Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2010 1:05:21 PM EDT
Spent the past couple hours wrestling with a piece of crap.  Not even a COMPLICATED piece of crap.  

I bought a folding aluminum kayak rack for my 2004 F150. (online kayak store)   Even has the "America proud"  sticker on it.

Damn thing is getting boxed up and going back tomorrow.

Here's a short list of the "quality" workmanship.  (Keep in mind it says right on the box F150 shortbed 2003-2009)

It's not wide enough to fit the bed. Falls short by 1 3/8th" at maximum extension.

The holes drilled in the support brackets are 3/8". (a couple are 5/8")  The holes in the matching uprights are 5/16"  Even at that, they don't line up. The top one does, the rest are off by about 1/4".

The bolts supplied are all 5/16" and too short if used with the supplied lock washers.  There are no blind bolts (Needed because of the double-sided bed) So no way to attach them even if I could get the holes to line up.

The ends of the square tubing aren't square.  The padding on the brackets is peeling off right out of the box.

I paid $370 for this.  According to the phone guy I have to return it at my expense and subject to a %20 restocking fee. We'll see about that.

I'm going To Harbor Freight and getting a $50 ladder rack.  At least it'll work.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#1]
The Chinese don't even screw up that bad.

Slap em with a chargeback.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It dosent matter where a product is made, only that it offers quality at a reasonable price. It could be made in China, USA, or Bangladesh, dosent matter to me at all.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Take photos.

Send to Credit card company if they require backup.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I refer you to season 6 of The Simpsons
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Take photos.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Take photos.

Already dealt with the credit Card Company. (good people imo)   Now we're debating the shipping and stocking fee. Awaiting callback.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#7]
your completely right, everything made here is junk. our prez sucks balls and our freedoms are being taken from us faster than we can keep track of. better leave now and move to china.

Dibs on guns since you can't have them there.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

your completely right, everything made here is junk. our prez sucks balls and our freedoms are being taken from us faster than we can keep track of. better leave now and move to china.

Dibs on guns since you can't have them there.

So who took a dump in your Wheaties this morning?

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Man, that sucks.    

On a side note, it's amazing how expensive those racks are to begin with.   I'd like a kayak rack for my car so I don't have to drive my truck every time I want to go kayaking and a Yakima rack is $470!  

I hope they settle up with you fair and square.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It dosent matter where a product is made, only that it offers quality at a reasonable price. It could be made in China, USA, or Bangladesh, dosent matter to me at all.

that
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#11]
OK OP now out with it; who's the manufacturer?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, it's American made, but was it Union made?

There's your problem right there.

No Union, no piece (fits).

/sarcasm
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#13]
There was a thread in here a few years back about Yakima racks being owned by a company that funnels money to islamic extremists.

I can't remember if it was proven true or false.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There was a thread in here a few years back about Yakima racks being owned by a company that funnels money to islamic extremists.

Well scratch that idea then.   How about Thule?

BTW, I mentioned Yakima in my post.    The OP didn't.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#15]
If you already got the charge blocked/refunded Shipping and restocking is their problem. They did infact ship you the defective piece of shit in the 1st place.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Get a real boat with a trailer and your problem is solved
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take photos.

Already dealt with the credit Card Company. (good people imo)   Now we're debating the shipping and stocking fee. Awaiting callback.

The manufacturer should issue you a call tag and have UPS pick it up.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OK OP now out with it; who's the manufacturer?

Not until I get the money squared away.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Get a real boat with a trailer and your problem is solved

I already have three "real boats"   The kayaks are for exercise. Gotta keep the cardiologist off my back.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Man, that sucks.    

On a side note, it's amazing how expensive those racks are to begin with.   I'd like a kayak rack for my car so I don't have to drive my truck every time I want to go kayaking and a Yakima rack is $470!  

I hope they settle up with you fair and square.

Yakima and Thule stuff is generally built to withstand anything short of and possibly including a hurricane, in my experience.

My Thule rack is MASSIVE. I think overbuilt might be an understatement.

Doesn't sound like the kind of quality the OP received at all.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Well who owns Yakima?

YAKIMA, LEADING DESIGNER AND MANUFACTURER OF VEHICLE CARGO
MANAGEMENT EQUIPMENT, ANNOUNCES MERGER WITH KEMFLO INTERNATIONAL CO.
LTD., LONG-TERM SUPPLY CHAIN PARTNER

Monday, December 28, 2009

Company Positioned to Expand its Global Presence

BEAVERTON, Ore. (December 28, 2009)  –– Yakima, a
leading designer and manufacturer of vehicle cargo management solutions,
today announced its merger with Kemflo International Co. Ltd., a
long-term strategic supply chain partner with headquarters in Taiwan and
business interests in Europe, Asia and the United States. Kemflo is a
leading manufacturer of consumer durables, water filtration, and metal
and electronic products. Yakima, formerly owned by Arcapita, a leading
international investment firm, will become a subsidiary of Kemflo. The
company will operate as an independent subsidiary with existing
operations, product, marketing, sales, customer management and
administrative functions remaining in Beaverton, Ore. Harris Williams
& Co. acted as the exclusive advisor to Yakima.

"Yakima, the
leading cargo management equipment brand in the United States, is an
iconic brand with a loyal consumer following," said C.S. Lin, CEO of
Kemflo. "We have had the pleasure of serving as a strategic supply chain
partner with Yakima for the last nine years and have first hand
knowledge of the opportunity for growing the brand both in the U.S. and
internationally.  We look forward to working closely with its
experienced management team to grow the brand, expand its capabilities
and bring more consumers into the Yakima family. Kemflo will bring new
resources to Yakima, resulting in optimized sourcing, an enhanced supply
chain, and more efficiency in operations and business systems,
overall," said Jerry Heinlen, CEO, Yakima. "The merger enables us to
increase speed to market globally through expanded product development
and market expansion initiatives.  As a long-term partner, Kemflo is
familiar with our brand and products and currently manufactures several
products for Yakima."

The company plans to maintain its current
workforce and operational footprint, including its headquarters in
Beaverton, Oregon, manufacturing facilities in Mexico, and its network
of sales agencies across North America and in other countries.

About
Yakima

?Yakima is a world leader in the design and
manufacture of cargo management equipment solutions for outdoor
enthusiasts. Yakima’s products include: vehicle racks for bikes, boats,
ski equipment and gear, a line of cargo boxes and bags for a variety of
needs, as well as high performance multi-sport trailers. Yakima Products
is headquartered in Beaverton, Oregon. For more information, visit
www.yakima.com.

About Kemflo

Kemflo
International Co., Ltd, with headquarters in Pingtung, Taiwan, is a
leading manufacturer of consumer durables, water filtration, and metal
and electronic products with plants located in Taiwan and China. Kemflo
makes a wide range of products under its own brand and for well-known
foreign brands. It has 1,900 employees with offices in Taiwan, China,
U.S. and Europe.

Rumor sounds rather ridiculous to me.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well who owns Yakima?

YAKIMA, LEADING DESIGNER AND MANUFACTURER OF VEHICLE CARGO MANAGEMENT EQUIPMENT, ANNOUNCES MERGER WITH KEMFLO INTERNATIONAL CO. LTD., LONG-TERM SUPPLY CHAIN PARTNER

Monday, December 28, 2009

Company Positioned to Expand its Global Presence

BEAVERTON, Ore. (December 28, 2009)  –– Yakima, a leading designer and manufacturer of vehicle cargo management solutions, today announced its merger with Kemflo International Co. Ltd., a long-term strategic supply chain partner with headquarters in Taiwan and business interests in Europe, Asia and the United States. Kemflo is a leading manufacturer of consumer durables, water filtration, and metal and electronic products. Yakima, formerly owned by Arcapita, a leading international investment firm, will become a subsidiary of Kemflo. The company will operate as an independent subsidiary with existing operations, product, marketing, sales, customer management and administrative functions remaining in Beaverton, Ore. Harris Williams & Co. acted as the exclusive advisor to Yakima.

"Yakima, the leading cargo management equipment brand in the United States, is an iconic brand with a loyal consumer following," said C.S. Lin, CEO of Kemflo. "We have had the pleasure of serving as a strategic supply chain partner with Yakima for the last nine years and have first hand knowledge of the opportunity for growing the brand both in the U.S. and internationally.  We look forward to working closely with its experienced management team to grow the brand, expand its capabilities and bring more consumers into the Yakima family. Kemflo will bring new resources to Yakima, resulting in optimized sourcing, an enhanced supply chain, and more efficiency in operations and business systems, overall," said Jerry Heinlen, CEO, Yakima. "The merger enables us to increase speed to market globally through expanded product development and market expansion initiatives.  As a long-term partner, Kemflo is familiar with our brand and products and currently manufactures several products for Yakima."

The company plans to maintain its current workforce and operational footprint, including its headquarters in Beaverton, Oregon, manufacturing facilities in Mexico, and its network of sales agencies across North America and in other countries.

About Yakima  

?Yakima is a world leader in the design and manufacture of cargo management equipment solutions for outdoor enthusiasts. Yakima’s products include: vehicle racks for bikes, boats, ski equipment and gear, a line of cargo boxes and bags for a variety of needs, as well as high performance multi-sport trailers. Yakima Products is headquartered in Beaverton, Oregon. For more information, visit www.yakima.com.

About Kemflo

Kemflo International Co., Ltd, with headquarters in Pingtung, Taiwan, is a leading manufacturer of consumer durables, water filtration, and metal and electronic products with plants located in Taiwan and China. Kemflo makes a wide range of products under its own brand and for well-known foreign brands. It has 1,900 employees with offices in Taiwan, China, U.S. and Europe.

Rumor sounds rather ridiculous to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcapita

Looks like it was true back when the thread was making the GD rounds. Previous owner.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Looks like it was true back when the thread was making the GD rounds. Previous owner.

Holy shit... they owned Church's Chicken too!

Of course it says nothing at all about funding terrorism, only that there was an anti-muslim boycott, probably via chain email.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#24]
You stated that you have a 2004 F150. Is it a Super Cab ( 1/2 doors) or a Super Crew( full doors ) There is a slight dimension issue. A Super Cab has a 6ft bed where as a  super crew has a 5.5ft bed and the inside dimension are also slightly more narrow in the crew vs cab. I used to sell accessories for Ford F150s unless I saw the truck I would not sell the product unless the customer new what he had. Also 2003 was the last year of the old body style 97.5-03 new style 04 ( Sept of 04 ) to 09.5

Maybe the manufacture doesn't specify between the two models. Could be a design flaw in the rack and the people who make it have know idea what the fuck they are doing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#25]
The sticker was made in America. Every thing else we made in China.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Pics
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit... they owned Church's Chicken too!

Of course it says nothing at all about funding terrorism, only that there was an anti-muslim boycott, probably via chain email.

Neither did I.

I mentioned islamic extremists. Arcapita made (makes?) business decisions based on sharia law. By American standards, sharia is extreme.

I'd prefer my money go to supporting businesses owned and operated by more like-minded people, and when I'm made aware of products or companies owned by people who I disagree with, I stop doing business with them.

That thread stuck in my mind because frankly, I don't want my money
going to sharia-practicing people. If that makes me a bigot, so be it. Sharia law is incompatible with the Constitution.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top