Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2010 7:58:18 AM EDT

I'm registered as a provider with Onforce and time to time I'll accept work orders to perform computer repair services. Last night I was routed a work order to update the serial number in the BIOS for a workstation, I figured "what the hell, that's an easy $54" Boy was I wrong. The WO was scheduled for last night but after calling the end user he had no idea about this job so I had his help desk call him and explain it to him. He was then like OK do the job but you can't do it tonight I'm too "swamped" can we do it tomorrow at 8am. Ok fine

Well I get out site this morning and after an hour dicking around with the end users help desk it is realized that in order to update the serial number for this particular BIOS I need a "special" BIOS update CD. This was never mentioned in my work order like it is with other jobs I have done. It just say "Update BIOS serial number to XXXXXXX"

It was also never mentioned in the WO that the CD required to do this job was mailed out last night and was going to be delivered today by 10:30am. Ok, why the fuck was this WO originally scheduled for last night then? I'm OK with the fact that the end user had a lot of work to do and could not afford any down time, I am not OK with the fact that I never would have been able to completed this job to begin with at the scheduled time. <o:p></o:p>

Now having called the EU to confirm if he has received the package with the CD I find out he still doesn't have it, so I called the people who were supposed to ship it and found out they never shipped it.

]This situation is so fucked up. The End User's help desk contracts out do another company who contracts out to the company that contacted with me and no one appears to have a fucking clue what the anyone is doing. The $30 increase to make a second trip doesn't even seem worth it now. At this point I just what the money for the time already wasted with this bull shit and tell them to find someone else.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#1]
why do you change serial numbers????  shouldnt a serial number never change?
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:11:44 AM EDT
[#2]
They couldn't post the ISO for you to download?
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't do it unless you are contractually obligated for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Mobo replacement is one reason to update serials in the bios...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:24:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:38:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They couldn't post the ISO for you to download?

The problem is too much fucking out sourcing and not enough communication. The company I'm doing the job didn't have any clue that these IBM computers need a BIOS utility to update the serial number nor did they know anything was being shipped until they started calling people.

This isn't the first time they sent me a borked WO either. A few months ago I had to do a hard drive repair at a liquor store in Bumfuck VA(I was way out in the country, no cell service of any kind what so ever. ) It turned out the help desk of the ABC store transposed the store numbers when taking the work order so I end up in the wrong place along with the part. I did get paid the full amount for that job though.

If I do end up finishing this job I'm going to get paid $90(maybe more if there is more bullshit), now you figure the company paying me is going to bill their customer who is then going to bill the end user. So this "simple" serial number update which I'm sure could have been done remotely with an OS flash utility is going to cost around $500 I bet. It's just freaking crazy and some what sickening.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Can't ya get the files off the net? Most IBM stuff is on their site, except the Maintenance Disk, which is still on floppy
But of course, gotta be supper secret squirell with that Disk....
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Can't ya get the files off the net? Most IBM stuff is on their site, except the Maintenance Disk, which is still on floppy

But of course, gotta be supper secret squirell with that Disk....

Maybe, just maybe if the computer was shelved for repair I'd suggest that but with all the run around I've had this morning and the fact no one at the 3 help desks seem to have a the full picture of the situation I'm not risking it. The computer in question is working and being used by someone to do their job. I don't want to have their PC die because of a bad flash.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Just get them on the phone and recite the three magic words. Spend limit increase! THAT will get things moving!
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:01:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't know anything about computers.
Can they play solitaire or not ?
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
why do you change serial numbers????  shouldnt a serial number never change?

The serial number is assigned to the chasis, if the MB is replaced you should be updating the SN in the BIOS so they match.

Plus some software ties to the identity of the system on which it is licensed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top