Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 8:42:15 AM EDT
I got called in for a second interview for an IT support job tomorrow.  First interview went well, I nailed all the usual questions: What's been your biggest challenge?  Where do you see yourself in 5 years?  Why should we hire you?  They must've liked my responses because they called back within 48 hours after saying it'd be at least 7 days.

The reason I think they liked me was I'd gotten a list of average IT interview questions from Bing and practiced them endlessly.  Haven't seen such a list for a second interview.  Any idea, from your own experiences, what questions I have to look forward to at the second interview tomorrow?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

This was going to be my comment as well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Just the usual:

1. Do you like gladiator movies.

2. Do you know the difference between the shocker and the show stopper?

3. Do you have Swingset's phone number, he won't return my calls...

That sort of thing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#4]
what kind of IT support?

sometimes the face to face interview is just to make sure you'd fit in at the company. for instance, if you have "Obama" carved into your forehead, they know somethings wrong.

eta: If they give you a marker and ask you to demonstrate polymorphic inheritance on a marker board, I apologize in advance.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
what kind of IT support?

sometimes the face to face interview is just to make sure you'd fit in at the company.

Mostly phone support for users in the field.  The company is a hospice center serving about half the state.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:46:57 AM EDT
[#7]
"Do you have a "Jacob's Ladder?"  

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Second interviews are typically to determine personality fit and not technical competence.  No good way to prep for those.  You either fit or you don't.  Be yourself, try not to out think the question.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
what kind of IT support?

sometimes the face to face interview is just to make sure you'd fit in at the company.

Mostly phone support for users in the field.  The company is a hospice center serving about half the state.

they'll be looking more at "how" you answer their questions rather than what you say.  you want phone guys to be a little sociable.  also, don't be too afraid to answer with "I'm not sure" to a technical question - no one knows everything.

edit: dress nice. I've interviewed folks in flip flops and ragged jeans looking for 60-70k jobs.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#10]
You know, I've NEVER grilled people w/ technical questions when I interview them.  I worry MUCH more about them fitting in w/ my existing team.  I can tell if a person is a moron or not from good ol' conversation.  Relax, be yourself and realize if it is meant to be - it will happen!

This is from a senior IT manager (a TECHNICAL manager at that!) w/ significant experience in both private industry and government.

-AA
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
what kind of IT support?

they'll be looking more at "how" you answer their questions rather than what you say.  you want phone guys to be a little sociable.  also, don't be too afraid to answer with "I'm not sure" to a technical question - no one knows everything.

edit: dress nice. I've interviewed folks in flip flops and ragged jeans looking for 60-70k jobs.

It's about a $20k job, and I'm wearing the best clothes I have.  No jeans.

Saying "I'm not sure" has never been a problem for me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I had one where they asked me to "draw a picture of how DNS works on our whiteboard".  

That was fun , and I got the job!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top