Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2002 8:38:51 PM EDT
I just watched this movie and its great, everyone should check it out. Thanks for the reccomendation fellow AR15ers.  I never was really into sci fi movies but I really enjoyed this one, what should I rent next is there any kind of sequel or movies similar too this one?

Someone was saying that there was a line in the movie about the guy and his $100 shotgun that he bought at the low price mart or something like that but I didn't see it in this movie?

any more reccomendations like this movie?
thanks
greg
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#1]
"Twenty Dollars" - or something similar.  It's about the life of a $20 bill, and is more interesting that it sounds...

There's another movie (22d Street?  It's a Danny Aiello) about a kid in New York City that's a good sleeper film.  It's about a kid that's just "come of age," has had good luck all his life, and has had NO idea what to do with it.  Jack Elam does a cameo as a surgeon...

As far as a line from "They Live" - I think the one you may be thinking of is when Roddy Piper walks into the bank and sez, "I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum.  And I'm all out of bubble gum."  Another good line is when he spots the little "spy drone" and sez, "Momma don't like tattletales!" right before he blasts it with a shotgun...

FFZ
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Great campy movie!

Another along slightly different lines but just as fun: [b]"Evil Dead II[/b]

"I'll swallow your soul, I'll swallow your soul!!"

"Grooooooovy"
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah - I forgot "Army of Darkness."

"Lady, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to ask you to leave the store."

"Who the Hell are you?"

"Name's Ash, Housewares."

How could I have forgotten that - or even -

"It got into my hand and went bad, so I lopped it off at the wrist."

One more purely for fun - "The Kentucky Fried Movie."  Definitely worth checking out!

FFZ
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Re-animator. That boy just wasn't right.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#5]
"THIS is my boomstick!"  (referring to shotgun)

Army of Darkness rules...
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:23:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#7]
it's a marvellous conspiracy theory flick. i, too, enjoyed the subliminal messages, especially "marry and reproduce".

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's a few I liked:

"The Thing" (1951)
"John Carpenter's The Thing" (1982)
"The Arrival" (1996)
"Escape From L.A." (1996)
"Escape From New York" (1981)
"Mad Max" (1979)
"The Road Warrior" (1981)
"The Ultimate Warrior" (1975)
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Someone was saying that there was a line in the movie about the guy and his $100 shotgun that he bought at the low price mart or something like that but I didn't see it in this movie?
View Quote
You're thinking about [i]Evil Dead[/i] or [i]Army of Darkness[/i] (same lead character - Ash - played by Bruce Campbell.  Very funny.  He worked in houswares at "S-Mart"
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:42:52 AM EDT
[#10]
so which should I see first evil dead or army of darkness? or does it matter?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
so which should I see first evil dead or army of darkness? or does it matter?
View Quote

Evil Dead 2
THEN
Army of Darkness (aka Evil Dead 3)

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#12]
If it's camp your looking for I highly recommend the following.

"Hell comes to Frogtown" (more Roddy Piper, half naked hotties, and a mutant frog with three d*cks))

"The Toxic Avenger" (no Piper but respectable T&A)
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#13]
"Nazi Surf Punks Must Die" or some such- saw it in college years ago- it was soooooooo bad, it was good......[:D]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
it's a marvellous conspiracy theory flick. i, too, enjoyed the subliminal messages, especially "marry and reproduce".

View Quote

My favorite was "This Is Your God."
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

"The Toxic Avenger" (no Piper but respectable T&A)
View Quote

The is the movie that features the immortal line "I always wanted to cornhole me a blind bitch!"
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#16]
marvl said
'Here's a few I liked:

"The Thing" (1951)
"John Carpenter's The Thing" (1982)
"The Arrival" (1996)
"Escape From L.A." (1996)
"Escape From New York" (1981)
"Mad Max" (1979)
"The Road Warrior" (1981)
"The Ultimate Warrior" (1975)'

Good list.  I'll see these & raise you:
Death Race 2000
Night Of The Comet "daddy would have gotten us Uzi's"

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#17]
"Basket Case"
"Videodrome"
"Phantasm"
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:36:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Wasn't that written on money?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#19]
so is there a "Evil Dead 1" or does it just start as Evil dead 2?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#20]
1911greg asked
'so is there a "Evil Dead 1" or does it just start as Evil dead 2?'

Evil Dead 2 is basically the same exact movie as Evil Dead (1).  The first one was a homegrown project by Sam Raimi, Rob Tapert & Bruce Campbell.  After #1 was a decent success the studios basically paid them to remake it with a bigger budget for effects etc.  There are some diferences but not enuff to really matter.  Army Of Darkness is the sequal to Evil Dead 2.    

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#21]
It's been so long, and my memory aint what it used to be. But "House" and "House 2, The Second Story" were pretty good.[:\]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
so is there a "Evil Dead 1" or does it just start as Evil dead 2?
View Quote

Evil Dead (the original) is low-budget and it shows. Still pretty creepy though. ***

Out of the entire trilogy, [b]"Evil Dead 2 - Dead by Dawn"[/b] is the best IMO. ****

Evil Dead 3 - Army of Darkness, is a continuation of the trials and tribulations of our man Ashe in the land of the Deadites. I didn't like it as much. ***

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#23]
There's a lot of similarities in style between the Evil Dead trilogy and the Mad Max trilogy.

Evil Dead & Mad Max -
Both low budget flicks with interesting but rather undeveloped storylines. Lots of potential in story and main characters.

Evil Dead 2 and Road Warrior -
Really cranks up the action and thrills - best of the group. Really gets you "ooooh-ing" and cheering in both.

Army of Darkness and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome -
Starting to tire of the characters (just a bit) and seems to be losing steam. Starting to become a bit too formularic (if that's a word).

But I guess the same could be said about many trilogies.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Wasn't that written on money?
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Return of The Living Dead
Return of The Living Dead Part II

Watch the whole series, even. But those two as an isolated work are neat, campy, funny horror flicks....

Scott

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#26]
They Live was a yawner. Army of Darkness was pretty fun.
" Honey, you got real ugly."
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#28]
"ReAnimator". What a flick. The blonde chick is hot as hell. My favorite part is when the surgeon's body holds it's head and moves it around the blonde chick's body......see for yourself. What a hoot. Put the kiddies to bed first.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#29]
No cheap horror movie with lots of weapons list is complete with out the movie:

[size=6]Bad Taste.[/size=6]

It’s hard to find.  There are usually copies for sale on Ebay.  Warning!  Its low budget, and disgusting!  If you like “Toxic Avenger” and “Surf Nazis Must Die” than you will like Bad Taste.

What is the zombie movie where they end up trapped and holding their position in the shopping mall?  

I love the part where they find the gun store and do target practice in the abandoned mall.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#30]
From Army of Darkness:

"Yo, she bitch.  Let's go"
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Note to self - add following to list of films considered "campy;"

Terrorvision

Spacehunter - Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (watch wth caution, and make sure you've slept recently.  Campy AND a yawner!)

Student Bodies (beyond campy - essentially a parody of most horror movies wrapped around a goodly dose of brainlessness.  I like the monologue in the middle, tho!)

There are more, there are always more...

FFZ
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What is the zombie movie where they end up trapped and holding their position in the shopping mall?  
View Quote

George Romero's "Dawn of the Dead"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top