Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 6:54:35 PM EDT

I'm halfway there (I think), but I can't figure out how to mesh it all together to make it work.  And Google isn't helping me out tonight.

My goal is to use an FTP client on my Android phone to connect to an FTP server on my home computer.  I'd like to be able to upload pictures from my phone from anywhere doing this.  And I'd also like access to all of my music so that I can add tracks easily from anywhere.  I know it's possible, I just can't figure it out how to get the FTP server configured.

I have Windows 7 Pro on my computer.  I installed the FTP Server from the Internet Information Services and also installed the IIS Management Console.  After that I get lost.

I also have No-IP installed since my computer is behind a firewall.

Can someone help me out?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#1]
you do have an IP from your internet service provider. depending on who it is/what you pay, it is most likely a dynamic IP address that can change without notice. that makes it tough to connect to.

you'll want to have a dynamic dns application running that will automaticlly update itself with your changing IP address; that will allow you to connect to it with a name... ftp.yourReallyLongSite.com ..that you will have to pay for.

then, of course, you need to make sure your firewall will allow connections on the correct port - port 21 is typically used for FTP.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
you do have an IP from your internet service provider. depending on who it is/what you pay, it is most likely a dynamic IP address that can change without notice. that makes it tough to connect to.

you'll want to have a dynamic dns application running that will automaticlly update itself with your changing IP address; that will allow you to connect to it with a name... ftp.yourReallyLongSite.com ..that you will have to pay for.

then, of course, you need to make sure your firewall will allow connections on the correct port - port 21 is typically used for FTP.

Right.  I have No-IP running, which is a Dynamic DNS service.  I also have my firewall allowing an FTP server on port 21.  I guess I just really need help setting up the FTP Authorization Rules and FTP Authentication.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
OK, before anything else, have you gone to portforward.com, and run an external port scan to see if port 21 is in fact open ?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OK, before anything else, have you gone to portforward.com, and run an external port scan to see if port 21 is in fact open ?

Downloaded their PFPortChecker.  Says it's open using UDP, but not open using TCP.  I have it open on my router using BOTH protocols.  Not sure what's up with that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yea some vendors like comcast home have 21 blocked.

While I could go through setting up IIS I'd recommend you download filezilla's ftp server. It's setup is pretty easy.

Pretty much you do the following:
Setup your machine with a static ip address on your network outside of the dhcp pool.
Forward the ports you want to use. Pretty much with something like filezilla you will have the main port(worth changing as some home isps block 21) and some extra passive ports. Pretty much extra ports to help traffic through. You need to do this on your firewall. You might need to do this on any software firewall you have as well although you should just be able to allow filezilla through the windows one.
Know your external IP. You have services like no-ip which has free versions. You can also hit www.whatitmyip.com and just get your external address.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
honestly, dump iis and use filezilla (yes they make a client and a server)
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I have used FTP-daemon.
easier to configure and admin than the IIS shit.

I'm no MCITP though.

ETA: instead of port forwarding I'd just look for an open port and use that. You should be able to find a few that aren't being used that are still open. 21 is blocked because it's a frequent DOS or exploit target. There are a lot of others that have no particular vulnerability.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you running the stock firmware on your router, or something like dd-wrt ?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#9]
FTP server!?! WTF

Don't use FTP for anything....ANYTHING

It's 2010..SSH/SCP is what you want.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#10]
If it was my box, I would not run FTP.
edit:  that link is old as shit, let me see if I can find a better one.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are you running the stock firmware on your router, or something like dd-wrt ?

Stock
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
FTP server!?! WTF

Don't use FTP for anything....ANYTHING

It's 2010..SSH/SCP is what you want.

Word.  (I use ssh/scp on a hourly basis here).

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#13]

As I recall both filezilla and FTP-daemon will run SFTP protocols.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#14]
listen to the guys saying not to use ftp. among other issues its a bit of a pain with nat.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I could go through setting up IIS I'd recommend you download filezilla's ftp server. It's setup is pretty easy.

Setup your machine with a static ip address on your network outside of the dhcp pool.
Forward the ports you want to use. Pretty much with something like filezilla you will have the main port(worth changing as some home isps block 21) and some extra passive ports. Pretty much extra ports to help traffic through. You need to do this on your firewall. You might need to do this on any software firewall you have as well although you should just be able to allow filezilla through the windows one.
Know your external IP. You have services like no-ip which has free versions. You can also hit www.whatitmyip.com and just get your external address.

How do I do the part listed in red?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

As I recall both filezilla and FTP-daemon will run SFTP protocols.

I couldn't remember myself.

FileZilla server does not support SFTP, but it does support FTP over SSL/TLS

http://wiki.filezilla-project.org/FileZilla_FTP_Server

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok, well, this is not going to give you everything you spec'd, but until you get a better solution, can I suggest you use Orb ?
It's free, and very easy to use on an Android.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
listen to the guys saying not to use ftp. among other issues its a bit of a pain with nat.

Yep. Two ports to deal with 20/21 with NAT

SSH - port 22

FTP = cleartext passwords and your data/server compromised

SSH = AES encryption and your data/server NOT compromised...yet
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Downloaded their PFPortChecker.  Says it's open using UDP, but not open using TCP.  I have it open on my router using BOTH protocols.  Not sure what's up with that.

FTP doesn't use UDP.

Your ISP is likely blocking FTP type traffic (TCP to port 21).

You can try mapping to a different port, but be aware that FTP uses more than one port to communicate and is a bit messy to config (not to mention insecure).

You'll probably need to consider using passive as well.

A decent primer:  http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

SSH/SFTP if you can!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Two ports to deal with 20/21 with NAT

SSH - port 22

FTP = cleartext passwords and your data/server compromised

SSH = AES encryption and your data/server NOT compromised...yet

FTP must be pretty damn secure considered every single warez group still uses it to releases stuff since they moved from BBSs.

TLS encrypted, bounce commands through one server and data through 16 other servers round robin. FXP from server to server. Still the best, easiest, fastest and most secure for file transfers!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do I do the part listed in red?

If you log into your router you will see a section for DHCP. Usually it will say something like start address and number of possible dhcp clients. If your range is say 192.168.1.x(most common for home routers) say the router is 192.168.1.1. You will have a dhcp poll that say starts at 192.168.1.2 and has 25, 50, or 100 address. That means it goes from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.26,51,101. It would be better to go under your network config and check the current settings and write them down. Then go in and put it outside that range. For a class C private network(home routers will use this) the first 3 sections need to be the same as what the routers are. IE you can't go 192.168.2.1 if the routers range is 192.168.1.1. You could say set your ip as 192.168.1.150 though(maxes out at 254 as 255 is broadcast). Reason you want it out of the dhcp range is you don't want the router assigning something else the same address causing a conflict.

Does this make any sense or do I need to try to break it down further?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top