Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2010 10:14:31 AM EDT
I watch a lot of hunting shows on Versus channel.  You know what I find funny?  The host(s) will be decked out in all this camo - shirts, hats, jackets, pants, probably socks and underwear, too - but then wear this fucking glow-in-the-dark orange vest.  

I know you're supposed to make yourself easily visible so you don't get bagged by other hunters, but it makes me wonder why they bother with the rest of the camo stuff.  If the day-glo orange vests don't scare away the game, why do you need the rest of your clothes to be stealthy?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#1]
color blind animals?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:16:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
color blind animals?

What I mean, though, is that if neon orange vests don't scare away deer, why would regular jeans, shirts and jackets?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#3]
The camo breaks up the outline.

Having camo arms, legs and head can make your silloutte much harder to pick out to animals.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#4]
It's usually a state requirement for the vests, so you try to comply with that, and cover the rest up.

I've only had to wear them for pheasant hunting in IL, so I didn't care much about camo at the time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I love how they whisper to the camera in their heated blind on a game preserve while talking about hunting hard in the beautiful outdoors only to shoot an animal that cannot get away while talking about the elation of the hunt and working toward conservation.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#6]

I've wondered that myself.  Any orange I wear has a camo pattern.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Having camo arms, legs and head can make your silloutte much harder to pick out to animals.

So why can't they pick out the neon orange vests and hats?  That doesn't exactly blend in with the trees and stuff.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#8]
You don't hunt, do you?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I love going hunting but I think the shows are kind of stupid.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So why can't they pick out the neon orange vests and hats?  That doesn't exactly blend in with the trees and stuff.
A) Deer don't see the color.  B)It doesn't look like anything other than a random shape.  Are you scared of shapes?

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is harder to see a 3 foot square than it is a 6 foot.  The Orange is for humans to easily recognize.  Deer and certain other animals are colorblind.  Some companies do make an orange camo vest.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I wear an orange vest and orange camo hat when I'm walking, but not when I'm on my stand.  I take the vest off and wrap it around the tree I use for a backrest, above my head so it's visible. The hat goes into my pack, and I'm (basically) woodlands camo after that-though I sport a couple of other country's camo patterns, depending on the weather (I have a British DPM fleece jacket that absolutely KICKS ASS)

ETA: I also hunt on closely-controlled private property.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I love how they whisper to the camera in their heated blind on a game preserve while talking about hunting hard in the beautiful outdoors only to shoot an animal that cannot get away while talking about the elation of the hunt and working toward conservation.

Yes it all CAN be a bit corny on those shows I agree.  I hunt with a gun and a bow but don't get into the shows.

Looking at the bigger picture DO NOT confuse conservation with leftist/progressive tree hugging/ELF/ALF/wilderness absolute preservation.

Conservation of game species is about maintaining a healthy population for future...  USE.  Regardless the method of harvest.  While a hunter works towards conservation they maintain the hunting land for optimum growth of their targeted species.  This almost always results in a more biologically diverse area that in turn supports a larger variety of plant and animal species per acre.  It is in the hunter's best interest to make the habitat better so they can see more and better game animals.  (deer, quail, elk, ducks, pheasant, etc. etc...)

Preservation (or whatever more appropriate word) is locking up the resource and keeping it just the way it is without human intervention.  Studies show land that is locked up tends not to be as bilogically diverse as land that is WISELY managed.  Key word WISE...  

A hunter who does nothing but plant his entire acreage in deer food plots or crops is not WISELY managing the resource and will in the long run suffer from missmanagement.  Same goes for the tree huggers who demand that a plot of land be human intervention free...  

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A) Deer don't see the color.  B)It doesn't look like anything other than a random shape.  Are you scared of shapes?

They don't see the color, but can see the glow. Looks different to them than other stuff in the woods so the large orange blob stands out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I keep my hunting cloths separate from my every day cloths.  I use the same cloths for Turkey hunting when camo is critical to success.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

maybe

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#17]
No. Camo is not necessary, but it helps. The orange vest is not an issue with spooking deer. I've had doe almost step on me while wearing the vest over camo.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've wondered that myself.  Any orange I wear has a camo pattern.

Cant' wear that here.   Gotta have x amount of sq inches of SOLID blaze orange.  You can wear additional camo-orange above and beyond that, if you wish.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#19]
The part that cracks Me up:

Whisper, whisper, whisper......KA-BOOOM!!!......whisper, whisper, whisper.

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The Ol' Crew Chief

Yup.  Bothering to whisper after you just sent 130 dB downrange seems rather silly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I keep my hunting cloths separate from my every day cloths.  I use the same cloths for Turkey hunting when camo is critical to success.

This.

I wear the same clothes hunting turkey, squirrel, rabbit etc..  During deer season I have to also wear an orange vest.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Ol' Crew Chief

Yup. Bothering to whisper after you just sent 130 dB downrange seems rather silly.

You both need to spend more time in the field hunting a variety of animals if you don't understand that.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Orange color spectrum doesn't "stand out" to them...blue really does, though.  They don't see in black and white––their colors are seen a lot differently than thru your eyes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Camo hunting clothes are needed for some prey and types of hunting. I bought very good camo clothes for these. When I need to wear blaze orange I don't go buy a complete set of blaze orange clothes. I put on a Blaze orange hat and vest over my good camo clothes.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So why can't they pick out the neon orange vests and hats? That doesn't exactly blend in with the trees and stuff.
A) Deer don't see the color. B)It doesn't look like anything other than a random shape. Are you scared of shapes?

you cannot move . They wont be scared by a random shape. might as well be a rock but if you move they will see you will be made.  The difference between just a vest and normal clothes is in normal clothes that contrast they will make out that you are an animal with limbs even if you are not moving.

Im glad we don't have to wear those stupid orange vests here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top