Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/13/2010 4:07:45 PM EDT
Can being in the same room or car with someone smoking weed cause you to fail a drug test?

I'm a recruiter and over the years I've had a few people fail the test but say that they've never used any drugs.  

My superiors say that they're lying.  I say they are stupid and I don't care either way, I'm just curious.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can being in the same room or car with someone smoking weed cause you to fail a drug test?

I'm a recruiter and over the years I've had a few people fail the test but say that they've never used any drugs.  

My superiors say that they're lying.  I say they are stupid and I don't care either way, I'm just curious.

1. No
2. Yes, it's called a false positive.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#3]
check it out...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4486550_fail-drug-test-not-illegal.html

"Medications such as Dexatrim, Advil and Aleve are drugs that read positive for THC and Ecstasy. Skip those drugs for at least 72 hours before your drug test.

Read more: How to Fail a Drug Test When Not on Illegal Drugs | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4486550_fail-drug-test-not-illegal.html#ixzz0zSTGBbFW"
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Also drinking to much water will fault some test
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#5]
From second hand smoke? no, not unless you were hot boxing a closet

Of course false positives can happen.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, you can fail without smoking.
Traces will be detected in your urine if you were in a room with someone else that was smoking marijuana.

Or so I was told... I guess I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had to retest before because all I had in my urine was water due to the fact that I had been drinking a lot of it. [Due to the fact that I had just pissed 5 minutes before I was tagged for a random test so I slugged down a bunch of water.]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Level of THC from secondhand exposure will give results under the threshold that would be reported as a positive test.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Traces will be detected in your urine if you were in a room with someone else that was smoking marijuana.

Traces? What PPM would constitute a failure?

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Uh, no.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
for weed.... no. most urine tests are not that sensitive to pickup short term second hand usage. Many times they won't pick up irregular users. tests have gotten better over the years but not good enough for that. unless your locked in snoop dogs bedroom for a few hours you'd be hard pressed to get them.

The kid that failed mine tonight said he was worried and bought his own test.  His test came up Neg.  

My test costs more money and works better or he's a fucking liar.  Either way he's not moving forward in this process.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe there was a story in the last couple of years of a female cop in the Northeast somewhere (maybe NJ?) who got into some sort of accident  with her patrol vehicle. Following her agency's protocol, she had to take a mandatory urine test. She was found to have cocaine in her system but swore up and down that she did not use any drugs of any sort, let alone cocaine.

She then claimed that her boyfriend might have used cocaine and she might have orally ingested some of his baby batter the day before she was in the accident. I wish that I could find a link because thats a great story if its true.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I remember teachers telling us not to eat poppy seed muffins before a drug test, because we would test positive for opiates.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The kid that failed mine tonight said he was worried and bought his own test.  His test came up Neg.  

My test costs more money and works better or he's a fucking liar.  Either way he's not moving forward in this process.  

How does a drug-free teen know where to purchase an at home THC test kit?

That should have been the first warning.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:22:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I am not sure about Aleve.

I tend to take Aleve and drug tests and have never failed a drug test.

Of course, I don't use illegal drugs.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#17]
If you eat poppyseeds, you WILL fail a drug test as these show up as opiates in urine and blood analysis.

Make sure you tell recruits to avoid any food with poppyseed in it at least 2 weeks before processing.  Also, tell them to avoid hanging around anywhere that marijuana is used, as the secondhand smoke can transmit THC to the bloodstream.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#18]
There was a report done about false positives.  The tv show Mythbusters also did a test and referred to the test.   Basically consuming poppy seeds prior to a test might cause a false positive.  The bad news was many employers who deny employment don't have to tell you the reason and many employers have denied employment due to "false positive" drug test results.  Although they have no idea they might be false positive.   I think the number of false positives due to poppy seed consumption was fairly high.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any big pharmacy, usually in a locked case.

Kharn

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#20]
yes, some things cause false positives
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=home+drug+test

Walgreens, CVS, Target, Amazon, etc.  I didn't know where to find one either, but that's what the internet is for.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Dopers.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He hasn't lied about smoking in general.  It's just been more than a couple months.  (so he says)

Last Tuesday he was in a car on the freeway with windows rolled up and 2 people lit up.  (so he says)

I've seen the at home drug tests at most drug stores.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea... But back in high school I had a buddy on probation go to jail for failing a drug test.
He didn't smoke, but he did ride in a car with some people that were.

I am fairly sure he wouldn't be dumb enough to smoke, but then again, it was high school.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Could a test administered by humans show an incorrect result?

Unpossible.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Eating a poppy seed bagel, or anything with alot of poppy seeds will result in a false positive for heroin.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#27]
When I was at Basic, we got to go home for Christmas.  The first thing we did when we got back was take a drug test.  No one tested positive although there were a few who claimed to smoke some weed while home.

No idea if they were lying though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I've wondered that, and I kid you not, about poppyseed buns.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Eating a poppy seed bagel, or anything with alot of poppy seeds will result in a false positive for heroin.

I also had a guy pop for Meth at MEPS because he took an aderal the day before.  

Shitty part is that he took it on accident.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhh, the sign over the appropriate aisle at my local Wal*Mart says "Home Drug Tests"

Right next to the condoms too....

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When I was at Basic, we got to go home for Christmas.  The first thing we did when we got back was take a drug test.  No one tested positive although there were a few who claimed to smoke some weed while home.

No idea if they were lying though.

Unless they smoked every day while they were back home they could have been under the threshold.

It varies by person and body type, but usually a person who is completely clean can smoke once and pass a test in under a week.  Habitual smokers can take over a month to get clean.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea... But back in high school I had a buddy on probation go to jail for failing a drug test.

I am fairly sure he wouldn't be dumb enough to smoke, but then again, it was high school.

Just to make sure I'm tracking you here, he was smart enough to get on probation but not dumb enough to smoke.
Right, gotcha.
There is no contact high.  There is no second-hand smoke high.  Sorry.
There are false positives.  That's why it is a good idea to have a lab contracted to verify the positives with a PPM chart.
Just a little pro tip.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
for weed.... no. most urine tests are not that sensitive to pickup short term second hand usage. Many times they won't pick up irregular users. tests have gotten better over the years but not good enough for that. unless your locked in snoop dogs bedroom for a few hours you'd be hard pressed to get them.

He's a fucking liar, just like all the other fuck nut poolees who don't have enough self control to not smoke weed.  Fuck um, I am guessing you are not having a hard time getting your numbers in this economy?  Sucks that you had to waste your time on Tommy Chong though

ETA

I realize I come across kinda harsh but during my time in the USMC I have lost count how many times fuck nugget shit bags fucked me over by pissing hot and leaving the shop short. You want to get high?  Cool stay out of the Corps and eat all the doritos you want.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Its pretty hard to actually fail without smoking. The test looks for the metabolites produced by your body eliminating the drug. Usually the standard at which it comes up postive is high enough, pun intended, that you wont get a false positive from other things, being in contact with others while smoking, or even occassional use. I've seen people come up clean even though I know for a fact they have smoked multiple times in the last month or two. How much one can get away with depends on the testing standard and one's individual body chemistry/diet/ect.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#38]
poppy seeds will give a false positive? Maybe if you eat 20lbs of seeds.........lol
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

possibly GOOGLE?

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#40]
I've seen false positives as well as false negatives.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#41]
I remember at MEPS the med people asking about anything we may have taken in the last 24 hours.  (tylenol, ibuprofen, etc)

Haven't heard of people never using and failing a test.  Have known some people who have smoked the day before and passed a test the next day.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just to make sure I'm tracking you here, he was smart enough to get on probation but not dumb enough to smoke.
Right, gotcha.
There is no contact high.  There is no second-hand smoke high.  Sorry.
There are false positives.  That's why it is a good idea to have a lab contracted to verify the positives with a PPM chart.
Just a little pro tip.

It was high school... Kids make mistakes.
I know I made plenty. I guess it's possible he smoked, but he told me he didn't and I don't see why he'd lie.
Like I said - it's possible he did.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any big pharmacy, usually in a locked case.

Kharn

you can get them online for about $3 each.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It took me 2 months to get clean to get in the Army and my recruiter swore up and down that I was still smoking and I wasn't. Thats the shit that pissed me off the most (and almost made me not join) was the recruiter was getting an attitude about, but like the you said Im sure you come across tons of liars and its hard to trust recruits. To answer your question, I highly doubt it, I smoked before and after my military career and I still laugh when I hear that excuse.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You're very wrong. I've been tested the next day after hanging out with my cousins and passed. My cousins are all potheads.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
He's a fucking liar, just like all the other fuck nut poolees who don't have enough self control to not smoke weed.  Fuck um, I am guessing you are not having a hard time getting your numbers in this economy?  Sucks that you had to waste your time on Tommy Chong though

I run an office full of idiots in one of the worst cities in WA.  Mission is a 10 and on the 15th.  The last 2 people I tried sending up failed the test.

I could clean them up but my tour is over soon and I'm not risking my career on some stupid kids.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I run an office full of idiots in one of the worst cities in WA.  Mission is a 10 and on the 15th.  The last 2 people I tried sending up failed the test.

I could clean them up but my tour is over soon and I'm not risking my career on some stupid kids.

LOL that reminds me my recruiter bought me some test cleanse stuff just to be safe
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm sorry,  but if the dude is in the car when somebody fires up and he doesn't take action to not be part of that situation,  then he gets what's coming.

As for the military tests,  they've refined it to work pretty damn good these days.  The days of false positives for Nuprin, poppy seeds,  and all that are gone.  If it's tested by protocol,  what it says is what it is.  The cutoff is at 50mcg/dkl,  so even someone who smoked one a week before would likely piss negative if that's all they did.  Those that piss hot are either regular users,  or ones who've smoked-up pretty good in the days prior to the test.

The place in the system that can lead to a screw up is the chain-of-custody.  There are quite a few who've gotten screwed over,  then challenged;  only to find out that somebody screwed up somewhere.  I've heard of whole batches getting thrown out because somebody didn't sign a paper or didn't place a seal properly on a bottle.  I guess those could possibly somebody's lucky day.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top