Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/14/2010 4:09:13 AM EDT
Sitting at a red light, about 6 cars are in front of me.  Some girl pulls up behind me in an older Dodge Ram.  The light turned green and once the car in front me me started rolling the girl behind me got all pedal happy and smashed on the gas.  I was just letting out the clutch when she ran into me.  Luckily for me I was already started to move forward and she only had a couple feet to speed up so the hit wasn't incredibly hard, and I was able to keep the bike balanced.  

I pulled off into a parking lot to asses the damage and chew her a new a@*hole.  The damage to the bike was minimal.  The fender was bent slightly and the tail light mounting bracket was bent.  It rolled a little rough in neutral so I'm not sure if the axle or the drive shaft are screwed up.  I'm taking it to my dealer today to have them look into everything and order new parts.  

No insurance is getting involved.  The driver and her family want to pay out of pocket, which is fine by me.  We wrote out a statement and signed it with a witness so she cannot change the story and bail out on paying me.  I warned her it will be fairly expensive.  

Lucky for me, the girl is VERY attractive (this happened on a college campus).  Sorry guys, no pics were taken.  However, I do have her number and we have arranged to go out for a few beers and some parties.  

I will update with pics of the bike later this morning before I bring it to the dealer.

*Edit* - My bike is a 2008 Honda VTX 1800.  I bought it brand new this spring when I got home from Iraq.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:11:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Sitting at a red light, about 6 cars are in front of me.  Some girl pulls up behind me in an older Dodge Ram.  The light turned green and once the car in front me me started rolling the girl behind me got all pedal happy and smashed on the gas.  I was just letting out the clutch when she ran into me.  Luckily for me I was already started to move forward and she only had a couple feet to speed up so the hit wasn't incredibly hard, and I was able to keep the bike balanced.  

I pulled off into a parking lot to asses the damage and chew her a new a@*hole.  The damage to the bike was minimal.  The fender was bent slightly and the tail light mounting bracket was bent.  It rolled a little rough in neutral so I'm not sure if the axle or the drive shaft are screwed up.  I'm taking it to my dealer today to have them look into everything and order new parts.  

No insurance is getting involved.  The driver and her family want to pay out of pocket, which is fine by me.  We wrote out a statement and signed it with a witness so she cannot change the story and bail out on paying me.  I warned her it will be fairly expensive.  

Lucky for me, the girl is VERY attractive (this happened on a college campus).  Sorry guys, no pics were taken.  However, I do have her number and we have arranged to go out for a few beers and some parties.  

I will update with pics of the bike later this morning before I bring it to the dealer.

Soon as you get that bike fixed out of your own pocket she will never talk to you again.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:13:32 AM EDT
[#2]
She's playin you, bro.  It's workin so far.  She loves it when a plan comes together.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:15:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

*Edit* - My bike is a 2008 Honda VTX 1800.  I bought it brand new this spring when I got home from Iraq.

Those aren't the pics we're looking for.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:16:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
She's playin you, bro.  It's workin so far.  She loves it when a plan comes together.

When you think the battle is won, The battle is over and you have been defeated.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:18:47 AM EDT
[#5]
You should at least call your insurance company and tell them whats going on.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:21:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I hope, sincerely, that this works out for you.

In my experience, the whole "Hey lets be buddys and Ill pay for this..." turns into a bitter situation pretty damn quick when they see the bill.

I would have made a police report, involved insurance in the process, and let the chips fall where they may.

I can assure you that "you slammed on the brakes, and gestured wildly for her to go around, and then pulled back in front so she had no choice but to hit you."
You got played man.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:24:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yep, fuck that buddy buddy shit. Let the insurance companies deal with it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:24:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Make sure it doesn't happen until AFTER she pays you for the damages.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:28:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I've learned the hard way, always get the po-po involved.  Then when she doesn't pay or takes 3 months to reimburse you, you have something to fall back on.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:32:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Dumb move, if she decides not to pay you are fucked. Should have called law enforcement, made a report and turned it into her insurance. Fuck being Mr. nice guy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:33:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:33:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Its the pie thats going to be fairly expensive....
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:35:39 AM EDT
[#13]
She is not yout friend/potential fuck buddy. Call your insurance agent.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:35:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Double tappage.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:37:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Jebus...For that kind of money you would have had a better time at the strip club. Hope looking at her face for a few minutes was worth the cash. I'd be very surprised if you ever saw a dime of that money.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:37:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

She is not yout friend/potential fuck buddy. Call your insurance agent.

bingo.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:39:28 AM EDT
[#17]
A drunk 16 y/o smashed into my property, doing some damage. The dad agreed to pay and repair the damage. Great, I figured, no insurance involved, no tickets, no police.

Well, many months later, all I got was a "fuck you" from the dad. My property was still damaged and ugly. So, mama called the insurance company and let them know all the facts, drunk kid and all. They paid without problem or hassle. They were "glad" to know the facts too.

Bottom line: in your self interest, it's always better to deal with the party who is obligated to pay. The insurance company.

So many things can happen. Your $2,000 repair bill can be UN-reimbursed, you can go to court and get a judgment against the party, and still never collect. All the while, nothing but hassles and stress.

It's not too late, call the insurance company NOW.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:48:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Call your insurance, that girl doesn't give two shits about you and is just wanting to get off easy. I wouldn't want to take the chance of getting the bike "fixed" and then IF she paid for it. What happens when later in six months or so that stress fracture in your frame no one saw lets loose on you in mid turn, she or her insurance going to be around then to pay your medical bills or bike costs?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:52:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Allowing the little head to make financial decisions is always a recipe for great success.

Call your insurance company TODAY!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:01:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Insurance.

Now.

Do it.

Does the girl who hit you even HAVE insurance of her own?

Something about this smells fishy...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:01:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I had a guy promise to pay the bill to repair my truck.  He seemed like a decent guy and I was gullible.

Guy fucking left town to avoid paying for it.  

Lesson learned - sorry, I am calling the insurance company.

It's not that I don't trust people.  Wait, that's exactly it.  I don't trust people.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:25:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Dicey decision.  Hope it works out for you.  Make sure the beers come after she ponies up.

Hope you have an address and a license plate.  It's small claims court if they don't hold up their end of the deal.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:32:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
(this happened on a college campus)

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:34:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
(this happened on a college campus)

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:45:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I let my insurance company know of the whole deal, and I filed a report with them. My agent said she will give me a good window of time to file the report if she tries to get out of the payments.  The Police would not file a report because the damage was so minor and no one was hurt  But like I said, after the fact we wrote out our own statement and agreed that she will pay the damages, and we both signed it with a witness.

I know this was not the smartest move, but this is also the first time I've had to deal with it.  Both of our parents have been involved and it was her parents that want to pay out of pocket (their insurance).  I should know the damage cost in a couple days, if not tomorrow.  So that will be plenty of time to still file the claim if need be.

Thanks for the concerns though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:52:46 AM EDT
[#26]
First no matter what, when there is damage like yours get a police report. Your insurance may say no report not covered. Ask me how I know this.

At least with the report you can still see if she would pay out of pocket, but if she decides not to then have your insurance contact them. Thats what they are for.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#27]
I hope this goes better for you than it sounds like it will.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:08:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Tagscribe for the "she gave me a fake phone number" post...

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Leaving the scene of an accident is a crime in wisconsin!!!!!!  She didn't want POPO  on scene = no DL or outstanding warrants
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's First Post material.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's First Post material.

Sorry...would have been quicker but I had to go to the 9mm qualification range today.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:13:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Well, good luck with that.

Getting ass-holed on my motorcycle while stopped in traffic is my second-greatest motorcycling fear, right after hitting a deer.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:13:32 AM EDT
[#33]
cops and insurance would have been called as soon as i rolled to a stop, your not going to get any pie out of the deal.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#34]
REHBAPP

(Rear End Her Back And Post Pictures)
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:15:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sitting at a red light, about 6 cars are in front of me...

I never sit at the end of a line of cars waiting for a light. I always go between the cars and pull up to the cross walk.

The OP's story is the perfect example of why.

Quoted:
... it's always better to deal with the party who is obligated to pay. The insurance company.

So many things can happen. Your $2,000 repair bill can be UN-reimbursed, you can go to court and get a judgment against the party, and still never collect. All the while, nothing but hassles and stress.

+1 Always go through insurance... especially if the other person is at fault.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No insurance is getting involved.  

At the very least, report this to your agent.  And as other have stated, good luck, you are gonna need it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#38]
In Before She Claims That You Tried To Extort Sexual Favors
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

In a lot of states it's the law that you report accidents involving injury OR $500 in damage.  Too often these arrangements go south in the end

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#40]
I got rear ended at a stop light 4 or 5 years ago on my cbr. agreed to let her pay out of pocket but also got her insurance info just in case. Tried calling her on Monday with my estimate for damages and her phone was disconnected. Imediately called her insurance and their estimate was way way way higher than mine.
Mine was 700ish theirs came to 7314.

And a year later I ran into her at a party and hooked up with her.

Moral of the story? Call her insurance they have deeper ockets than she does and will take care of things like missed work rentals etc.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#41]
To teach that inattentive driver a lesson I would have taken a ride in a ambulance to the nearest hospital with bad back and neck pain.  Get the dumb bitch cited, get your bike fixed and some extra cash for you inconvenience.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Dumb move, if she decides not to pay you are fucked. Should have called law enforcement, made a report and turned it into her insurance. Fuck being Mr. nice guy.

This.

I got Fucked Over when I went that route once. Never again.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Gullible much?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#44]
I can remember reading that there is a psychological phenomenon called... <for the life of me, I can't remember>.

In any case, what it amounts to is, people see what they expect to see. A person who is pulling up to a line of cars at a light expects to see a car in front of them.

Now, what sometimes happens is, drivers will look right through you on your motorcycle and attempt to pull up behind the car in front of you... sandwiching you in the middle.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:46:42 AM EDT
[#45]
OP you are gonna get screwed, and not in the way you are wishing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Just wondering... was her number 867-5309?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I can remember reading that there is a psychological phenomenon called... <for the life of me, I can't remember>.

In any case, what it amounts to is, people see what they expect to see. A person who is pulling up to a line of cars at a light expects to see a car in front of them.

Now, what sometimes happens is, drivers will look right through you on your motorcycle and attempt to pull up behind the car in front of you... sandwiching you in the middle.

Good reason to get a brake-modulator or better yet...

http://hyperlites.com/stdsf.html

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Tag for AAR where the OP gets fucked, (figuratively and/or actually).

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Good reason to get a brake-modulator or better yet...

http://hyperlites.com/stdsf.html

I have one on my Triumph, I had one on my V-Strom... still have to get one for my new Kawi.

I think they're great. (Although, those Hyperlites look like they're even better.)

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#50]
I can not believe that it took this many posts to say this, but..........

If you had louder pipes on your bike, there's no way this would have happened.

Glad it ended without injury.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top