Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2010 10:31:09 AM EDT
The first round that hit Kennedy - same distance same directional path, did little to no visible blunt force trauma to Kennedy, in fact he was able to respond by grabbing his neck. However, the second shot completely blows Kennedys head off. Was the 2nd bullet hitting JFKs skull enough to warrant the dramatic performance characteristics between the two rounds? This is one thing I never did understand.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Hydrostatic effect.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Cranial Enucleation.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#3]
2nd spitter
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The first round that hit Kennedy - same distance same directional path, did little to no visible blunt force trauma to Kennedy, in fact he was able to respond by grabbing his neck. However, the second shot completely blows Kennedys head off. Was the 2nd bullet hitting JFKs skull enough to warrant the dramatic performance characteristics between the two rounds? This is one thing I never did understand.

I'm no ballistics guy, but I remember reading that some rounds, including 5.56mm, require a certain amount of flesh to act on to start causing major damage.

If it hit his neck, maybe it just made a quick in and out hole, and the one that hit his head had enough impact area and volume to do damage.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Shoot a pool noodle.  Then shoot a watermelon.

There's your answer.   BTW:  It ISN'T "blunt force trauma".  Supposedly you are a gun owner, so you should know this already.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Keep in mind shot placement as well.

The third shot was higher up on the back of the skull and basically blew off a large part of the top of the President's skull. I'm not sure that it would have been as dramatic as hitting center mass of the head or even the lower half.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#7]
In. (at least 80%)
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Obviously he was hit with different rounds from different rifles fired from different locations.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Obviously he was hit with different rounds from different rifles fired from different locations.  

Duh Just watch the Oliver Stone documentary about the assination of the president entitled "JFK"
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#10]
The cranial vault is pressurized, and the brain is not an elastic tissue like other organs.  Combine those with a rifle caliber round striking at less than 100 meters. [Austin Powers]Its smashing baby, yeah![/Austin Powers]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, I'll play the nutcase in the group.  I will NEVER believe the "magic Bullet" theory.  Bullets do NOT change direction in mid air without hitting something.  That was the final finding by the Commision, right?  That this one bullet changed directions not once but twice in mid air.  Crazy.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#12]
It must be Tuesday.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, I'll play the nutcase in the group.  I will NEVER believe the "magic Bullet" theory.  Bullets do NOT change direction in mid air without hitting something.  That was the final finding by the Commision, right?  That this one bullet changed directions not once but twice in mid air.  Crazy.  

If you have ANY questions about the JFK assassination, please, for the love of all things that are holy, READ "Case Closed" by Gerald Posner.

Then you will be free of all thoughts of conspiracy and magic bullets and move on to better things in life.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Youre right, it didnt happen.  The bullet didnt change direction to hit both Kennedy and Connally.  Thats because it didnt need to.  Connally was sitting on a bumper/rocker seat which was lower and offset from Kennedy.  Seriouslt, go to Youtube and pull up the Discovery/ABC programs where they destroy all comers from the conspiracy world.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#16]
In, because this has all the makings of a good one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In, because this has all the makings of a good one.

No, sadly it doesn't.
It's been done to death
Crazy Tuesday today
Does Bipolar Disorder Exist?  We revisit thimerosal and vaccines causing autism
What next?  Someone will challenge the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's what I'll never understand; a Kennedy assassination doubting thread on a gun forum. Oswald did it, his brother Robert and JFK's brother Robert both agreed that he did it, and anyone who has fired high velocity rifle cartridges often enough know that odd things happen to the trajectory of a bullet when it is deflected by anything; even the wind.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Here's what I'll never understand; a Kennedy assassination doubting thread on a gun forum. Oswald did it, his brother Robert and JFK's brother Robert both agreed that he did it, and anyone who has fired high velocity rifle cartridges often enough know that odd things happen to the trajectory of a bullet when it is deflected by anything; even the wind.

Something like this.
Though.....I've not paid enough attention to the "JFK 'splodin' head" threads to note any of Keith_J's responses, which intrigue me.  Any links to such things would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wow.

Pure Fail.

There was no magic bullet. Connolly was sitting lower, and was leaned over when he got shot so the bullet traveled through everything. It looks like a magic bullet because they morons show him as though he sat perfectly still during the shooting.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.

Pure Fail.

There was no magic bullet. Connolly was sitting lower, and was leaned over when he got shot so the bullet traveled through everything. It looks like a magic bullet because they morons show him as though he sat perfectly still during the shooting.

Don't waste your breath....it won't do any good. Some people will just never get it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.

Pure Fail.

Indeed,that was a weird car and the occupants were seated oddly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#24]
There was nothing "magic" about that bullet.

They've reproduced the exact same ballistic path in a recreation using a similar Carcano rifle and ammunition from the same lot that Oswald used.

If watching it happen - for the second time - in slow motion doesn't convince you that Oswald simply rolled lucky dice that day, I'll await your next threads about the melting point of structural steel in skyscrapers and the real exhaust trails of commercial airliners.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have ANY questions about the JFK assassination, please, for the love of all things that are holy, READ "Case Closed" by Gerald Posner.

Then you will be free of all thoughts of conspiracy and magic bullets and move on to better things in life.

Did - horrible book.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

.223 was designed to tumble in flight so why couldn't 6.5 carcano?

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Son are you really this stupid or does my sarcasm meter need recalibration?

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

C'mon man, FFS don't do that.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Conspiracy theories are "Busy Work" for the Terminally Naive amongst Us.

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

??
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#33]
This is one of these threads where yo're to believe the very government you don't trust.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

This is one of these threads where you're to believe the very government you don't trust.

FIFY!

And, succinctly put.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is one of these threads where yo're to believe the very government you don't trust.

Yes, and instead believe any crazy, unsupported, "theory" which lacks any real evidence.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.

Pure Fail.

Indeed,that was a weird car and the occupants were seated oddly.

Umm, no. He wasn't leaned over. The seat was inboard of where most conspiracy theorists try to place it to show the bullet changed direction.

It only changed direction after striking bone in Connelly's wrist thus tumbling and slightly penetrating his thigh. Otherwise it went straight through.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:36:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No, this is one of those threads where facts and logic are stubborn things.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Youre right, it didnt happen.  The bullet didnt change direction to hit both Kennedy and Connally.  Thats because it didnt need to.  Connally was sitting on a bumper/rocker seat which was lower and offset from Kennedy.  Seriouslt, go to Youtube and pull up the Discovery/ABC programs where they destroy all comers from the conspiracy world.

This.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm in.

Strangely I don't hate Kennedy conspiracy guys like truthers.

truthers can actually cause harm by deflecting the blame from the real culprits and possibly cause another attack if we aren't vigilant.

These guys are just weirdos that have watched too much TV.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#40]
The only questions you can reasonably ask about the JFK assassination have to do with Oswald's motives and possible soviet connections.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, and instead believe any crazy, unsupported, "theory" which lacks any real evidence.

I just finished reading the original 'I Am Legend' book a few weeks ago and was struck by a passage Neville read from some Van Helsing book (on vampires) while researching what the hell they were (to combat them) and why they had remained folklore:  "The strength of vampires is that nobody believes in them."

I know that is a bit wordy and fictional but, true conspiracies would be buried under layers of truth and lies, light and shadow, etc.   By nature they defy explanation.  

I tend to think Oswald acted alone as far as the actual act however the bizarre chain of events after is definitely WTF?,   But really, I don't care much either way.  It would have seem more plausible that there were larger forces out to get JFK.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The only questions you can reasonably ask about the JFK assassination have to do with Oswald's motives and possible soviet mob connections.

Or at least according to the History Channel show I watched...grain of salt and all that.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#43]
1:50

Chappelle show got it right.

"Ready for the truth America? Here it comes. Oswald killed Kennedy. That's right. Lee Harvey Oswald killed John Kennedy alone and by himself... with a magic bullet. That's right, the bullet was actually magical, magic does exist, we've known about this for some 2000 years."

Here, here's some cure for AIDs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top