BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/14/2010 8:34:01 PM EDT
Just curious. Poll coming.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll go sit alone, but usually my grandpa will hunt at the same time on the other side of the property.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Only hunt with a partner during rifle season as I'd rather not be shot by a stray bullet and my family not know where I am or where I died.  Squirrel , I'll hunt alone as the odds of me getting hurt are slim.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Usually with 20 other random strangers intending to hunt in the same valley.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Alone.  I find that I want to hunt more than most people, so rather than wait around or not go on some days, I just do most of it by myself.

I'm looking forward to my boys getting old enough to go, then I can tell them to get out of bed and get going, lol.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The only hunting I will do with someone else is waterfowl hunting, mostly goose hunting. It never hurts to have someone else along to carry/setup/take down decoys.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I usually hunt by myself, unless you consider other people in the camp as hunting with others.

I used to hunt almost 90% by myself with no one else even in camp.

I honestly don't hunt 100 days a year anymore, so it is probably 50/50 alone /others in the camp too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I did a lot of hunting with my step dad. He was a real good guy and a hoot to be around.

ETA: This was back in Michigan.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I hunt alone. If I don't see anything I want it to be b/c of me not the person with me. Also if one monster buck walks up I want it on my wall not my buddys.

Edit: It is nice if one of your buddys is on the other end of the property hunting at the same time as you. I dont mind that. I just dont ever sit with anyone. I wouldn't mind my old man sitting with me if he were still around. Tought me everything I know about hunting.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Deer? Alone or with the wife.

Dove, with others.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#10]
alone
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Mostly alone. Sometimes with my dad,
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I responded "with a friend".... but its really probably a 50/50 split. I prefer to do my stalking alone. Having an extra pair of eyes glassing does help. It's also nice to have someone watching while driving; its hard to spot game when you have to concentrate on the jeep trail in front of you.

Before someone gives me shit for "road hunting": Yes, I spot game from my vehicle. Then I get out and hike across 3 miles and 2-300 feet of vertical up and down, while hoping the elk or deer does not move or hear my coming, and hoping the wind does not change direction.

I have never shot game from my vehicle, unless you count the rabid prairie dog that charged my truck and ate a 147gr Ranger-T for his trouble.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I hunt alone but share a camp with family and friends
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I hunt with a friend, just in case. A few times the weather has gotten hairy and we had to bug out quick or we'd be stuck for awhile.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't hunt... I stalk. And I do it in ways that freak other people out... Hunting partners would cramp my style, not to mention ensure I don't enjoy it.

My ultimate hunting goal one day is to hunt wolves with a knife... I hear you can do that in Russia.

TR85.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't hunt... I stalk. And I do it in ways that freak other people out... Hunting partners would cramp my style, not to mention ensure I don't enjoy it.

My ultimate hunting goal one day is to hunt wolves with a knife... I hear you can do that in Russia.

TR85.  

There was a teacher in one of the rural communities up here that was out jogging and got eaten by wolves.

I want to stalk and hunt bear with a bow.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#17]
For many years I did almost all of my hunting alone, even the whole deer season hunting alone and sleeping in my truck every night, but I no longer do that. It's partially because I started hunting waterfowl and got into a whole different group and mindset, and also my disability keeps me from going it alone most of the time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Do both.

Moose and bear hunting is easier with family/friends.
Also helps with the cost of fuel.
Which can be over $8.00 a gal.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Do both.

Come down here where its $3.50/gal, stock up, and carry it back and repeat every few months.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do both.

Come down here where its $3.50/gal, stock up, and carry it back and repeat every few months.

I wish.
In town is $5.49 i think but the furtheer up the river you go the more$$$ it is.
We have thought about going to Kodiak to hunt with some realtives but money is a bit tight.

Just had fresh moose soup made from meat father-in-law gave us.
Been getting by with friends/relatives giving us moose.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wish.
In town is $5.49 i think but the furtheer up the river you go the more$$$ it is.
We have thought about going to Kodiak to hunt with some realtives but money is a bit tight.

Just had fresh moose soup made from meat father-in-law gave us.
Been getting by with friends/relatives giving us moose.

I need to go hunting this year and get some. Money's been tight and I've been more concerned with going back to school. but supposedly UAA's Engineering programs are pretty good and when our gas line goes through we're going to need 'em so, away we go.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Deer? Usually alone, but grandkids are near old enough to go and learn.
Birds? Grandkids ae going if I get the chance to take 'em.

I've a lot to teach and pass on, not sure if I have the years left.

Damn you, Father time!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:20:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I prefer to share the experience with friends and family. Deer hunting is a solitary endeavor, but usually, I hunt an area with a group of friends. Waterfowl, upland bird, varmint, rabbit, squirrel, turkey, etc are to me, more enjoyable with others.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Usually with a friend, family, or both. Hunt alone sometimes, but not as much as with someone. When I hunt with someone, we are hunting the same property but not the same place.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:39:58 PM EDT
[#25]
i always hunt with my grandfather.  I hope he lives to be a hundred so i can hunt with him for another 35 years or so.  The last 22 years have been good ones since he first took me rabbit hunting when i was five.

If i didn't have someone to go with id go by mself though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#26]
duck hunting with a blind full of friends is a great way to spend the day.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Hunting is a father/son thing for me. I never go hunting without dad.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:44:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Hunting with a buddy or family member is more fun, but sometimes work schedules just won't allow it.  It sucks to drag a deer for a 1/2 mile and load it up by yourself.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:51:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Alone.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:12:57 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TR85.  

There was a teacher in one of the rural communities up here that was out jogging and got eaten by wolves.

Bring a teacher as bait... Note taken.

TR85.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:19:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Around 90% alone, and 10% with someone.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:35:59 AM EDT
[#33]
I haven't gone in a number of years, but it was usually family oriented, only occasionally with friends.  I very seldom went alone.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:37:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I hunt with a friend but we part ways when we arrive at the hunting destination. It's always good to have a helping hand to help drag and deer
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:43:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:45:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Lots of times, I want to be left the hell alone.

Hunting is one of them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:04:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Depends on the season.  Archery season - about half the time alone, half the time with my brother.  Gun deer season though is always with the whole family.  Its been a family tradition for as long as i've been hunting - and its going to stay that way for a long, long time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:19:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Alone usually.    I grab my gear, walk out my front door, walk between 200 and 500 yards and climb into one of my stands.  

Every now and then I will invite someone over to hunt, so on those days I guess you can say I go hunting with somebody.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:29:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Depends on what I am hunting.  Hogs, I go with a friend.  Deer, most of the time I go alone.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:37:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Always more than 2.
We never sit together but are always in the same woods together.
Now "woods" can be a broad term. 4 guys "hunting together" on 6,000 acres is not close.

2 hunters, working together can hunt far more effectively than 1.  Same goes for 3 or 4 or 5

You get 5 or 6 trusted friends, and hunt a good plan I can guarantee at least 2 of them will have shooting situations. At  least in out woods.  Whether they harvest or not is up to them but the opportunity is there.

We all buthcher together and all reap the harvest. Deer hunting would not be what it is to me without the
others in camp to share it with.

Hunting alone is just lonely.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:45:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Depends on what I am hunting.  Hogs, I go with a friend.  Deer, most of the time I go alone.

Me too, sort of.  Groundhogs, alone.  Deer, with some friends.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Sometimes by myself, sometimes with one other - in those cases we head for different areas.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:35:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
alone

usually
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:40:47 AM EDT
[#44]
I hunt alone unless we're talking ducks/geese, then it's a party.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:50:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Alone up until this year. My daughter turned 10 so she can get a mentor deer tag. I don't know which one of us is more excited.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:52:56 AM EDT
[#46]
I voted with a friend BUT unless it's small game hunting, I want to go off on my own to still hunt or stand hunt.  More than one trip was spoiled by a tag along friend that talks the whole time and ruins the hunting aspect, basically reduced it to  a friendly walk in the woods.  Still friends but you can't hunt turkeys or deer like that.

I'll work a plan with folks such as when you come out at noon, push the hollow below my stand, etc. but I won't get involved in the old hoot and hollering stupid deer drives.  It's not wrong, just wrong for me to enjoy my day in the woods.  I see the 10 men driving to another 10 stand hunters as a darwinistic endeavor.

One of my more cherished memories is a late season duck hunt with my former boss before I moved and his upcoming retirement and his young lab.  We talked in a more relaxed manner than at work and missed a few opportunities at ducks due to not being focused on the ducks but it was time in the blind with a man I respect on the level of my father.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:55:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Every time I've gone hunting, I've gone with someone else.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:57:14 AM EDT
[#48]
With a group.

It isn't a good idea to hunt the Rocky Mountain Wilderness alone...at all.
Back home, in GA, I would whitetail hunt almost always alone.

ETA:  We are not hunting together, but we stay within radio range of each other.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:57:51 AM EDT
[#49]
I really only dove hunt any more and that is always a group event.  You have to have enough people to cover the fields to keep the birds moving or they just go land where ever it is empty.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:01:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Since Dad passed I gave up my hunting leases and hunt alone on my own property. At times I miss the old hunt camp but it as the years go by I'm missing it less. I always hung around hunters much older than myself ( I'm 55 ) so many of them have died or are too infirm to get out much less hunt anymore. I fear lots of knowledge is being lost as the new breed of hunter seems to prefer getting his knowledge from TV shows.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top