Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 11:39:29 AM EDT

San Francisco reconsidering gun ban in transit ads

By TREVOR HUNNICUTT (AP) – 5 days ago

SAN FRANCISCO — The image of a woman brandishing a gun is gracing more than a dozen San Francisco bus stop shelters after the city suspended a policy banning firearms in advertisements on public transportation.

The advertisement, which gun-rights advocates created to promote a conference near the city later this month, was allowed to run after city transportation officials decided they might face a legal challenge on Second Amendment grounds for refusing it.

The Municipal Transportation Agency is "taking a step back" to review its policy in light of a recent U.S. Supreme Court decision that said Second Amendment gun protections apply on a state and local level, spokesman Paul Rose said.

The ruling "may have significantly altered the landscape in terms of gun rights in this country," Rose said. "We just want to be very clear — very transparent — about what can be posted on our system."

The poster features a black-and-white photograph of a woman with a shotgun. The red text on top says, "A violent criminal is breaking through your front door. Can you afford to be unarmed?"

The poster promotes the 25th annual Gun Rights Policy Conference in Burlingame, south of San Francisco.

The city's ban on advertisements that "appear to promote the use of firearms" was enacted several years ago due to concern about the "use and appearance" of guns throughout the public transportation system, Rose said.

The policy applies to bus shelters and light-rail train stations operated by MTA, as well as city buses and trains themselves.

The pro-gun Second Amendment Foundation said it put up the posters after hearing that a movie poster for the buddy-cop comedy "The Other Guys" had to be modified because of the city's policy. Prop guns held by stars Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg in the poster were replaced with a pepper-spray can and a badge.

The gun prohibition for the movie advertisement was troubling to Alan Gottlieb, who founded the Second Amendment Foundation, based near Seattle.

"It sort of stuck in my throat a bit," said Gottlieb, whose group previously challenged a handgun ban in San Francisco. "A picture of a firearm, surely, I believe, is protected as much as the firearm is."

He said posting the eye-catching advertisement was a "win-win" situation for the group: If the image was allowed to be posted, it would give the conference publicity. If not, Gottlieb said he believes his group would win a lawsuit in court.

The group's optimism comes just months after the 5-4 U.S. Supreme Court ruling, in McDonald v. Chicago, regarding Second Amendment gun protections on the state and local level.

Justice Samuel Alito's opinion in that case is quoted in the advertisements, some of which were labeled Monday with a disclaimer that the perspectives in the ad "do not necessarily reflect the views of the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency."

The posters drew some negative reaction from passers-by Monday morning.

"I'm not a huge fan of these posters," said Courtney Pyle, 25, a speech pathologist who says she is not a proponent of gun rights. "They don't make me feel great."

Gottlieb says San Francisco's attitude toward gun rights and the Second Amendment Foundation's views is hostile, but he sees the group's conference — just their second in the Bay area in 16 years — as an opportunity to support people who feel disenfranchised by local policies.

"San Francisco is not friendly territory to gun rights generally," he said. "There's a lot of people in the Bay area who own firearms and are discriminated against by local law enforcement."

The city will let the posters stand until a final decision is reached on the policy, Rose said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gx4e4YhdVApFm8fHZhab6TtVLkYwD9I3CTS80
This is the poster that is currently in the city transit bus shelters (you may notice Oleg Volk's photography):

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Wait, until recently they banned PICTURES of guns on public transit?  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, and I think there was a thread here about it.  Specfically, a movie poster for "The Other Guys" (a comedy) had to be altered by Columbia so that the cops were holding pepper spray instead of guns.  This was due to the official city policy that banned advertising that contained guns.  

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#3]
[facepalm]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Any one who lives near or in SF knows the douche bag city officials ignore crime and waste time with this garbage. Their balls are tucked too far into their pussies to actually combat crime.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Very effective poster.  Do you know who designed it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think the photo is from Oleg Volk, but I'm not sure.

The font on the top is unreadable for me.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Vegan Pagan Wiccan Lesbian San Fran Psycho/Mount Shasta values crowd deserve to change their mind on 2A & RTKBA because it's a way to defend themselves against the Racist Homophobic Bigoted FAR RIGHT wingers next door ...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The advertisement, which gun-rights advocates created to promote a conference near the city later this month, was allowed to run after city transportation officials decided they might face a legal challenge on Second Amendment grounds for refusing it.

How's about First Amendment ground, something these libs seem to hold near and dear unless it's against their own dogmas.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My first thought as well.

I mean I knew SF was fucked up, but damn.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

San Francisco reconsidering gun ban in transit ads

By TREVOR HUNNICUTT (AP) – 5 days ago

SAN FRANCISCO — The image of a woman brandishing a gun is gracing more than a dozen San Francisco bus stop shelters after the city suspended a policy banning firearms in advertisements on public transportation.

The Municipal Transportation Agency is "taking a step back" to review its policy in light of a recent U.S. Supreme Court decision that said Second Amendment gun protections apply on a state and local level, spokesman Paul Rose said.

The ruling "may have significantly altered the landscape in terms of gun rights in this country," Rose said. "We just want to be very clear — very transparent — about what can be posted on our system."

The poster features a black-and-white photograph of a woman with a shotgun. The red text on top says, "A violent criminal is breaking through your front door. Can you afford to be unarmed?"

The poster promotes the 25th annual Gun Rights Policy Conference in Burlingame, south of San Francisco.

The city's ban on advertisements that "appear to promote the use of firearms" was enacted several years ago due to concern about the "use and appearance" of guns throughout the public transportation system, Rose said.

The policy applies to bus shelters and light-rail train stations operated by MTA, as well as city buses and trains themselves.

The pro-gun Second Amendment Foundation said it put up the posters after hearing that a movie poster for the buddy-cop comedy "The Other Guys" had to be modified because of the city's policy. Prop guns held by stars Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg in the poster were replaced with a pepper-spray can and a badge.

The gun prohibition for the movie advertisement was troubling to Alan Gottlieb, who founded the Second Amendment Foundation, based near Seattle.

"It sort of stuck in my throat a bit," said Gottlieb, whose group previously challenged a handgun ban in San Francisco. "A picture of a firearm, surely, I believe, is protected as much as the firearm is."

He said posting the eye-catching advertisement was a "win-win" situation for the group: If the image was allowed to be posted, it would give the conference publicity. If not, Gottlieb said he believes his group would win a lawsuit in court.

The group's optimism comes just months after the 5-4 U.S. Supreme Court ruling, in McDonald v. Chicago, regarding Second Amendment gun protections on the state and local level.

Justice Samuel Alito's opinion in that case is quoted in the advertisements, some of which were labeled Monday with a disclaimer that the perspectives in the ad "do not necessarily reflect the views of the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency."

The posters drew some negative reaction from passers-by Monday morning.

"I'm not a huge fan of these posters," said Courtney Pyle, 25, a speech pathologist who says she is not a proponent of gun rights. "They don't make me feel great."

Gottlieb says San Francisco's attitude toward gun rights and the Second Amendment Foundation's views is hostile, but he sees the group's conference — just their second in the Bay area in 16 years — as an opportunity to support people who feel disenfranchised by local policies.

"San Francisco is not friendly territory to gun rights generally," he said. "There's a lot of people in the Bay area who own firearms and are discriminated against by local law enforcement."

The city will let the posters stand until a final decision is reached on the policy, Rose said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gx4e4YhdVApFm8fHZhab6TtVLkYwD9I3CTS80

This is the poster that is currently in the city transit bus shelters (you may notice Oleg Volk's photography):

Piss off!

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it says "A wharblgarbl is wharblgarblingisndf a wejfoasdfh FUAROCK whatblgarbl"
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, and I think there was a thread here about it.  Specfically, a movie poster for "The Other Guys" (a comedy) had to be altered by Columbia so that the cops were holding pepper spray instead of guns.  This was due to the official city policy that banned advertising that contained guns.  
Quoted:

Wow, I missed that. Full-power retarded.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it says "A wharblgarbl is wharblgarblingisndf a wejfoasdfh FUAROCK whatblgarbl"

That's what I read.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Liberals.

It's all about feelings.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Liberals.

It's all about feelings.

I hear you ... even here
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#16]
So now you can not only carry an unloaded gun; you can show pictures of guns in advertisements as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1076958

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I think that was someone wasting time trying to make it flashy and not thinking about the intended purpose or the broader audience of the adult population.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#19]
The poster is a lot more readable in print:

(Picture from user "Zebra" on calguns)

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I think that was someone wasting time trying to make it flashy and not thinking about the intended purpose or the broader audience of the adult population.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top