Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 5:15:30 PM EDT
I'm getting frustrated reading the news or watching it on tv, and having the news spun one way or the other.
Some dont report part of a story entirely, some over report part of a story. That or there's blatant bias towards one party or the other

I usually watch the local news (abc, fox, nbc, etc) and read whatever papers i can find.

Is there anyplace that still does fair, unbiased news? Or am i looking for a unicorn here?

trying to stay informed is getting harder

Topic change since my search is futile: What's your favorite news source?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#1]
No. The very thought is silly.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Fox is the most even reporting network, even though the libs say they're right wing leaning. They just report fairly, and balanced........Where have I heard that before?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I've sure never come across one. Of course, I know the search is futile, so I don't look, but still...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Fox.  Fair and balanced.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Now it is pretty much up to you to search it out. This can be done by using Arfcom (and other forums), social media like Twitter and Facebook, and radio scanners.

I have found following local newcasters on Twitter and Facebook to be a great way to get lots of input.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Al Jazeera.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:26:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Everyone has a bias.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#8]
so it'd be better just to read everything and just make up my own mind pretty much?

i like fox to a degree. Better than abc at least
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope.  Not even close.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#10]
The key is to read a variety of sources.  TV news is sensationalism packaged as news.  I read the WSJ, local paper, and even the NYT most days.  This allows you to come to your own conclusions.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The key is to read a variety of sources.  TV news is sensationalism packaged as news.  I read the WSJ, local paper, and even the NYT most days.  This allows you to come to your own conclusions.

Semper Fi

will do.

Change of topic then: What's ARFCOM's favorite sources for news
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Fox.  Fair and balanced.

Its the only news station I watch, but fair and balanced....... no. They are all in it for profit, so there is no such animal as a true journalist on the news today IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#13]
No. Everyone has an angle, most just wont admit it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Change of topic then: What's ARFCOM's favorite sources for news

My favorite source for news is ARFCOM, actually. Everything of note gets posted here, and there will be a handful of intelligent posts regarding each one that will lend themselves to a fair take on the matter. You have to know what to ignore, though. My posts, for instance, you wanna ignore those.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Everyone has a bias.

THIS^^^

I personally get my news from a variety of sources.  One is a magazine 'The Week' that presents different coverage of the same events in a way that at least gives more than one side of the story.  Still not 'unbiased' but it's the best I've run across so far...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Edward R. Murrow and John Cameron Swayzee

OK....I know that was 50 years ago......
these days I watch Fox news........

I particularly like  Laura Ingraham and Neil Cavuto..........
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fox.  Fair and balanced.

Its the only news station I watch, but fair and balanced....... no. They are all in it for profit, so there is no such animal as a true journalist on the news today IMHO.

Any company that doesn't make a profit doesn't stay in business long............

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fox.  Fair and balanced.

Any company that doesn't make a profit doesn't stay in business long............

As much as I like FOX, WSJ is better and more even handed.  24 hour news is a disease.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#19]
WSJ is pretty good.

I also like Stratfor, which I get free through school but even their free articles that come out every couple weeks are very good.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I prefer the BBC, but mainly because I follow international news.

- BG

EDIT:  For print, I go with the Economist.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:51:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Every person always has their own agenda - even reporters...

So you'll never find a truly fair news outlet - they'll all have some bias...

A *mix* of FoxNews, CNN, NYT, WSJ and 'daylight-hours' AM radio generally produces enough info from the majority of perspectives to draw your own conclusions...

You can completely write off and ignore purely online 'media' and broadcast TV (except for local news, there broadcast TV has it's use).
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#23]
The Wall Street Journal. They do an excellent job of keeping the editorials and the news from being one and the same, unlike almost all American media these days.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I have unplugged my TV for about a year now. All news that is news is from ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:48:00 PM EDT
[#25]
No.

I was up early and tried watching fox news. Ow my brains.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#26]
ARFCOM is the best source for news.

It's posted here before the major networks pick it up a lot of the time.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

pretty much what i have found and i am a news and politics junky.  thinks break here within minutes and it takes hours or days for major outlets to catch up.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

pretty much what i have found and i am a news and politics junky.  thinks break here within minutes and it takes hours or days for major outlets to catch up.

not only that, we often have someone on the site who is either there, nearby, involved, or knows someone who is.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:06:01 AM EDT
[#29]
FOX NEWS isnt perfect, but they are the best

They also have the most talent.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:10:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Do you think you could report the news without bias?  I sure couldn't.  

And honestly there's nothing wrong with that.  Sadly that used to be up front and acknowledged when newspapers had names like the "smalltown democrat" but today they all try to present themselves as unbiased. Understand that there is a slanted human behind every story you read or watch.  Go with multiple sources and fact check.  Get your news from a variety of sources.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:40:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Fox.  Fair and balanced.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:19:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Fox.  Fair and balanced.

And loaded with eye candy.  Makes the news more bearable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top