Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2002 1:57:49 PM EDT
My grandfather is turning 70 next weekend and I wanted to get him something special. He is a fine Irish man how worked on the railroads for about 30 years before he retired.

He is a Whiskey lover and I want to get him some of the best Irish or just the best whiskey I can find for under $50. Now I don't know much about whisky and what is the best so if anyone knows anything it would help. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a site that I like to call home [url]www.scotchwhisky.net[/url]
Now, he's probably not into Scotch. Fair enough, I won't sit in judgement. But you can use the site's search function with the word "Irish," and there yer'll be.

(edited because I was salivating far too much.)
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#3]
how about       THE MACALLAN????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
surprised he didn't answer this.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The man is 70, he's worked his ass off for 30 years on a railroad, and your looking for a bottle of whisky "under 50 bucks" ??????
View Quote

Read this post a couple hours ago and that was exactly what I was thinking. Didn't say it before but I'll say it now-

Cheep Fukker..

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#5]
A bottle of Jameson 1780 12 year-old Irish whiskey will do just fine.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Glenfiddich scotch and/or Gentleman Jack Tennessee whisky.

40MIKE
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Well if you're looking for scotch, Glenlivet 18 year old scotch is some good stuff.

But if you're looking for some good old fashioned Irish whiskey, I HIGHLY recommend Tullamore Dew. This stuff is absolutely the smoothest whiskey that's ever crossed my lips. It's only about $25.00 a bottle, and isn't even single malt. But it is some incredible stuff.

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Well if you're looking for scotch, Glenlivet 18 year old scotch is some good stuff.

But if you're looking for some good old fashioned Irish whiskey, I HIGHLY recommend Tullamore Dew. This stuff is absolutely the smoothest whiskey that's ever crossed my lips. It's only about $25.00 a bottle, and isn't even single malt. But it is some incredible stuff.

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#9]
what does he like????

buy the man what he drinks.
whiskey is personal and buying by price is a sure way to disappoint him.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I gave a retiring friend of the family a very expensive bottle of congac. Having known him since I was a kid his reply was typical;
Ah she's a fine bottle but 2 of her cheaper sisters would have made me just as happy.
[:)>]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Real Irishmen drink Jamison.  This thread is making me very thirsty.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A bottle of Jameson 1780 12 year-old Irish whiskey will do just fine.
View Quote

Hear hear. This is the heavenly elixir with which I toast the birthday of my Marine Corps every Novermber 10.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Two Irishmen walk out of a bar.

Hey, it could happen!

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Like 308wood said, get the man what he drinks.  And get him a little something special to go along with it, like a redhead [:D]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The man is 70, he's worked his ass off for 30 years on a railroad, and your looking for a bottle of whisky "under 50 bucks" ??????
View Quote

Read this post a couple hours ago and that was exactly what I was thinking. Didn't say it before but I'll say it now-

Cheep Fukker..

View Quote

I would love to get him a $500 bottle of whiskey but do to that I have to save money for my wife when I'm at boot camp and been laid of for the past 7 month I'm pushing it as is.

Quoted:
Like 308wood said, get the man what he drinks.  And get him a little something special to go along with it, like a redhead [:D]
View Quote

I don't know where we are going and if they have any good drinks there.

I'll just tell all of you out there this man will drink anything. I have seen him down a pitcher of Guinness in about 3 mins with no problem (No $hit) He is hard corps the man smokes camel unfiltered I just wish I could do more for him do to that he thinks the world of me and he is the only grandfather I have known.

Do to me not having any money right now I'm trying to do the best I can.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#16]
case of Bushmills.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I think the best Irish whiskey , nay the best wiskey in the world is Tyrconnell. If you have never had it , it's a treat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top