Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 7:17:55 AM EDT
Place I used to work at would give gift cards to places for performance bonuses, was that legit or were they just flying under the radar?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:19:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Taxable income.... they probably adjusted the gross amount on your next paycheck for the deductions, then removed it prior to net.  That is how it is usually done.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:20:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Most likely, you would have to claim them as income.  

I think they were flying under the radar.

Kind of the same idea as cash is king.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Taxable income.... they probably adjusted the gross amount on your next paycheck for the deductions, then removed it prior to net.  That is how it is usually done.

Definently wasn't tracked, they also would give away TVs DVD players all sorts of crap. I got 2 DVD players in one day once

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#4]
It depends... - see pg 3, bottom of right hand column.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Usually taxable income in the scenario you described.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:52:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I remember issuing a bunch of 1099's for 11.53 a piece to a bunch of insurance adjustors.  It was a Turkey that they gave each one at Xmas.  Kind of a pain to have to account for that on your taxes.

Our company used to give us $100 gifts at xmas.  They'd just hand you a paycheck for 114.37 or whatever the gross would be to get it to a $100 net.  A hair tacky but hey, whatever works.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#7]
My boss gave me $300 cash and $300 in Cabela's gift cards last Christmas. Not sure if it had anything to do with taxes but it was awesome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top