Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/14/2010 7:53:51 AM EDT
Spin-off thread

People are telling me that it isn't retarded.  I disagree.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Capitalism.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#2]
i think selling excess gold for real world money is great..
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I think you should investigate the issue further before you declare it retarded. There is real monetary value in these "virtual" world.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I would agree with that.  Would you spend real money to buy the fake money, though?

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#5]
their money...who cares?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would agree with that.  Would you spend real money to buy the fake money, though?

Why would you waste real money and valuable metals to shoot at paper plates? Why would you burn precious fossil fuel to race around Lake Tahoe all while polluting it? Why would you hike the Pacific Crest Trail if there is no money to be made off of it? Why would you jump out of an airplane for fun? Why would you climb Mt. Everest?

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would not.. and have not... but know lots that do..

Raiding in a top tier guild take a lot of scratch, especaly before WotLK came out.. and I know of many guilds that bought gold to keep the raids running smooth, and to have that server first..

but I have ways to make all teh gold I need right now.. and sitting on a pretty good stash.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I wish I had some game money to sell them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#9]
It's your hobby, do what makes you happy in pursuit of same.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#10]
$5 for 1k gold or one month for 1k gold.

Seems pretty simple to me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:01:16 AM EDT
[#11]
How else are you gonna get a huge E-peen?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I've done it.

Unless your 16 with absolutely no life I'd rather blow 20 bucks than spend 8-16 hours "farming" the gold to try to keep up. I could easily work 1 or 2 hours of overtime at a real job and save 8+ hours working in a game.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Why spend it when you can just steal it?

/edit: after reading the front page it looks like my link is the topic of another thread and most likely what the OP is referencing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
$5 for 1k gold or one month for 1k gold.

Seems pretty simple to me.

no its down to $2.50 a K now.. and if you shop around you can get it at $1.50 a K
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't see it as being anything different than buying DLC.

Whatever blows your skirt up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
their money...who cares?

Yup. Their hobby. Let them do as they see fit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#17]
You can also make a lot of money quickly by buying up valuable items in the auction houses and relisting them. It's easy, free and profitable.

However, if you don't want to spend time killing hundreds of enemies for a few good drops, then spend some real cash and have more fun. It's not rocket surgery, folks. People spend cash on silly entertainment all the time. Why is it suddenly

"retarded" when it's in a video game?
When you think about it, no entertainment really gives you anything tangible.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#18]

I would say that if the entertainment value of that investment is worth it to whoever is doing it, then that is fine.  

Go to a movie, it's $7 for a couple hours.  I don't know how much money we're talking about "spending" on this video game, but I guess that

it really doesn't matter because "value" is determined by the purchaser.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:10:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Whatever floats your boat, but my opinion is it's retarded.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You can also make a lot of money quickly by buying up valuable items in the auction houses and relisting them. It's easy, free and profitable.

However, if you don't want to spend time killing hundreds of enemies for a few good drops, then spend some real cash and have more fun. It's not rocket surgery, folks. People spend cash on silly entertainment all the time. Why is it suddenly

It's a game.  The act of playing it should be fun, no?  People are playing games that they don't find enjoyable.  It's crazy to me.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:12:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Both are fiat currencies only difference is one is for a virtual world.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a game.  The act of playing it should be fun, no?  People are playing games that they don't find enjoyable.  It's crazy to me.

yup lol its like a second job, for some.. BTDT got teh shirt.. not any more for me the computer does it..
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Doesn't seem much different to me than buying tokens at Showbiz or a video game arcade when we were kids, it's just all online now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#24]
not retarded to the people who own the websites
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#25]
I played WoW to play the game, not sit for hours grinding, or doing the same quests every day. I bought gold so I could burn out raiding end game, not burn out farming herbs and mining.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I used to make a damn good living selling items/money in Everquest.

To the tune of 500-1k$ per week. some weeks much more depending what I could get

As a teenager, it was pretty sweet to make that kind of bank playing a video game.

It was funny because I looked like a drug dealer. I had money and a pager...except the pager only recieved pages from computers with characters sitting at raid enemy spawn locations that would page when something spawned. I'd run home/inside, call 2 guys from my guild who were in the same business, boot up 6 or 7 raid level characters each and kill things meant for huge raids, then sell the drops on ebay/playerauctions.

As far as buying, eh. I've bought some gold in WoW because of the reasons listed above.

I can get more gold from one hour of OT than I could in 2 weeks of farming in game.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Retarded, but that's what blows your skirt up, at least it's not drugs...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#28]

To me it really depends on how much you are spending on virtual currency. If $45 can bring you a month of entertainement more power to you. That is quite a bargin if you consider you can easily spend more than that on a single trip to the shooting range or a "night out".

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Freedom, baby, ain't it grand?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#30]
It's retarded IMO, but hey, it's your money - spend it as you please.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Takes gold to make gold.  I don't know about you, but my time is worth quite a bit more then the time it'd take to farm that shit.  In the past I've bought small amounts that I used to make much larger amounts.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#32]
You mean trading one kind of fake money for another kind of fake money…
Both have equal “real” value.

And both are part of fantasy land.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:30:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Do you spend money to go to the movies, sporting events, or any other forms of entertainment?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:33:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Do you spend money to go to the movies, sporting events, or any other forms of entertainment?

Of course I do.  

What I don't do is buy the ticket to the movie then pay someone to fast forward to the last 20 minutes of it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Back when I was played WoW, I raided hardcore 5 days/week.

But that was the whole game to me.

NONE of it mattered but the raid itself.

Why in the blazing blue frick would I waste my valuable time farming when I could get what I needed to raid in a simple 5 minute transaction.

I had and have better things to do with my time than grind endlessly.

I paid for the fun I had in-game, no different than I am forced to pay for any fun I have outside of the game.

ALL my hobbies are ridiculously expensive.

WoW was the cheapest hobby I have EVER had.

By miles and miles cheaper.. heck.. I saved a ton of money when I played

Now I spend my time on my mountain bike... and THAT was over 3 grand of an investment.

Dont even get me started on the other hobbies...

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#36]
I play WoW very sparingly now, its my fallback when I have nothing else to do... probably play 4 hours a week max.

Anyways, I spend most of that time leveling alts, and I'd rather spend $10 for 5k gold for my epic flyer then spend the time in-game to get it all.

On another note, my friend's co-worker just plays the auction house and has hit the gold cap on 2-3 characters so far (~212,000 gold each)  He could probably make $500 easy just cashing all that gold in, maybe even enough to buy an AR, then turn around and do it again.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course I do.  

What I don't do is buy the ticket to the movie then pay someone to fast forward to the last 20 minutes of it.

Analogyfail.

It's like paying for better seats or paying to not wait in line.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#38]
It's retarded, but it's not my money, so I don't really care what other people do with it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course I do.  

Analogyfail.

Your analogy is fail!

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#40]
When I played FFXI, there were a lot of people that would buy gil, the currency in that game.  I never did it, but I can understand the thinking behind it.  When you can buy 1,000,000 gil for $30, or spend ten hours earning it the hard way, its better use of your time to work a job IRL for a few hours and buy something that doesn't exist than to sit on your ass five times that amount of time and earn something that doesn't exist.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course I do.  

No, its more like paying to not watch the previews, and skip the boring parts, but that only counts for some games.

EVE is never ending, hence, buying in game credit helps you grow faster than normal, which is great when your playing against other people who have years of game time.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course I do.  

Analogyfail.

Your analogy is fail!

No, you're paying a little extra for more enjoyment and less idle time. That is what you get when you guy in-game currency.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#43]
I think its your money and its no-one else's business how you spend it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Nope, just spending your entertainment dollar. And like others have posted, it is pretty cheap entertainment.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#45]
We spent a lot of money on these brass casings with powder and a chunk of lead...then we use it and all it does it accelerates the chunk of lead really fast through a pipe at a piece of paper...then its gone. One and done unless you pay more to use it again.

If thats what they enjoy then more power to them. They don't have to justify it to me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Fuck RMT and those that buy their wares.

All of that fake currency is either farmed using illegal means (Botting / Hacking), stolen from hacked accounts or bought with stolen credit cards.

Is it that hard to sit down and think about who is getting rich when you swipe your credit card at some Chinese Gold Farming website?

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
their money...who cares?

Yup. Their hobby. Let them do as they see fit.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#49]
So it's silly to buy fake money in a video game but sane to buy assault vests, molle packs, ghille suits, NVGs, etc as a civilian?

Kind of hypocritical wouldn't you say? The realistic probability that we are going to need any of that stuff for anything but play time is slim to none so basically we drop large amounts of cash on outfitting our real life video game character.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:06:35 AM EDT
[#50]
its not retarded as long you get enjoyment out of it and you dont spend ridiculous amount of money
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top