Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2010 5:35:41 PM EDT
What is the preferred method for shipping a handgun from an individual to a buyer's FFL? Also, do you need to state what it actually is or can you use something like "machine parts" etc? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#1]
preferably in a box
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#2]
IOO

(in on one)
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to UPS or FEDEX. Tell them it is a handgun. They will look at it and are supposed to determine that it is unloaded. They will ship it air per law or policy. It will be adult sig required also. It will cost upward of 50 bucks to maybe 80 I guess depending on other factors. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
preferably in a box

And Overnight, maybe?

Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Go to UPS or FEDEX. Tell them it is a handgun. They will look at it and are supposed to determine that it is unloaded. They will ship it air per law or policy. It will be adult sig required also. It will cost upward of 50 bucks to maybe 80 I guess depending on other factors. YMMV.
wrong , proof coming

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Also, do you need to state what it actually is or can you use something like "machine parts" etc? Thanks

Has anybody actually had to declare the contents of a package in writing when shipping domestically? I've never, ever seen anything asking to describe the contents, only one for declared value.

I've never been asked, either, besides the usual "fragile/perishable/hazardous" line.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
wrong , proof coming

Yep, per federal law you only have to notify if the firearm is not going to a FFL holder - which would only legally be one of two cases - shipping to yourself or shipping wholly intrastate.

And somebody has an ATF letter on the subject confirming this... I've seen it posted many times, but I've never bothered to save a copy.

ETA - And there's sure as hell no requirement about them inspecting the firearm to ensure that is unloaded.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.thehighroad.us/archive/index.php/t-132738.html

This letter is still valid, you should not lie about whats being shipped but if you are shipping to an FFL the ATF has admitted they were wrong and you do not have to notify if shipped to an FFL licensee .

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
wrong , proof coming

Been there and did it a few weeks ago so.............................................................
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is the preferred method for shipping a handgun from an individual to a buyer's FFL? Also, do you need to state what it actually is or can you use something like "machine parts" etc? Thanks

find a friendly local FFL and let them mail it USPS Priority for you
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This letter is still valid, you should not lie about whats being shipped but if you are shipping to an FFL the ATF has admitted they were wrong.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d90/rusticarts/batfn.jpg

What you posted does not make my comment wrong at all. If you want to play by their rules it is easy to do just follow the steps on their websites.

From an individual to a buyers FFL.

UPS tells you right on their site how they like to do it and there are different things they like to do for handguns and rifles. Handguns have to be shipped more rapidly for some reason while long guns can go ground.

OP I'm telling you the truth. O yea, they ask that the box have no markings indicating that there is a firearm inside, so no boxes with Remington blazed on the side.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wrong , proof coming

Been there and did it a few weeks ago so.............................................................
I personally verified this with the ATF as I ship firearms everyday as an 07/SOT.

We have guns shipped to us everyday and although it is UPS & FEDX policy it is not law.

So what can they do if you violate the policy?

Deny you insurance claim if they lose the gun, not much else.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
wrong , proof coming

I personally verified this with the ATF as I ship firearms everyday as an 07/SOT.
We have guns shipped to us everyday and although it is UPS & FEDX policy it is not law.

While I understand what you are saying, did you bother to read his post and then think about how my answer was still valid?

Not everyone is a fuckin secret squirrel. It is easy to do what they want and it only takes 2 minutes of your time once there. No sweat.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This can be as hard as finding a unicorn that farts double rainbows.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This letter is still valid, you should not lie about whats being shipped but if you are shipping to an FFL the ATF has admitted they were wrong.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d90/rusticarts/batfn.jpg

What you posted does not make my comment wrong at all. If you want to play by their rules it is easy to do just follow the steps on their websites.

From an individual to a buyers FFL.

UPS tells you right on their site how they like to do it and there are different things they like to do for handguns and rifles. Handguns have to be shipped more rapidly for some reason while long guns can go ground.

OP I'm telling you the truth. O yea, they ask that the box have no markings indicating that there is a firearm inside, so no boxes with Remington blazed on the side.
They are telling you how they like it, that is a whole lot different than the law.

Also not marking the outside of the package gun or anything like gun is a Federal law not policy.

But hey I just do this for a living what the hell do i know, right?

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wrong , proof coming

While I understand what you are saying, did you bother to read his post and then think about how my answer was still valid?

Not everyone is a fuckin secret squirrel. It is easy to do what they want and it only takes 2 minutes of your time once there. No sweat.
Really?

Easy?

No!

They have that policy for two reasons I know of.

1-They have thieves working for them and they want the gun in their care for as short a time as possible.

2-They force you to ship it overnight Air and collect 5 times what it cost ground.    

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
wrong , proof coming

Really?
Easy?
No!
They have that policy for two reasons I know of.
1-They have thieves working for them and they want the gun in their care for as short a time as possible.
2-They force you to ship it overnight Air and collect 5 times what it cost ground.    

Ok, well tell the op how you think he should ship the firearm.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
wrong , proof coming

Yep, per federal law you only have to notify if the firearm is not going to a FFL holder - which would only legally be one of two cases - shipping to yourself or shipping wholly intrastate.

And somebody has an ATF letter on the subject confirming this... I've seen it posted many times, but I've never bothered to save a copy.

ETA - And there's sure as hell no requirement about them inspecting the firearm to ensure that is unloaded.

Why would it matter if they did check?

Paranoia?

Going to the place with a gun in a white box and letting them see it and then charge you 50 bucks ain't that fuckin hard and there is nothing intrusive about it IMO.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

wrong , proof coming

Paranoia?

Going to the place with a gun in a white box and letting them see it and then charge you 50 bucks ain't that fuckin hard and there is nothing intrusive about it IMO.
There is no law or even policy to inspect the gun at the counter.

It would matter because if they did inspect it they would make you ship it overnight air and it might cost as much as $80

So apparently you like being forced to pay 5 times what you could legally spend?

WTF?

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
wrong , proof coming

Paranoia?

It may not be "hard" but it surely is expensive.

And it can be hard at times when you get people at the counter that don't know what they are doing and it takes 20 minutes to figure out they can ship a firearm.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Most hassle free method I've found.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Read five posts up and answer the question for the man.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Obtuse

look it up if you don't know what it means

(somehow I think you have heard the word before)

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
wrong , proof coming

That's more than enough reason for me right there, I've shipped 25-30 guns, they haven't lost one yet, but I just know the first time I get cheap and don't declare a handgun they'll lose the damn thing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
wrong , proof coming

That's more than enough reason for me right there, I've shipped 25-30 guns, they haven't lost one yet, but I just know the first time I get cheap and don't declare a handgun they'll lose the damn thing.

I guess it depends on the value of the gun but generally if the handgun is worth 300-500 like most handguns seem to range, its not worth an extra $40 to "insure" it.

The odds of losing it are quite slim.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
wrong , proof coming

yeah, i made that mistake.  cost me $70 if i remember correctly.

if you don't want to not notify ups or fedex that you're shipping a firearm have your ffl ship it, it'll be cheaper (in my case about $40) but still more expensive then not informing ups/fedex and shipping through them

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Obtuse

Dude, if you are so smart and know all the things you DON't have to do then why won't you answer his question?

Jesus dude, that's all I'm trying to say.

You are sniping at my way, well then tell him how you think he should do it.

It is that simple, but somehow you suggest I am the one being obtuse.

If I did not know better I would think you were a child.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Most hassle free method I've found.

And it is much cheaper most of the time.  Last time I sold a handgun, ups wanted $50 plus to ship it.  I went to a local FFL and they did it for $20.  All they had to do is log it in their bound book and tape up my flat rate usps box.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Obtuse

Dude, if you are so smart and know all the things you DON't have to do then why won't you answer his question?

I posted the ATF letter, I informed the OP what he can do according to the ATF to be with in the law.

What do I have to do, draw a map?

Get a life I'm done

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Obtuse

I posted the ATF letter, I informed the OP what he can do according to the ATF to be with in the law.
What do I have to do, draw a map?
Get a life I'm done

Well at least that is one ATF letter you DO have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top