Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/29/2010 8:20:45 AM EDT
I tried Cabelas , Bass pro , some outdoor trader and even contacting Woolrich directly. Im not looking for crapy light weight sweaters they all sell. Im looking for the old style , crew neck , heavy ass sweaters that still keep you warm with snow and ice stuck to them.

If anyone has an leads they would be great. Laura murdered all of my sweaters "trying to wash them"
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Too heavy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#2]
try Filson.
be prepared to spend some coin.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I spent awhile looking for a good wool sweater to wear during steelhead season, I finally found an old military one at a surplus shop for $20
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#4]

What happened to heavy wool sweaters for working outdoors etc

Technology presented lighter, warmer, and tougher alternatives. Join the 1990s.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Polyester fleece is far easier to take care of, even if it doesn't have the advantage of staying as warm when wet.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:26:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:27:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Surplus wool sweaters

But seriously, there are lighter alternatives out there nowadays. Woll has it's place, but I'f I'm working outside in blowing snow and sleet, I'm not going wool.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I haven't seen one in quite a while.  I would be interested in getting a few for myself and my brother.  You may have to order them from online.  I will do some digging.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Try looking for the British wool commando sweaters. I have one I got from Major Surplus and Survival, it's top notch and warm as hell.

Glad I read this post-I have an old threadbare Woolrich ragg wool I was needing to replace.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Check LL bean or Eddie Bauer and Pendleton.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Too itchy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What happened to heavy wool sweaters for working outdoors etc

I'll go with lighter for sure, warmer is debateable, but TOUGHER is the relm of wool for sure.  Polyester fleeces definitely have their place, and I'll say that their quick drying ability and comfort/feel exceed wools, but tougher they are not.......ever pass just a little to close to a flame with fleece? As others have said check Filson, but be prepared to spend....check e-bay......picked up a Filson Double Macinaw Cruiser last year for $200!  Good luck in your search!

RG

Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Synthetics perform better and weigh less.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Try looking for the British wool commando sweaters. I have one I got from Major Surplus and Survival, it's top notch and warm as hell.

Glad I read this post-I have an old threadbare Woolrich ragg wool I was needing to replace.

I've had one of these for years.  It will keep you warm but honestly, there are better alternatives around.  Fleece with an outer shell will do anything the old wool sweaters would do.  Easier to take care of, much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If you mean the type below, from what I recall, they are itchy as holy fuck against bare skin and shrink in the wash if you aren't careful.

Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yeah, but it doesn't draw the chicks in the way a huge wool sweater does.  Think Hemingway.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:35:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

All the ones I have, I got in Europe - so I'm no help at all.

Goose down sweaters....

Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but it doesn't draw the chicks in the way a huge wool sweater does.  Think Hemingway.  

If by that you mean chicks with dicks? No thanks.

Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Cromlech: That's the one, but I ALWAYS wear polypropelyne under it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you mean the type below, from what I recall, they are itchy as holy fuck against bare skin and shrink in the wash if you aren't careful.

I had one as a kid that I wore out.  My cousin got it for me when he when to the UK on a brief exchange tour as a Harrier pilot.  I was the only Royal Marine lookalike at my elementary school.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep.  With very few exceptions, synthetic fleece garments offer more performance and features.  If you are truly active in cold weather (and I don't mean sitting on in a tree stand) you will want pit zips, core vents and other features that are not found in wool sweaters.   Staving off hypothermia means staying dry during exertion in cold weather.  You're not going to get easy venting solutions with a wool sweater, whereas even moderately priced synthetic fleece jackets will have pit zips.

Last, fleece is easier to maintain.  Many wool garments are dry-clean only.  No need to go to the local dry cleaner with synthetic fleece.

Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#23]
The market spoke.  

The good: Warm, Long lasting (if not eaten)...

The bad: Not machine washable, Heavy, Expensive, Scratchy, Food for insects...

Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Cromlech: That's the one, but I ALWAYS wear polypropelyne under it.

Ahh, that makes sense. If I had a thinner turtle neck sweater underneath one it would be good, yeah.

On it's own, no thanks.

Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:38:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  With very few exceptions, synthetic fleece garments offer more performance and features.  If you are truly active in cold weather (and I don't mean sitting on in a tree stand) you will want pit zips, core vents and other features that are not found in wool sweaters.   Staving off hypothermia means staying dry during exertion in cold weather.  You're not going to get easy venting solutions with a wool sweater, whereas even moderately priced synthetic fleece jackets will have pit zips.

Last, fleece is easier to maintain.  Many wool garments are dry-clean only.  No need to go to the local dry cleaner with synthetic fleece.

Applications where flame is an issue are an exception, of course.  I wore wool sweaters and leather while flight instructing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Those things are itchy as fuck...

I'd say w/ all the newer materials out that ALSO stay warm wet wet, like polyester fleece, or polypropylene, or even just acrylic sweaters;

They are just not in demand.
FWIW, I see them all the time at the thrift store; I'm usually digging through the sweaters looking for cashmere or merino wool

Also, Sportsman's Guide used to sell the European ones pretty cheap; they prooly stil have them as I doubt they are selling out quick
Speed
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Polyester fleece is far easier to take care of, even if it doesn't have the advantage of staying as warm when wet.

Gore-tex over the top takes care of that...

Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#28]
What the hell is a sweater?

Kidding. Last winter it got pretty cold. Could have used one.

Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#29]
LOOK HERE FOR WOOL SWEATERS...

I picked up a Merino Wool fisherman's sweater when I was in Ireland a few years ago...every time I wear it, I get compliments / questions from women...some of them incredibly hawt...

Based on my experiences, I'll always have a nice looking Irish hand-made sweater in my wardrobe...
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Wool will drive you absolutely INSANE against bare skin, but it's a vital part of my outdoors/survival gear.

Don't go anywhere without my wool sweater, wool socks and polypropelyne LJs and sock liners.

Probably one of my warmest hunting combinations is a USGI ECWS longjohn top, British commando sweater, and British DPM fleece jacket (also from Major Surplus and Survival).

I can sit for hours without moving and stay toasty warm when the temp is in single digits.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
try Filson.
be prepared to spend some coin.

yup, good stuff
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Applications where flame is an issue are an exception, of course.  I wore wool sweaters and leather while flight instructing.

True.  Not only does synthetic fleece burn easily, it can stick to one's skin when ignited.  

I have a British commando sweater that I bought (used) at a gunshow for $15.  It's nice to throw on at home but if I'm out working the farm I'm going to need my vented jackets.  I sweat like nobody's business.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Why don't you ask the guys in the Maine hometown forum? I'm sure you can find a fisherman or lobster potter to give some good info...<runs off to MHTF>.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 9:01:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I had one as a kid that I wore out.  My cousin got it for me when he when to the UK on a brief exchange tour as a Harrier pilot.  I was the only Royal Marine lookalike at my elementary school.

Yeah - we had those in the Danish army, and I kept one when I left.  Still have it, and occasionally wear it.

But people are right, you definitely want to wear a tutleneck or other shirt underneath it, because it is very itchy.  

ETA:  Holy crap - I found an old picture of myself wearing it from the 1980s.

So what were the 1880s, er I mean, 1980s like Grandpa?
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

<snipperoo>

ETA:  Holy crap - I found an old picture of myself wearing it from the 1980s.
http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=22256[/div]

Did you guys ever get into the REFORGER games back then ?
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#38]
TAD Gear used to carry Merino Wool sweaters..I have 3 of them...ruined one so its a work duty sweater now but the other two are for non work duty....nice and warm....Dry clean only though unless you plan on becoming a midget
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
TAD Gear used to carry Merino Wool sweaters..I have 3 of them...ruined one so its a work duty sweater now but the other two are for non work duty....nice and warm....Dry clean only though unless you plan on becoming a midget

Thats what she did to my nice old heavy itchy wool ones  As for fleece. I have tons of fleece and cheap ass light woolrich sweaters.

Not only to we fish in winter , but we hunt , plow snow , trap etc. Im going to have to go though this thread in detail , take notes and hunt down leads.

Thanks guys

Link Posted: 9/29/2010 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Why don't you ask the guys in the Maine hometown forum? I'm sure you can find a fisherman or lobster potter to give some good info...<runs off to MHTF>.

Good idea!

Link Posted: 9/29/2010 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Synthetics do everything better except flame and odor resistance.  Price is a major factor too.  For most people, flame resistance isn't a necessity and synthetics wash better than wool, so they buy the less expensive garment.

Link Posted: 9/29/2010 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I want to get one made out steel wool.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
LOOK HERE FOR WOOL SWEATERS...

I picked up a Merino Wool fisherman's sweater when I was in Ireland a few years ago...every time I wear it, I get compliments / questions from women...some of them incredibly hawt...

Based on my experiences, I'll always have a nice looking Irish hand-made sweater in my wardrobe...

I'll second that.  Got mine in Scotland at a shop near St Andrews.  Hand made cable knit crew neck, weighs a ton but industrial strength warmth.  It's my go-to sweater if I know I'll be out in really cold weather.  Great looking sweater and have had many compliments on it over the years.   Required equipment IMO.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Tag in case someone has a source instead of misdirection to synthetics that are worthless when wet.

Link Posted: 9/29/2010 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Just picked one up a couple weeks ago.  It's awesome.  Not too heavy, but very warm without being bulky.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#48]
I used to have one, it was about an inch thick and warm as hell. Wish I still had it, but I lost it at a bar someplace.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 6:40:55 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/BJR-874.jpg

Just picked one up a couple weeks ago.  It's awesome.  Not too heavy, but very warm without being bulky.

DK Prof better check his closet.

Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top