Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 3:29:10 PM EDT
I am applying for a county corrections job tomorrow and I was wondering what to expect during the hiring process and what and how much training does your department require. The lady in HR didn't know what training they give.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup.  County Detention Officer.  Send me a PM and I'll give you the skinny.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yup.  County Detention Officer.  Send me a PM and I'll give you the skinny.

PM sent. Thanks

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone else?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this with a Sheriff's dept with a future transfer to patrol?

The straight corrections jobs tend to have a high turn over rate.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#5]
My mother in law works as a corrections officer. I'm pretty sure she had to go through everything a regular sheriff's deputy would.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Sdboy, are you giving up the drywall trade?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sdboy, are you giving up the drywall trade?
Yes. Finishing around here is a specialty market and now that things have slowed down most generals are using their own guys just to keep em in work on new construction which is what I like to do. Also, I don't want to deal with the new regs on lead paint for every remodel I do and I'm so sick of flood damage I could puke.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Gotcha. I worked in construction (framing) for several years before deciding that LE was a better career. Although I miss the sense of accomplishment of a hard day's work, I don't miss the physical stress and aggravation of managing a business.

Of course, LE/corrections have challenges all their own.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Is this with a Sheriff's dept with a future transfer to patrol?

The straight corrections jobs tend to have a high turn over rate.
It is not a guarantee but a lot of the full timers have went that route.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

My mother in law works as a corrections officer. I'm pretty sure she had to go through everything a regular sheriff's deputy would.

Not likely if she works in Texas.  The governing commission in Texas has separate training and testing for peace officers and jailers.  Some have both, like me.  Some work or have worked in non-sworn (jail) or sworn positions, like me.  Most counties are not going to spend the time or money training jailers, who only require 96 hours of training for licensure and usually free or very low tuition versus 760 hours and missing from the job for five months.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I have close friends and alot of family involved in the local county corrections.

CO's go through the LE bootcamp.

Then-

Interviews

Background checks

Lie Detectors

Oral Boards

Rinse and Repeat

Very few make it all the way through.

Here, CO rank does not transfer to LE, but i believe pension does.

Be upfront and honest about every little thing.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I have close friends and alot of family involved in the local county corrections.

Then-

Interviews

Background checks

Lie Detectors

Oral Boards

Rinse and Repeat

I think the background will be the same but the HR lady didn't know about the training.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then-

Interviews

Background checks

Lie Detectors

Oral Boards

Rinse and Repeat

I think the background will be the same but the HR lady didn't know about the training.

You get tazed and you get a mouth full of CS. You know, to be certified to use it.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then-

Interviews

Background checks

Lie Detectors

Oral Boards

Rinse and Repeat

You get tazed and you get a mouth full of CS. You know, to be certified to use it.

I asked my sister to taze me but I don't think her boss would like her doing that. The CS I could do without having to go through but I've been through worse pain I hope.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then-

Interviews

Background checks

Lie Detectors

Oral Boards

Rinse and Repeat

I asked my sister to taze me but I don't think her boss would like her doing that. The CS I could do without having to go through but I've been through worse pain I hope.

There is really nothing useful in this thread.  Every state has different licensing requirements, different minimum training standards, etc.  Every department will be different.  Your best bet is to post this in your HTF and contact the agency you are attempting to be hired by for a tour of the jail.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Everyplace is going different on the training it should be P.O.S.T(Police Officer Standards of Training). For corrections it usually is about 4-8 weeks depending on what the state standards are, for the Bureau Of Prisons(Federal Prison) they do like 2 weeks of training at FLETC in GA.

Some academies make you run a 1.5 mile run in under 16:00 mins and a Q-Course of some sort for time also. A lot of PT and defensive tactics,report writing,Jail Operations,inmate searches ,use of force(Pepper Spray,Baton,Non-Lethal,Weapons-Lethal.)

Nothing to hard or difficult.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Mostly warm bodies here with very little training. At least for the smaller counties.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Unless you want to end up as a road deputy via transfer at some point (you will have lots of competition) state or federal corrections jobs are better choices. I hate jailbirds and preferred dealing with convicted felons. I had 30+ years dealing with the job here in Virginia's state prisons and I can tell you up front it is not for everyone as it can be VERY stressful on lots of different levels not to mention dangerous. Very high staff turnover on the state/county level too. I always considered county corrections somewhat of a joke except in the large city/county jails. Those officers are paid pretty well and earn every penny of it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Jail Administrator here... First things first, firm handshake with good eye contact. That is 90% of my decision factor right there.

Training, PPCT, Gage, OC, Taser (maybe), Asp/PR24, suicide prevention, restraint chair, Booking system (IE ITI, simpro), Less lethal ( pen prevent, rubber buck, tri dent, 37/40 mm, drag stabilized). They'll put some money into you, thats for sure.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Well I just got back from meeting with the jail administrator. It looks like all training is done in house.I asked about scheduling a tour and I got the god your a dumbass look followed by no. He said if they gave one to me they would have to give one to everyone. After meeting him I can see the interview if I get one is going to be nerve racking.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Well I just got back from meeting with the jail administrator. It looks like all training is done in house.I asked about scheduling a tour and I got the god your a dumbass look followed by no. He said if they gave one to me they would have to give one to everyone. After meeting him I can see the interview if I get one is going to be nerve racking.  

Odd.  One of our pre-employment criteria is a tour of the jail just to see how people react to walking into housing areas, next to inmates in halls, that sort of thing.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#22]
What county?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Double tap

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

What county?

I shot ya an IM. I don't want to give out too much info publicly.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
What county?

I shot ya an IM. I don't want to give out too much info publicly.

Got ya, well if I ever go to jail there I'll look ya up.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Odd.  One of our pre-employment criteria is a tour of the jail just to see how people react to walking into housing areas, next to inmates in halls, that sort of thing.

He may have been busy. I asked the receptionist about scheduling a time to meet someone who could answer my questions but she just called him and told him I wanted to see him so he may have not been happy about being bothered. Either way I'm going to continue the process.    

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Checked my PM, yeah if you get that job there, should be quite fun dealing with the drunk kids on the weekends.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top