Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 6:37:57 AM EDT
Or are there any ARFcommers who do that?

What about buying a server and admin'ing your own website? How much work is that, in addition to the services of the business itself (photography).
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:45:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I have godaddy run my DNS and hostnames.

I have my own server rack at home, with a 4u box (my NAS) and 1u solaris server for my VMware ESX box.

From that I run a Debian web server on a VM.

It all works like a champ. I've got about $20k in the setup for the servers. My suggestion is that if you can't do it at home ALL THE WAY, then let someone else host it for you. (godaddy does hosting as well with good up-time)

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Moniker for domain names

Blue host for hosting  about $80/year more than 1 domain can be hosted for the $80. I forget how many but it is a lot.

I have used both of these places for years with no problems.

Once GD gets your CCard info they are difficult to dump.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:38:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Moniker for domain names

Blue host for hosting  about $80/year more than 1 domain can be hosted for the $80. I forget how many but it is a lot.

If you need big bandwidth, go with Rackspace.

Otherwise, if it's just a personal site, go with GoDaddy.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:38:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Double tap.

For once, I don't think it's my fault (18k users online!)

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:39:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Moniker for domain names

I use one time use throw away CCs for that very reason.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Readyhosting.com -
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#7]
http://www.namecheap.com for domain names.  Been using them for years.  Search the site for coupon codes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#8]

If you want to pay me in PMAG's I'll host your site at the Data Center I run.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#9]
pair.com is a great professional level provider.

running your own server at home is a great way to wind up with a hacked box, few people are really up for keeping a home server secure.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Moniker for domain names

Please explain?  I've been on Godaddy for about 6 months.  There are some annoying things, but overall, a pretty decent service.  My main dissapointment is their draconian limits on email storage and # of addresses.  But I overlook that since their hosting service is pretty good.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#11]
GoDaddy.com is the best that I've dealt with.  For something like $4 a month you can get windows hosting complete with a real SQL database.  Their tech support is pretty good too.  You call and get straight to a tech that can look into things.  I've only had to call a couple times because their systems are so reliable.  Plus you can always find coupon codes for 10% to 20%.  They also run specials like $0.99 cent domain registrations which is actually going on right now.  Enter the Promo code FALL99 when you check out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
http://www.namecheap.com for domain names.  Been using them for years.  Search the site for coupon codes.

+1 for namecheap
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been using A Small Orange for hosting for several years and have been very happy with them. No billing shenanigans and their tech support/response has been very good for me.

http://asmallorange.com/
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#14]
OP why don't you give us a better idea of what exactly you want to do.

I may be able to recommend free ways of doing what you want, or more effective/efficient ways of doing it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top