Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2010 4:58:22 PM EDT
I accidentally found this and thought I should share.

Source.

In an effort to ensure the safety and security of our associates and customers, we have a clear company policy regarding weapons in the workplace. The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. prohibits all persons who enter Company property from carrying a handgun, firearm, or prohibited weapon of any kind onto the property regardless of whether the person is licensed to carry the weapon or not. Exceptions apply to on-duty law enforcement personnel. This policy applies to all Company employees, visitors, customers, and contractors on Company property –– including our Company-owned stores. All Company properties have received a decal or sign referencing this policy, and have been instructed to post it.

It sucks because I liked their Assurance Trippletreads, but they will not be getting another dime from me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Where the fuck have you been? This is standard is pretty much every large corp. I've known...
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Source.

In an effort to ensure the safety and security of our associates and customers, we have a clear company policy regarding weapons in the workplace. The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. prohibits all persons who enter Company property from carrying a handgun, firearm, or prohibited weapon of any kind onto the property regardless of whether the person is licensed to carry the weapon or not. Exceptions apply to on-duty law enforcement personnel. This policy applies to all Company employees, visitors, customers, and contractors on Company property –– including our Company-owned stores. All Company properties have received a decal or sign referencing this policy, and have been instructed to post it.

It sucks because I liked their Assurance Trippletreads, but they will not be getting another dime from me.

The logic of the left is a joke.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Concealed means concealed.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#4]
What sign?

FWIW, Whole Foods just took their "no handguns" sign down with minimal fanfare, not that it carried any particular weight in LA anyway.

I had occasional thoughts about strolling in wearing sandals and a Led Zeppelin shirt with my SBR slung across my back.

[stoned hippy voice]"What, dude?  The sign says no handguns.  Does this look like a handgun to you, man?"
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Where the fuck have you been? This is standard is pretty much every large corp. I've known...

I know that most large corporations prohibit employees from carrying, but Goodyear's policy also seems to not want customers to carry in their stores and have gone to the extent of posting signs.  I have not seen such signs at Firestone, Tire Rack, Discount Tire, etc.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#6]
It is all about money.  Your life is meaningless to such, your money and their money are not.  If you die because of following their policy, too bad for you, so long as they don't get sued.  Especially, for pizza delivery drivers.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

True if they were the only place to buy tires.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It's just CYA, anyway.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't choose my tires based upon researching their corporate policies.

To extend your logic - you shouldn't buy tires from Tire Rack either - since they sell Goodyear tires.  And you shouldn't shop at any store that sells Goodyear tires.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't choose my tires based upon researching their corporate policies.

To extend your logic - you shouldn't buy tires from Tire Rack either - since they sell Goodyear tires.  And you shouldn't shop at any store that sells Goodyear tires.

And I shouldn't live in states that give licenses to these businesses or a planet that tolerates such practices.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank God I live in Florida, where such signs don't mean a fucking thing!

(edit, not that I would ever buy a piece of shit Goodyear tire anyway. I work in the tire industry, and their crap tires are a joke.)

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep. Butt fuck Goodyear anyway.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

OK is the same.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK is the same.

So few people carry in NYS, that most places don't have that sign. I would wager that a majority of folks in the state actually have no idea concealed carry (with a permit) is legal.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Source.

It's not the logic of the Left. It's the logic of the corporate legal department. They have this rule so if some pissed off employee or customer goes nuts and shoots a bunch of people on company property, then when the families of the victims sue the company, then the company can demonstrate they did everything within reason to prevent guns on the property. It's all about minimizing the amount of money they would have to pay in the event of a lawsuit.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Every big company has this policy, its probably CYA for the nuts who crazy and start shooting when they get fired.   I worked at a tire store for a while and they had the same policy.   The manager asked me to start carrying at work when we started getting a lot of drug dealer customers buying the 28" wheels and tires    I did carry but for my protection not his
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Source.

It's not the logic of the Left. It's the logic of the corporate legal department. They have this rule so if some pissed off employee or customer goes nuts and shoots a bunch of people on company property, then when the families of the victims sue the company, then the company can demonstrate they did everything within reason to prevent guns on the property. It's all about minimizing the amount of money they would have to pay in the event of a lawsuit.

Precisely.  If someone gets killed or maimed by violent means in their store, the victim or their family should sue the company for having denied the customer optimal means of self-defense.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Les Schwab supports your right carry.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know that most large corporations prohibit employees from carrying, but Goodyear's policy also seems to not want customers to carry in their stores and have gone to the extent of posting signs.  I have not seen such signs at Firestone, Tire Rack, Discount Tire, etc.

Doesn't matter down here, and quite frankly, if I felt threatened at work, I'd have one regardless of company policy. Unemployed is better than dead.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#20]
OP Cmon.   Wish I had that little to worry about.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Fuck Goodyear

Fuck its policy

Fuck its low rate budget Fatty World fucking little tires.

Suck My CCL bitch
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Strictest company policy I've seen:

No guns on their property, job sites, nor even in personal vehicles while on company time.  They covered all angles relative to CCW.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

(edit, not that I would ever buy a piece of shit Goodyear tire anyway. I work in the tire industry, and their crap tires are a joke.)

+1 on both counts!!

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The_4th_Horseman, I'd like you to meet Phurba.

Phurba, I'd like you to meet The_4th_Horseman.

You two play nice now.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Firestone has them on the employee entrance and the entrance to the garage from the showroom - but not on the customer door.  I notice a lot of local car dealerships have the signs.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Strictest company policy I've seen:

No guns on their property, job sites, nor even in personal vehicles while on company time.  They covered all angles relative to CCW.

The new CCW revision that's making its way through the state legislature will make it so an employer will not be able to bar employees from having a gun in their car.  It will also allow you to carry in establishments that serve alcohol as long as you aren't drinking.  Strickland has agreed to sign it if it hits his desk.  I don't think John Kasich has made the same promise - but given his track record on gun rights I think his reaction will be a predictable veto.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Firestone has them on the employee entrance and the entrance to the garage from the showroom - but not on the customer door.  I notice a lot of local car dealerships have the signs.

Firestone doesn't have that shit in my area. The auditor doesn't even comment on the NRA sticker and Larue "Extremely Rightwing" sticker on my tool box when he comes by to inspect the place.
They have a 'no weapons' clause in the Employee handbook, the basic generic one that all companies have, but they don't look for them.
Even when they do the inspections on our cars looking for stolen parts (which annoys the living fuck out of me, guilty until proven innocent and all) they don't look inside the cars.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What tires do you prefer - especially all terrain, for full-sized trucks?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Order your shit from Tire Rack or carry concealed and you don't have to worry about it. Companies have to do what they do based on insurance rates, not what they feel is right especially publically held companies who you have a interest in because your 401k invests in them. I'm just saying, don't let a little corporate statute get your pants in a wad. Hell our company forbids, guns ammo and anything firearms related on property, but that hasn't stopped people who live in Indiana from leaving their carry weapons in the car I'm sure.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Order your shit from Tire Rack or carry concealed and you don't have to worry about it. Companies have to do what they do based on insurance rates, not what they feel is right especially publically held companies who you have a interest in because your 401k invests in them. I'm just saying, don't let a little corporate statute get your pants in a wad. Hell our company forbids, guns ammo and anything firearms related on property, but that hasn't stopped people who live in Indiana from leaving their carry weapons in the car I'm sure.

You're right, a little company policy is not inherently a huge deal, but the trend it perpetuates is.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Fuck Les Schwab.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck Les Schwab.

Why?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Source.

well fuck them. this why I go to tire kingdom!

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:27:18 AM EDT
[#36]
What the helll..........ARE YOU GUYS ALL FUCKING IDIOTS !    

This PREVENTS a whack-job from going in the place and shooting a bunch of folks !
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:32:22 AM EDT
[#37]
OP,

Corporations don't necessarily have these policies because they want them, but because they have to have them.

The policies aren't about what's right and what is wrong, but is a result of a corporation's need to reduce their exposure to litigation.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:34:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Source.

Shhhhh, don't tell them about the range that's on their property...

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:37:17 AM EDT
[#39]
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but my local goodyear isn't posted no guns.  

let's hope it stays that way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:42:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Meh... Goodyears suck, or at least the Fortera Silent Armors I had on my truck did.  Supposedly a 70k mile premium tire, but mine wore unevenly and needed replacement after ~40k miles.  The Michelins I had prior to them lasted 60k and wore evenly.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:42:49 AM EDT
[#41]
That's nice of Goodyear to be concerned about my safety.  Thanks but I withold the right to keep and bear arms and to protect myself.

For the record, I was carrying when I purchased a $900 set of tires in a Goodyear store a few month ago.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:44:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This. I carry in their Union City facility everytime I pick up a load.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:47:05 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I carry at many places where they say that I can't. My rights will not be infringed by some corporate "policy".

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:47:43 AM EDT
[#44]
all that means here is, if they ask you to leave and you don't, it's trespassing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:09:14 AM EDT
[#45]
My work has that policy too.

This Saturday, after I get out I'm taking one of my co-workers to the range.

So I will be bringing a .22, 9mm, .357 and a .45 to work in a big case.

I won't leave them in my truck - we had two cars stolen from the parking lot over the past 3 years.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:16:00 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

yeah

My buddy found out about their Chinese made Goodyear Marathons when his trailer had several blowouts

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

What the helll..........ARE YOU GUYS ALL FUCKING IDIOTS !    

This PREVENTS a whack-job from going in the place and shooting a bunch of folks !

Do you think a whack job cares about company policy. I don't care either way but that logic is flawed.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:26:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What sign?

FWIW, Whole Foods just took their "no handguns" sign down with minimal fanfare, not that it carried any particular weight in LA anyway.

I had occasional thoughts about strolling in wearing sandals and a Led Zeppelin shirt with my SBR slung across my back.

[stoned hippy voice]"What, dude?  The sign says no handguns.  Does this look like a handgun to you, man?"

Good one.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yup. I wouldn't work for them. So no worries.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Pretty much standard.

A place I worked at in Snobbsdale, AZ had a policy against weapons (since ADT did our payroll, it was THEIR policy) , CCW or otherwise. The owner and I BOTH had a handgun at ALL times. He got his CCW permit about a month before I got mine. We'd often compare new handguns in his office.

The compay had Diamondbacks season tickets-4 of them-and one year the D'backs forgot to send us a renewal notice. When the owner finally realized it, he called and the front office told him that the tickets were still available but would have to be paid for IN CASH within the next two days or they'd be released for open purchase. My boss walks in to the office, over to my desk and says, "You got a gun on you today, don't you?"

ME: Yep. What's up?"

HIM: "I need you to drive down to the ballpark and pick up our season tickets. They're waiting for you at the ticket office. Here's $8350 cash, go get 'em." (they were REALLY NICE tickets, third base line, 5 rows from the field)

The place I'm at now "officially" has a no weapons policy but RIGHT NOW there are 3 people walking the floor with CCWs and handguns, 1 carrying w/o permit, mine is in my desk drawer 10" away, and I'm sure I could scrounge up AT LEAST 6 long guns and a handgun from our yard guy's vehicles.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top