Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 12:02:53 AM EDT
For those who are not current college students, "blackboard" is the online interface that some colleges use for coordinating classes. Most course documents are posted, along with grades, contact information, etc. Every college that I've attended (3) use this system.

My university as of this semester is continually having difficulties. For instance, currently I can't log in. This has been on and off all semester and has screwed over a bunch of students, and professors. I've had quizzes and tests delayed because the reading material was unavailable. Has anyone else been having these issues with their college computer systems? Or does ASU technologically suck donkey balls?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:29:51 AM EDT
[#1]
They stopped using it here and went to Moodle which I Iike better.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:41:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I had an on-line class last semester when they were switching to the latest version.  I heard one instructor and a couple of students complain about it, but I didn't have any problems with it.

If I am not mistaken, the problems they had were due to browser incompatibilities.  It seems the newest BB is geared specifically towards the latest and greatest browsers.  What browser and version of that browser are you using?  I am using Google Chrome and BB has always worked just fine for me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:45:17 AM EDT
[#3]
i always thought blackboard was a fairly innocuous fount of readings until i took a closer look in the elevator and saw a blackboard logo on the card reader.

afaik the course software can be hosted locally or centrally managed.  at the fancy east coast liberal arts school i attended, we ran blackboard on the same hardware as the super-important admin stuff.  it was rarely unavailable.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:47:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't like Blackboard as much as the WebCT we used before switching to Bb. My favorite thing was the ability to submit assignments early before the deadline and have the option to re-submit it as many times as you like up until the deadline. Came in handy when I "think" my work is good enough but then find an error or have more to add. With the current Bb we're using, once it's submitted, that's it, even if you submit it a week in advance.
not to mention it seems like there's a lot of problems being had with Bb over the last two years....it goes down and everyone's SOL (both students and faculty) who rely on it for class. Last semester it went down right before finals.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

i always thought blackboard was a fairly innocuous fount of readings until i took a closer look in the elevator and saw a blackboard logo on the card reader.

afaik the course software can be hosted locally or centrally managed.  at the fancy east coast liberal arts school i attended, we ran blackboard on the same hardware as the super-important admin stuff.  it was rarely unavailable.

I believe this is how it was done until this semester. If I heard correctly from the angry professors, they centralized it and it started crashing. And these were not browser problems, they actually emailed us with progress reports from their design/repair team.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Yup, Blackboard has been monumentally FUBAR this entire semester. Most of the professors and students at my school are actually afraid because of how serious the blackboard problem is.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe this is how it was done until this semester. If I heard correctly from the angry professors, they centralized it and it started crashing. And these were not browser problems, they actually emailed us with progress reports from their design/repair team.

That sounds like what is going on over here. It's shutting down nearly the entire IT system.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Yeah, I have problems with Blackboard.  Beginning with my school using it.  It's trash.  Amateur EZboard forums are more stable and useful.  I've seen Myspace pages with better layout, and there isn't a single fucking professor that can manage to speak to the others in their program to at least make the slightest attempt at laying out their individual Bb in a similar fashion, resulting in a 3 week easter egg hunt for every class, every semester, because God fucking forgive you if you miss some requirement to "electronically sign" and return a bull shit "syllabus agreement" by some arbitrary date when the directions to do so were hidden behind 6 layers of bullshit that no one with any fucking semblance of sanity would hide a required task under.

Fuck Blackboard and the cocksuckers who peddle it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm Blackboard support at my university, ours runs fine - even did a major product upgrade over the summer

Sounds like shitty IT folks...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Ours is running fine. It was down on the first day, but it's been fine other than that.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Blackboard's running fine, but I avoid it as much as possible.  For my first degree, that thing was FUBAR every other day... hate that piece of software.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#12]
We upgraded ours over the summer and it sucks complete ASS...

It wasn't bad the last couple years but this new iteration is a complete resource hog and crashes all the fucking time..
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm Blackboard support at my university, ours runs fine - even did a major product upgrade over the summer

Sounds like shitty IT folks...
It ran fine until the upgrade.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#14]
You will have blackboard problems until the day you graduate.

Fuck that system with an inverted rabid porcupine.  Hard.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You will have blackboard problems until the day you graduate.

Fuck that system with an inverted rabid porcupine.  Hard.

No problems here - again it's not Blackboard that is the problem, it's your IT folks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Angel > Blackboard
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Only problem here was that one class would not show up for 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Angel > Blackboard

never have had (major) problem with angel, some quiz hiccups. My biggest complaint is when PSU's IT takes it down from 3-7 am for maintenance.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#19]
My college used both blackboard and WebCT, blackboard was universally considered inferior. I never used it since all my professors used WebCT. Most of the issues we encountered were people who didn't know how to make their account.

Eventually WebCT got a massive update that turned it into bloated shitware.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Most online courses I had were  read the text book then do this timed on line test where you can't get the right answer if you miss it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Blackboard has its problems, but as someone who's taught at both a Blackboard university and a Moodle university...  Moodle sucks ass.  Nearly impossible to manage and add files or content.  No mass email option (that I can find, anyway).

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#22]
BB has been shitty for me all semester.

Teachers put stuff on it and it doesn't appear until after. They've resorted to old school methods of teaching.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top