Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2002 10:59:00 PM EDT
From Being around on these boards if I remember right you operate locomotives. I think this is correct. Anyway here is my question How does someone get into this position? I'm currently a senior in HS and I've had to take "career exams" a few times and that comes up often. My dad worked for the RR when he was younger (maint) I was just curios to find out what it takes to drive locomotives
thanks
OregonShooter
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:13:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Post this over in the Colt forum with the heading "Why My Bushmaster is Better Than Your Colt" and you will get a much faster reply.

[:D]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#2]
You could do a search for the Burlington Northern Santa Fe [BNSF]web site. I think they post job listings.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#3]
The first thing to know about "driving locomotives" is a railroad career is not a life, it's an adventure.  Most railroads operate 24/7 and there's really no fixed work schedule for train service employees.  You end up spending lots of time with your co-workers, to the point they become like family.

If you want to operate locomotives you'll need to interpret track signals so color-blindness will most likely be a disqualifier.  If you smoke pot, give up that habit because you'll be tested, especially when you are involved in an accident.  Most importantly, if you like a sedentary job sitting on your ass for long stretches of time watching the cows graze while waiting for the signal to turn green, then you will love working on the train.  

Once the railroad gets in your blood, it's hard to shake.  That's why you will meet guys with masters degrees working in the cabs of locomotives.  The downside of the job is seniority.  You'll eventually have to work in different locations if you want to maintain your seniority.

My advice is if you really want a job where you are responsible for operating equipment that transports frieght and/or passengers, go to school to be a ship captain or airline pilot.  As long as you are going to be away from home, you might as well be visiting some interesting places, rather than thousands of trips to the same railroad crew change point.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#4]
bump^^
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top