Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 11:18:41 AM EDT
I've had an expense account through my workplace since I started in this industry, but the company I worked for was fairly small.  They expected expenses submitted every 2 weeks, and they always paid out (via check) within a week, most times within days or sometimes even the same day.
This company I'm working for now is medium sized.  When they hired me they said that "we expect you to submit all expenses every two weeks".  Well, I started on August 1st, submitted my expenses from the 1-14 on the 14th, and I'm still fucking waiting a month later for that money back....
It's only $400ish bucks, but I put it all on a CC (like I usually do) and don't want to pay the interest on it if they're going to drag ass paying it out, for fuck sakes.
Am I being unreasonable in expecting my money back in less then a month?
The ironic thing is that they expect me to submit all of my field paperwork within a week, but can't cut a fucking check to me for my money I spent on their behalf in less then 30 days.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Submit every week and a 1week turnaround - pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I only get paid monthly, so I only get to submit expenses with my monthly timesheets, and in turn get expenses paid back to me monthly.  Either way, if your expenses aren't on your card for longer than a month, you shouldn't get any interest charges, correct?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I get paid biweekly, as long as my expenses are submitted a week before payday I will be reimbursed on the next paycheck.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I bill my clients every two weeks. My invoice includes my expenses, receipts are attached, (after I scan them), and it is sent for payment.

I get a check every two weeks for the previous invoice...they held back one invoice when I started.

$400.00 is a lot of Tidy-Bowl.....
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I only submit expenses when I trave (less than 4x a year) but it generally takes about 5 days from when I submit them to when the $$ hits my checking account.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Once a month - get paid the same day
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you talk to someone in accounting?  Maybe something got missed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#8]
they pay my corp amex directly

only after i spend a day completing my expense report
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I bill my clients every two weeks. My invoice includes my expenses, receipts are attached, (after I scan them), and it is sent for payment.

I get a check every two weeks for the previous invoice...they held back one invoice when I started.

$400.00 is a lot of Tidy-Bowl.....

Yeah, that seems to be pretty standard throughout the industry.....except this place.

I've been told before that when companies start either outright withholding or delaying payment on your expenses it's the first sign that they're in financial trouble.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#10]
About 5 minutes after I turn in my expense report.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Did you talk to someone in accounting?  Maybe something got missed.

I did, and the lady that handles it made it out to be a big deal, like I was waiting at a fucking VLT machine for my money so that I could either gamble it away or snort it up my nose.

She didn't understand what the big deal was (because it's not her money) and said that she would have to talk to the VP "if I wanted a check right away".....

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I only get paid monthly, so I only get to submit expenses with my monthly timesheets, and in turn get expenses paid back to me monthly.  Either way, if your expenses aren't on your card for longer than a month, you shouldn't get any interest charges, correct?

Correct.

I've never paid interest on expenses before, and I sure as fuck don't want to start now (considering we are at a month, exactly).

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#13]
If it's a small company that you are trapped in the cash crunch like so many companies are experiencing right now.  Call them up Accounts Payable and let them know.  They probably don't recognize your name as an employee and think you are a vender and probably aren't doing it on purpose.  

I remember on the CPA exam, there was a question about different sources of short term funding.  Line of Credit, Assigning Receivables, Managing Payables.  Yes not paying your venders right away is an official source of funding for businesses.  Was surprised that such a real world method was on a classroom style test.  

Shit we got a drawer filled with checks that aren't going out until the vender calls us up and asks.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I turn in my expense report the morning  I get back to work and usually have a check before the end of the day.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Work as a FSR for a medium/large company. Most of my work is overseas, my airfare is prepaid, get an advance check based on expected expenses for the 3 months I am gone. I submit expense reports every two weeks and a final one within 3 days of returning. I usually get my final expense check within 3 weeks of submitting final expenses.

Ken
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
they pay my corp amex directly

only after i spend a day completing my expense report

Same here.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I submit mine on Monday morning and they cut a check for me Friday. Smaller company though, only 47 employees last time I counted.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I only get paid monthly, so I only get to submit expenses with my monthly timesheets, and in turn get expenses paid back to me monthly. Either way, if your expenses aren't on your card for longer than a month, you shouldn't get any interest charges, correct?

Correct.

I've never paid interest on expenses before, and I sure as fuck don't want to start now (considering we are at a month, exactly).

I would tell them EXACTLY that. If you incurr interest expense, put it on your next invoice.....and start looking for a new job....
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

If it's a small company that you are trapped in the cash crunch like so many companies are experiencing right now.  Call them up Accounts Payable and let them know.  They probably don't recognize your name as an employee and think you are a vender and probably aren't doing it on purpose.  

I remember on the CPA exam, there was a question about different sources of short term funding.  Line of Credit, Assigning Receivables, Managing Payables.  Yes not paying your venders right away is an official source of funding for businesses.  Was surprised that such a real world method was on a classroom style test.  

Shit we got a drawer filled with checks that aren't going out until the vender calls us up and asks.  

That's just shitty business.  Doesn't matter what size company.  

You will build a bigger and stronger company on the shoulders of the vendors who support your mission.  The vendors who will support your mission are the ones who get paid while checks from your competition just sit in a drawer waiting to be asked for.  

I've got a client that does almost ten billion a year in sales...they pay me in 30 days like clockwork.  

Got Had another client that decided to take advantage of my already generous terms to finance their project.  I fucking fired them.  

Vendors that make me money take priority over deadbeat customers. Always.    

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Work for very large company.  Expenses are reimbursed via direct deposit within about 3 days of my submitting them electronicly.  They don't wait for receipts before processing the re-imbursement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top