Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2002 10:15:19 PM EDT
Remember a couple of years ago - the Vietnam era napalm that there was a storage controversy over - nobody wanted it in their back yard?

1. Why didn't we use it in the Gulf?

2. If it hasn't been disposed of, why aren't we using it now?

Tate
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:21:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been wondering what happened to napalm too. I have been wanting to get some. Does Ammoman carry it?
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh - I see we got rid of it - 4/5/01.

[url]http://www.nctimes.com/news/2001/20010405/a.html[/url]

[url]http://www.efdsw.navfac.navy.mil/Environmental/NapalmPhotos_CAN.htm[/url]

Leave it to the U.S. to develop an effective, cheap weapon -  store it -  not use it -  build a facility to separated and dispose of it - then tear the facility down and rip up the roads to provide habitat for mice.

And they're shredding the crates to send to a cogeneration plant to make steam. HAHAHA!!!!  Acres of NAPALM and theyre using the CRATES to make steam.... BWAHAHA!!!!

Some of us Americans are such stupid turds.

Tate  [puke]
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Lets see ... some of those styrefoam peanuts , some gasoline , a little diesel .... whoops not suppose to post this kind of stuff here . Anyway naplam is quite easy to make , its hell on these blackberries here . Now to get that delivery system together .

Hey Eschelon are you listening !

Forgive me but I'm in that kind of mood this week [;D]
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 1:11:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Its all about Foogas.  Crazy teacher of mine in my junior/senior year of high school told us all about it.  He led armor there and talked about pinning charlie to the trees with "beehive" rounds (tank flecettes).

Anywho, take a 50 gallon drum of diesel and add tide or any detergent and put a claymore on top of it.  The stroies he told about were so graphic it amazed the hell outta me.  Then hed get the glossed over look on his eyes.

Thats when Id walk away before hed start yelling at me about some of my retarded antics that got us both into trouble.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 2:01:47 AM EDT
[#7]
[url]http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/dumb/mk77.htm[/url]

The MK-77 is a napalm canister munition. The MK77 familiy is an evolution of the incendiary bombs M-47 and M-74, used during the conflict in Korea and the war in Vietnam. Napalm is an incendiary mixture of benzene, gasoline and polystyrene. The Marine Corps dropped all of the approximately 500 MK-77s used in the Gulf War. They were delivered primarily by the AV-8 Harriers from relatively low altitudes. MK-77s were used to ignite the Iraqis oil-filled fire trenches, which were part of barriers constructed in southern Kuwait.

Napalm is a mixture of benzene (21%), gasoline (33%), and polystyrene (46%). Benzene is a normal component of gasoline (about 2%). The gasoline used in napalm is the same leaded or unleaded gas that is used in automobiles.

The Department of the Navy (DoN) is undertaking a Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) removal action to remove and dispose of the napalm stockpile at the Fallbrook Detachment. The removal action is being taken to remove the potential for release of harmful levels of pollutants to the air which may result as the aluminum napalm canisters continue to degrade over time. Removal and disposal activities began in the Spring of 1998 and will take approximately two years to complete. The removal process involves On-site Demilitarization & Separation: napalm canisters will be decrated, punched, drained and shredded to result in three waste streams, wood, napalm, and aluminum; Containerization and Manifesting: napalm will be containerized in 6000 gallon tankers, aluminum in 55 gallon drums, and wood in 40 cubic yard steel boxes. All applicable state and federal manifesting procedures will be followed; Transportation: will be conducted in accordance with US Dept of Transportation regulations and will occur by truck from the Fallbrook Detachment to a Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton railhead and then by rail to treatment facilities, and finally; Treatment and Disposal: treatment of the napalm and aluminum wastes will occur at GNI, a Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Subtitle C permitted facility located in Deer Park, Texas. GNI will blend the napalm into alternative fuel for use as a substitute fuel at various cement manufacturing facilities. Treatment of the aluminum will occur by solvent cleaning. The clean aluminum will then be sent to a commercial smelter for recycling. Disposal of the wood will occur at a Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Subtitle D permitted co-generation facility located in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where it will be burned to produce electricity and steam.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 3:06:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Ammo sucks!
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 3:17:10 AM EDT
[#9]
THe newer firebombs that the military uses are much better than napalm.
When I was at 29 Palms back in '92 or a CAX, our Harriers did a little demo out by the mountains, carrying "shake and bake". Frigging HUGE fire!!! Then they had an OV-10 roll in with rockets.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 3:25:10 AM EDT
[#10]
On the Texas coast we have some oil refineries that are designed to eat some really nasty crude oil.    They mixed a lot of this napalm with the crude and processed it.  

So you may have used it in your car.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 3:39:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ammo sucks!
View Quote

TITS, CLITS, & BEER CANS

[img]http://www.mkdesigns.com/images/coins/airforce/ammo/ammo69.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.mkdesigns.com/images/coins/airforce/ammo/ammo29.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 3:42:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I've heard that it wasn't really all that effective, impressive tho it looks.  From what i hear you didn't need a lot of cover to be protected from it, a few inches of dirt would do it and it wouldn't flow well so a tunnel even under a fallen tree would be sufficient.  Of course if someone was caught in the open it was bad news.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:27:42 AM EDT
[#13]
For all of its storied history and great visuals, napalm has not proven to be all that effective a weapon.  If delivered accurately (always a dicey thing) it can to great damage to exposed infantry.  Even considering the residual stickiness of the jellied fuel, the characteristics of the flame patterns however mean that most of the weapon's energy is lost to the atmosphere as the flame rapidly dissipates up and out and there is usually just the effects of the fire, with little shock and blast to put on the target.

There are now far better area denial and interdiction bombs available to our armed forces.  One of these is the cluster bomb series that can pop out dozens of small bomblets that rain down on the enemy and can ruin the day of just about any target from people to tanks.

The other is the fuel-air-exploive or FAE.  This critter REALLY does the job on infantry, fixed emplacements, vehicles, ships and minefields.  Here is a video of a demo:  [url]http://www.nawcwpns.navy.mil/clmf/faeseq.html[/url]

We don't talk about these beasties too much because the press and the lefties (Isn't that redundant?) would have kittens if they found out we were using such horrible weapons to KILL our enemies (I guess they think that we should be restricted to just rifle fire...to keep it FAIR.).  Oh well...the things work.  Ask the Al Qaeda.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:36:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Now there's an acronym:

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

What's the long form?
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Napalm sticks to kids
mighty mighty napalm
sticks to kids[flame]

Cadence, U.S. Army basic training
Ft. Bliss Tx 1982

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#17]
It's in Toole, Utah, being dismantled as we speak.  That's pronounced tu-illa, fyi.

Didn't think the Texans knew about other places, huh? [:D]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice to see some fellow AMMO troops on the board.  I'm the AF TOMA for the Napalm T.O. (BLU-28??) which we just rescinded.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:19:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nice to see some fellow AMMO troops on the board.  I'm the AF TOMA for the Napalm T.O. (BLU-28??) which we just rescinded.  
View Quote

Ogden ALC ?

I was TDY to Hill Mar-May 2000 for Combat Hammer. (AGM-130 Test)
Nice base and Great area.
-David
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 3:59:19 AM EDT
[#22]
I "heard" that if the flames didn't get you but it pretty much sucked the oxygen out of the air and you just choked to death.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top