Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2010 5:21:31 AM EDT
My daughter (5th grade) received an "invitation" to participate in the People to People student ambassador program. She is offered an opportunity to study in England and France for 3 weeks next summer. She'll be 12. Not that my daughter isn't bright, but I am a synic and skeptic to the core of my being. I have heard of People to People, but know only what Wiki says about them.
My wifes nephew studied in China last year (10th grade). His parents made it seem like it was an honor bestowed only on the most gifted or talented students. However, they are typical pompous jackasses who insist that their progeny are gifted and talented. By proxy, they too must be gifted and talented.
It seems more like a money making venture. Their product is overseas educations/experiences for children. I think the only real requirement is a check in an amount to cover all expenses. I'm not against such things, but I'm suspicious of an organization that markets their product as being something children earn through academic achievement. Masking their marketing literature as an "invitation" when it is actually an advertisement for their product.
To be fair, I really don't know much about the organization. Also applicants are encouraged to show 3 letters of recommendation (from teachers?) with their application (not required).

My question is, are any arfcommers familiar or experienced with this organization? Can you tell me anything about it, other than what is on their site or what can be found on Wiki?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:29:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My daughter (5th grade) received an "invitation" to participate in the People to People student ambassador program. She is offered an opportunity to study in England and France for 3 weeks next summer. She'll be 12. Not that my daughter isn't bright, but I am a synic and skeptic to the core of my being. I have heard of People to People, but know only what Wiki says about them.
My wifes nephew studied in China last year (10th grade). His parents made it seem like it was an honor bestowed only on the most gifted or talented students. However, they are typical pompous jackasses who insist that their progeny are gifted and talented. By proxy, they too must be gifted and talented.
It seems more like a money making venture. Their product is overseas educations/experiences for children. I think the only real requirement is a check in an amount to cover all expenses. I'm not against such things, but I'm suspicious of an organization that markets their product as being something children earn through academic achievement. Masking their marketing literature as an "invitation" when it is actually an advertisement for their product.
To be fair, I really don't know much about the organization. Also applicants are encouraged to show 3 letters of recommendation (from teachers?) with their application (not required).

My question is, are any arfcommers familiar or experienced with this organization? Can you tell me anything about it, other than what is on their site or what can be found on Wiki?

My daughter got one also....and in doing research, it turns out that a Cat (dead) also got an invitation.     They are a Travel Agency pure and simple....their marketing technique is all the "only for smart kids" crap, and the "Gee, this is such an honor, Dad...I have to go" nagging from the kids...    And, in doing further research...the $$ they charge generally run about 2 or 3x what a comparably priced trip might run if you shopped around......so, you could take your daughter and BOTH enjoy the trip for what they want to charge for her alone....

AFARR

Edited to highlight the critical info in your post....you got it right!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:47:12 AM EDT
[#2]
My son got an invitation a couple months ago. We know some other people that have done it and they said it costs about 6 grand. I think we'll take a family vacation with that money. My son knows it's a scam and doesn't care about missing out on the 'prestige' of the event.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:53:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Scam.

People will pay almost anything for their kids. My kids got them too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:13:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I figured as much. Being a cynic and a skeptic has always served me well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top