Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/14/2010 10:50:19 AM EDT
Seems like the obese are over-represented in this hobby compared to other sedentary hobbies.

I wonder if there is a subconscious link between firearms and food? Perhaps it's the subconscious knowledge that they will always be able to shoot something to eat, which gives them emotional security.

Maybe I should write a paper on this.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#1]
no its to make up for not seeing there dicks.. they need a phallic symbol to hold on to..
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Firearms users tend to me middle-aged, middle-class men.

Middle-aged, middle-class men tend to have a few extra pounds on them.  Usually not obese, but stereotypically "overweight."

Surprise.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
no its to make up for not seeing there dicks.. they need a phallic symbol to hold on to..

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:1bHwdw6feOVSvM:http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt29/yowhound/swords/fencing.jpg&t=1

Gentlemen, this is how you properly own someone.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Middle-aged, middle-class men tend to have a few extra pounds on them.  Usually not obese, but stereotypically "overweight."

Surprise.  

This.

I don't think most people understand what obese really is.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

wait what?

oh those are foil fags..

real men play Epee!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:1bHwdw6feOVSvM:http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt29/yowhound/swords/fencing.jpg&t=1

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Take it back before my fat ass kicks your fat ass...plus I need time to catch my breath before I chase you down again.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#11]
No jogging required at the gun range
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#12]

oh those are foil fags..

real men play Epee!

I snee what you did you there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

touche!

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Not unless you have a sadistic trainer who makes you run a couple hundred yards in full gear before firing to simulate stress and the other physical reactions you can expect in a shooting or combat.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Surprise.  

I'd say more likely this, as you need money to play the gun game.

But...in my personal opinion (backed up by 6 credits of psychology) I'd say that many social misfits are drawn to firearms because they represent power without discipline.
Social misfits runs the gamut from the socially awkward & relatively harmless to the real strange cats.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Overrepresented by percentage of mass maybe.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#17]

There is no doubt that I use guns to compensate for a lack of physical prowess.  I'd rather win a gunfight than win a boxing match.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not unless you have a sadistic trainer who makes you run a couple hundred yards in full gear before firing to simulate stress and the other physical reactions you can expect in a shooting or combat.  

Yes...shooting wasn't as fun once it was accompanied with "You didn't get off the X when you presented your secondary...take that sandbag of brass and run the hill a few times to help your memory."
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Well look all you skinny bastages get all the chickie snacks, so so us'n fat bastages have to have something to do.

The local supply house won't sell me chloriform anymore.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I found that my groups got tighter as I put on more weight.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surprise.  

But...in my personal opinion (backed up by 6 credits of psychology) I'd say that many social misfits are drawn to firearms because they represent power without discipline.
Social misfits runs the gamut from the socially awkward & relatively harmless to the real strange cats.

a recurring theme (self included )
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surprise.  

I'd agree this is the dark side of the firearms hobby.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I found that my groups got tighter as I put on more weight.

Belly made a better rest ?

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Seems like the obese are over-represented in this hobby compared to other sedentary hobbies.

I suppose you could be correct, but what other sedentary hobbies are you using as your "control" group?

Video gamers?

Beer afficionados?

Car enthusiasts (ever seen the land whales at car shows)?

Seems like gun owners do not have a lock on the fatass market.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surprise.  

And a very accurate observation.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

...or running up five floors of stairs in full battle rattle just to go down in a hail of simunitions

eta:  As someone else said, go hang out at some automotive events and then get back to us about what hobbies attract obese people
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Seeing as how the older the shooter was the fatter he was is what got me to start working out 6 days a week again about a year ago.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Surprise.  

I think you are absolutely correct.  And I never really looked at it that way until now.  Lots of non-athletes seem to be drawn to shooting, and it is often the only manly thing they do as a hobby.  

Damn dude, I am thinking of a long list of people I know that fit the criteria.  For shame, I bet a number on our very website could tell you everything about a black rifle, but couldn't start a chainsaw if their life depended on it.  Or set up a tent or use a fly rod.  

You just hit on something.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surprise.  

And the dark side of Furries, Japanese animation festivals, Scarborough Faire, and a list of other 'misfit' activities.  I see fewer true 'geeks' involved in shooting sports than I do in other hobbies.  But, there is some cross-pollination.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#30]
America is overrun by fatasses. The shooting sports are not exempt.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#31]
My favorite is the guy so fat he needs to wheel himself round on the scooter at the gunshow.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#32]
In before that .gif of that land whale with the g18. Or that other .gif of that santa clause looking guy with the nitro.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#33]
my back fat is offended by this thread
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Flawless victory.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I think you are absolutely correct. And I never really looked at it that way until now. Lots of non-athletes seem to be drawn to shooting, and it is often the only manly thing they do as a hobby.

Damn dude, I am thinking of a long list of people I know that fit the criteria. For shame, I bet a number on our very website could tell you everything about a black rifle, but couldn't start a chainsaw if their life depended on it. Or set up a tent or use a fly rod.

Now that's just not fair.  I would use the fly rod to prod awake another camper who had already set up their tent.  In their fury at finding the tent now occupied by me, they would go into a murderous rage and attempt to kill me with a chainsaw.  Mission accomplished.  I would have acquired a tent, used a fly rod to great effect, and had a running chainsaw in a situation where my life did depend on it.  

<––––- Idaho native who had never actually fly fished until last year.  I have a pretty good handle on setting up a tent & starting a small 2-stroke engine, though.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surprise.  

That's a very plausible observation.  

As for the obese - I'm not convinced.  America's awash in fat people.  Any fairly physically undemanding activity or interest is going to have a lot of really fat devotees.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#37]
as a certified fatty, I too, take umbrage at where this thread is coming from, since these days the rotund seem to have been cast lower than pedophiles or murderers. (thank you mrs obama)

but anyway, the whole point of the fire arm is to be able to apply force "over there" without actually having to get "over there".   even the skinniest among us can not run 1000 feet per second up to a target and hit it with a killing blow.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Wow, just wow!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Y'alll can speak for yourselves, I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum.    Hey, skinny guys like to shoot too.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#40]
"are you stuck to my back honey?"
"yes. there is a pizza here."

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://www.vat19.com/blog/pizza-back.jpg

Sounds like a classic FCIPH picture/caption combo. Am I correct?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a classic FCWPH picture/caption combo. Am I correct?

the true question! the fat site will always be a star!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Surprise.  

I think you are absolutely correct.  And I never really looked at it that way until now.  Lots of non-athletes seem to be drawn to shooting, and it is often the only manly thing they do as a hobby.  

Damn dude, I am thinking of a long list of people I know that fit the criteria.  For shame, I bet a number on our very website could tell you everything about a black rifle, but couldn't start a chainsaw if their life depended on it.  Or set up a tent or use a fly rod.  

Pfft.  Smallmouth bass on spinner bait or go home.

A lot of people use fly rods where you don't have to use a fly rod.  You're aiming for the holes anyhow.  Might as well get IN the hole.    As long as current is below 1 ft/sec or so you're fine with a lure and I think it works better than flies.

At least on the Susquehanna.  *shrug*

ETA:  Now that I think about it, I've never fished South of Virginia.  Canada, ME, PA, NY, MD, DE...  but never down South.  
Well, FL if offshore counts but that's a different game and I only play it if someone invites me on their boat.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a classic FCWPH picture/caption combo. Am I correct?

the true question! the fat site will always be a star!

Meatbeasts will always love the shooting. Their hamhands enjoy guns, but alas they cannot snack on them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#45]
America is getting fatter as a whole. But, I will admit, we do seem to have more than our share of the big guys.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#46]
pshe!w pshew! pshew! my masheen gun did miss the target. FUCK YOU TARGET!!! i was mezmorized by meatloaf. i will eat you now there is no escape.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes, it's overrepresented, but for the same reason it's also an older crowd...  The hobby/sport can be enjoyed by those in poor physical condition.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#48]
No, they're just blocking out all the skinny people in the group pics.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I wonder if there is a subconscious link between firearms and food? Perhaps it's the subconscious knowledge that they will always be able to shoot something to eat, which gives them emotional security.

Maybe I should write a paper on this.

Shit man....ain't you never heard of anybody 'eating their gun'?  

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No, they're just blocking out all the skinny people in the group pics.

to be fair some of the skinny folk have been eaten
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top