Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 8:48:53 AM EDT
Does anyone have HVAC air cleaning experience.  I am trying to decide between something like the CleanEffects v. a HEPA whole home air cleaner.

There are claims that any ozone creation is harmful (EPA), but then a Harvard study says that the CleanEffects produces no more ozone that occurs naturally.  I am trying to make sense of the conflicting information that I am getting.

Anyone have one of these?  Or am I better off just going with a traditional HEPA filtrations unit.

I intend to get a whole home unit installed on our forced air HVAC system.

TIA,

Corey
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#1]
What type of whole home HEPA unit are you looking at?  Most of what we see(wholesale HVAC dist.) isn't actually true HEPA.
The Trane Clean Effects, or the Aprilaire 5000, are gonna be your best electronics.  But remember: Cleanliness is godliness.

If you look at the particulate capture data on any electronic, they do a great job at first and the slow in performance.  Keep the plates and electrodes clean and you will have a good performing product.

OTOH, don't clean it often, have many problems in your HVAC equipment and your air cleaner.

I would go Electronic, not HEPA.  Just make maintenance a regular task say every 2-3 months to clean the electrodes and plates.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What type of whole home HEPA unit are you looking at?  Most of what we see(wholesale HVAC dist.) isn't actually true HEPA.
The Trane Clean Effects, or the Aprilaire 5000, are gonna be your best electronics.  But remember: Cleanliness is godliness.

If you look at the particulate capture data on any electronic, they do a great job at first and the slow in performance.  Keep the plates and electrodes clean and you will have a good performing product.

OTOH, don't clean it often, have many problems in your HVAC equipment and your air cleaner.

I would go Electronic, not HEPA.  Just make maintenance a regular task say every 2-3 months to clean the electrodes and plates.

The HEPA unit would probably be something like an Aprilaire.  But I don't know, I am still in the process of researching it.  My HVAC guy mainly deals with the CleanEffects, so he is looking into HEPA options for me.

Are you not concerned about the ozone created by the CleanEffects?  Honestly, if it wasn't for the ozone issue my HVAC guy would probably be at my house installing one right now.

Thanks for the info.

Corey
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top