Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2002 5:06:29 PM EDT
For what it's worth I got the heaviest 12 gun safe they had (sentry) [;)]. I am moving into an apartment and will be moving around for the next few years so a new (heavier)one isn't really an option.

I was thinking about having the door panel welded  to the lock housing b/c it seems someone could use a crowbar to get the sucker open, not to sturdy.

Also what about attaching a wooden top/side and painting it to match then filling the void with something nasty in case they tried to cut through it (torch or sawz-all)?

Let's hear some suggestions please
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Your question seems more toward making this thing harder to crack.  I made do with a Homak when I was renting and in school, all I did was make it harder to move by putting about 10 bags of shot in the bottom.  As for hardening it, I dunno how much luck you are going to have as it will keep out the amateurs already and the real pros will get into it quickly anyway.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I am trying to make it harder to crack. I am going to lag bolt it into the corner so I am not that concerned about them taking it with them.

But the gap between the door plate and the sides and top seem like you could get a crow bar in there. The housing with the seems to just have a few spot welds holding it to the front plate.. I can't see it though. Seems like a continous weld would add a lot of strength?

It was a $300 Sentry 12 gun safe.

[img]http://www.poolleisure.com/images/safe1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.poolleisure.com/images/safe4.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#4]
12nv,

Do you think you could post a full interior shot of that Sentry and some dimensions?
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry i took out all the toys for you.

The internal dimensions are aprox 17" wide,
14" deep 54" high.

[img]http://www.poolleisure.com/images/safe5.jpg[/img]

Come on people any ideas?
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Approximate weight?  Price?  I'm looking at a safe right now, but I can't get the one I want since I'm on the 2nd floor of an apartment.  This one might be a nice cheap one for temporary use.
View Quote

I just bought one exactly like it two weeks ago at my local Academy for $299.  I have it in an upstairs apartment right now so it would be perfect for your application.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Negative ghost rider on the fire rating.. you could add your own sheetrock..

Dammit I am trying to get suggestions not sell the damn thing ...
[:)]

BTW 12 gun safe is more like 6-7 ar's
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#11]
We live in a two story townhome.  Myt wife is home most of the time with a .38 always in the kitchen.  I don't know a better way than that to protect my cheap $100 safe.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am trying to make it harder to crack. I am going to lag bolt it into the corner so I am not that concerned about them taking it with them.

View Quote
Had a guy that had a shop next to mine one time that was broken into sevferal times and they kept getting into a big SnapOn standing cabinet. Got tired of it and wired the cabinet to 220 and would switch it on at night when he left. [shock] I asked him how he was going to get out of a law suit for killing someone. He said Kill who? I won't kill anyone. He says"Hey, can you throw this stuff in my big dumpster back there for me" [:D] He was broken into again but nothing was stolen.....(????) Of course this is just a story to amuse you guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top