their oil. Espcally CITCO, for whom the mid east is just a overload source- they are owned by the Venezuelan National Petrolium company, so they get their the majority of their oil from South America. They have options on where to get their overcapacity, the Mid East was just cheep at the time.

This kind of commercial pressure has been successful in every other industry where it has been tried. I fail to see why oil is exempt.

These figures are adjusted every month. If a company is greedy and switches to Middle East oil as you say, it will be detected and they will be subject to the boycott...
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#19]
So can I get an official ruling?

Is Snopes2 wrong on this one?

If so who is best to buy from?

I will pay a little extra and drive a little farther to NOT support the rags. Just wanna know I ain't wasting my time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So can I get an official ruling?

Is Snopes2 wrong on this one?

If so who is best to buy from?

I will pay a little extra and drive a little farther to NOT support the rags. Just wanna know I ain't wasting my time.
View Quote

If you would rather be safe not sorry go by the US Department of Energy Figures. They are here:[url]http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/data/summary.html[/url] and here:[url]http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/cli.html[/url]

New monthlies for March should be out any day now.
Snopes2 just didn't do enough research before panning that Jewish protest website.

On the other hand I don't know where that Jewish sight got the figure that Royal Dutch Shell imported 205 Million barrels from the middle east. RDS owns so much of the production from the North Sea, Carribean, and Indonisia, WHY would they need to buy that much from the Mid East makes no sense. The USDOE doesn't give a number anywhere near that for Shell imports into the US. According to the DOE figures Shell is the national gasoline chain that gets the LEAST petroleum from the middle east. Most of the other companies down on the bottom of the list with them are not found nation wide in the US.

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Who owns Sheetz, Hess, and Wilco?  These places have the cheapest gas in town, so I'm buying from them.  If they buy gas from the Iraqis, oh fucking well.  My pocketbook ain't too deep.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:42:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I was also wondering about Hess
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#23]
People like Redmanfms are the problem...
Lazy, cheap bastards who won't spend another $1 or 2 to NOT buy raghead oil.

I bet they wouldn't even miss that $1, but good thing for the towelheads- millions of ignorant/lazy vaginal bloodfarts like them are ignorant and/or stupid enough to do the same.  This translates to more $$$ in the pockets of the ragheads, and funding for terrorism.  

Congratufuckinglations, hope it was worth saving that one dollar.  What patriotism... [pissed]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top