Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2010 4:08:29 PM EDT
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/09/14/2010-09-14_koran_burner_derek_fenton_fired_from_his_job_at_nj_transit.html

Koran burner Derek Fenton fired from his job at NJ Transit

BY Alison Gendar and Pete Donohue
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, September 14th 2010, 7:55 PM
es from the Koran outside a planned mosque near Ground Zero was fired from his job at NJ Transit, sources and authorities confirmed.

[email protected]

_––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Edited because some lawyers are sue happy and refuse to work for their money.

Justice Breyer may soon get to rule on whether or not Koran burning is a protected act of Free Speach. The question is does Mr.Fenton belong to a Union and will it support him or will the ACLU come out on his behalf?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Their code of ethics, please.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/09/14/2010-09-14_koran_burner_derek_fenton_fired_from_his_job_at_nj_transit.html

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Related News

Train service suspended after death on tracks

A radical who burned pages from the Koran outside a planned mosque near Ground Zero was fired from his job at NJ Transit, sources and authorities confirmed.

Derek Fenton, an 11-year employee at NJ Transit, was fired Monday, the agency said in a statement, two days after he was photographed burning the Koran.

"Mr. Fenton's public actions violated New Jersey Transit's code of ethics," NJ Transit said.

"NJ Transit concluded that Mr. Fenton violated his trust as a state employee and therefore was dismissed."

Fenton's hate-filled display occurred during a protest against the mosque on the ninth anniversary of Sept. 11.

[email protected]

I wonder what kind of display the news would consider it if you took a bunch of people hostage,and used the vehicle they were in to kill thousands of people?

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know squat about labor law but is this maybe a wrongful termination?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmm... maybe he can move to a free state now where we don't consider burning personal property a "hate-filled act".
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Related News
Train service suspended after death on tracks

A radical who burned pages from the Koran outside a planned mosque near Ground Zero was fired from his job at NJ Transit, sources and authorities confirmed.

edited sniped edits

[email protected]

I wonder what kind of display the news would consider it if you took a bunch of people hostage,and used the vehicle they were in to kill thousands of people?

You missed their original diatribe they posted on Mr. Fenton, it was very telling tome as to the bias in journalism.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder which specific passage of the code the violated - unless he did this while in uniform and/or while on duty.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Yet if he was photographed beating people away from a voting booth with a baseball bat he would be exersizing his first amendment rights.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yup, sue the dog-shit out of them, and yesterday.

He wasn't wearing a uniform, and he is a private citizen.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Poll on that page;

94% say he should not have been fired.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#10]
He's a radical for exercising his first amendment rights.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Let see, it was his Koran, he was off duty, and didn't identify himself or his employer.

Hmmm
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll be holding my breath waiting for the ACLU to defend this man.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wonder which specific passage of the code the violated - unless he did this while in uniform and/or while on duty.

Pic in link:

If they're dumb it's going to be something catchall, like "conduct unbecoming of a New Jersey Transit Authority employee".  If they're smart, "preexisting disciplinary problems"
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I predict a lawsuit, and a victory... that you will never hear about.

That being said, I didn't know that he was a state employee.

If he'd asked me ahead of time, I could have told him that this would happen.

For his sake, I hope it was worth it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#15]
1st amendment suit on the order of an atom bomb. He needs to try and own their whole damn trainset,
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok where are all the constitutional islam defenders now?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Will they ever get it right?

Radicals = Left

Reactionaries = Right

For those new in the journo-listic field...if the burner is wearing a mask, the burner is a radical.

No mask, not a radical.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

As long as he was off duty, he has 1A protection and should sue them bigtime...and win.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#19]
What about the lady who hanged the Palin effigy on her porch...did anything happen to her?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Shouldah burned a Bible, he woulda gotta promotion.

Extort money, steal from the till, sleep on company time...no problem.

Exercise 1st Amendment Right to Freedom of Speech.......fired.

Freakin' NJ........good news is, if Global Warming is real, it will soon be a sandbar.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It doesn't matter if he was on the clock or in his work uniform. You CAN legally be fired for your actions OFF the job. Even union employees (which he undoubtedly is) have gotten canned for this. People have even  been legally sued AND fired for sexual harassment for their actions at a party not sponsored by the employer, for example.

People on picket lines have been fired for their actions and they weren't on the clock either.

You ARE still accountable for your actions off the clock.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#22]
What if he burned the Holy Bible?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. With a decent lawyer, he'll never have to work another day in his life. He can spend every day burning Korans!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. With a decent lawyer, he'll never have to work another day in his life. He can spend every day burning Korans!

Yeah, a lawyer who'll take half of what he wins.

In the mean time, no paycheck, no health insurance, he'll probably lose his house...

Meh, like I said... I hope it was worth it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't matter if he was on the clock or in his work uniform. You CAN legally be fired for your actions OFF the job. Even union employees (which he undoubtedly is) have gotten canned for this. People have even  been legally sued AND fired for sexual harassment for their actions at a party not sponsored by the employer, for example.

People on picket lines have been fired for their actions and they weren't on the clock either.

You ARE still accountable for your actions off the clock.

If criminal in nature, this wasn't and there isn't anything I'd bet in the handbook describing it.

He'll grieve it, file a lawsuit and win both or settle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Their code of ethics, please.

I searched for it - but no luck in finding it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Lets see if ARFCOM's Youtube hero Chris Christie has anything to say about this.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like protected speech to me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The question is does Mr.Fenton belong to a Union and will it support him or will the ACLU come out on his behalf?

They prefer to side with minorities. I would say that he is on his own.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Government employers are bound by the First Amendment.  Lawsuit time.  Oh wait, I forgot - we hate lawyers here.  He should just take his punishment.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The question is does Mr.Fenton belong to a Union and will it support him or will the ACLU come out on his behalf?

They prefer to side with minorities. I would say that he is on his own.

You do know they're famous for defending neo-Nazis, right?

Satire
ACLU Defends Neo-Nazi Group's Right to Burn Down Its Headquarters
     NEW YORK––At a press conference Monday, American Civil Liberties Union officials announced that the organization will go to court to defend a neo-Nazi group's right to burn down ACLU headquarters.

ACLU president Nadine Strossen told reporters that her organization intends to "vigorously and passionately defend" the Georgia chapter of the American Nazi Party's First Amendment right to freely express its hatred of the ACLU by setting its New York office ablaze on Nov. 25.

"I am reminded of the words of Voltaire: 'I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,'" Strossen said. "While the ACLU vehemently disagrees with the idea of Nazis torching this building, the principle of freedom of expression must be supported in all cases. If we take away these Nazis' right to burn down our headquarters, we take away everyone's right to burn down our headquarters."
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'll be holding my breath waiting for the ACLU to defend this man.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top