Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2002 6:03:34 PM EDT
Use this in a manner where I can transfer files w/out opening up myself to serious hacking?  My ZoneAlarm isn't working with it well at all right now.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#1]
First of all, it's called IRC (Internet Relay Chat). mIRC is just an IRC client; one of many. Just making sure you know, because if you start telling people you are "going to chat on mIRC" they'll laugh at you.

Secondly, you should not have to worry about anyone hacking you, unless you are running an insecure mIRC script. Just don't accept any files with the extension of .VBS, as this is an attack that a lot of crackers use to infect uneducated users' computers.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#2]
What w00dy said...
Plus, you don't have to worry about attackers at chat.ar15.com, we are all nice and friendly there. (Plus, nobody there would be able to hack his way out of a wet paper bag) ;)
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#3]
no.. we just set it in fire while someones in it... kerosene soaked....
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Only accept DCC files that are .jpg or .txt.
(Photos or text)
Set your mIRC settings to make sure it asks you before accepting any DCC file transfer.
DCC private chat is safe, but make it ask anyway.
Have played on IRC for years, this has always kept me safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top